Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speed Camera Question - got Caught

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, some of you may remember that my Uncle showed up on our door step a number of weeks ago.

Anyway whilst he was here he and his friend (who lives in the UK) drove up North and went through a 70 mph zone at 70 mph except there was road works onthat day and the limit was temporarily at 50 mph.

Anyway my Uncle's friend was driving and my uncle has since gone back to Africa and his friend without his knowledge put my uncle's name down as the driver.

And today a letter asking who was the driver, etc has arrived at our address with his name on it. The real driver obviously has previous points on his license.

Now not sure what to do. We rang my uncle and I don't think he fully understands you don't mess with the law over here and make up stories. He had no knowledge of the speeding thing or that his friend had put his name as the driver until a day or so ago.

The letter says they probabaly will fine him £60 and give 3 points on the liecence. Except my uncle doesn't have a UK liecence cos he never drove here in the first place.

But it also says they might decide to take the driver to court instead of a fine and I'm thinking if they do call himto court he'll have to come from abroad or get done for not showing up in court.

Anyone got any suggestions??

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you just contact the police (if its them that sent the letter) and explain to them what has happened. At the end of the day its your uncle's business to sort out, so leave it up to him! I'm not sure whether they would take him to court or not, I think it depends how fast you were going over the limit. :yes:
  • Options
    Send it back with his name on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Send it back with his name on.

Send it back to whom with who's name on it? .. swawy .. this whole affair is confusing.

I'm just thinking what a skanky thing to do put someone else's name as the driver just cos they happened to be sitting next to you and were living abroad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Send it back to whom with who's name on it? .. swawy .. this whole affair is confusing.

I'm just thinking what a skanky thing to do put someone else's name as the driver just cos they happened to be sitting next to you and were living abroad.

Well unless i have your situation wrong...

When someone is caught on camera, the ticket automatically goes to the registered keeper of the vehicle.
    If this is what has happened then you just contact the people who issued it & tell them the name & address of the driver.

Maybe i haven't read it properly tho as i am tired.
  • Options
    just ignore the bloody thing. your uncle doesn't have a uk driving licience ...he lives a million miles away ...they aint going looking for him but ...should he come back into the country and get stopped by the old bill for something and have to give his name ...he may find theres a warrant out for his arrest for none payment of a sixty quid fine! pop down the nick or the local court houise and explain. but it is certainly nothing at all to worry about.
    last year i was driving around with a sign in the back of my motor ..."please pass ...on nine points".
  • Options
    This is the bit that worries me cos he might move back to th UK as his kids are almost 18 and will be goingto University and may come here to study so they may all move back to the UK
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Well unless i have your situation wrong...

When someone is caught on camera, the ticket automatically goes to the registered keeper of the vehicle.
    If this is what has happened then you just contact the people who issued it & tell them the name & address of the driver.

Maybe i haven't read it properly tho as i am tired.

What happened was a letter was sent to the regsitered owner and driver of the car (my uncle's friend) and he put my uncle's name down as the driver so he'd avoid getting 3 points on his licence as he probabaly already has a few already, but didn't tell my uncle this, just did it.
  • Options
    What happened was a letter was sent to the regsitered owner and driver of the car (my uncle's friend) and he put my uncle's name down as the driver so he'd avoid getting 3 points on his licence as he probabaly already has a few already, but didn't tell my uncle this, just did it.

So just tell them that then? I don't see what the big deal is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    So just tell them that then? I don't see what the big deal is.
    and its not crime we're talking about here ...it's a speeding ticket. no big deal. no big worry. just go tell 'em.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and its not crime we're talking about here ...it's a speeding ticket. no big deal. no big worry. just go tell 'em.

Well that's the thing - it says we may decide to take you to court and convict you or we may just fine you and give you three points ... but they don't tell you which until you return the form.
  • Options
    Well that's the thing - it says we may decide to take you to court and convict you or we may just fine you and give you three points ... but they don't tell you which until you return the form.
    so return the friggin form with the bits not filled in but a letter explaining ...happy birthday by the way.
  • Options
    No worries. I've copied the forms and my cousin will fax him a copy tomorrow from work and I've put a note explaining allthe things that could go wrong takingthe fall for a crime he did not commit (There's a movie in here :D )

The rest is up to him.

Tell you what though all this has made me think.

So many times on the Motorway you see stupid 50 MPH signs when it's normally 70MPH and people are zooming past you at 70 MPH and the road is perfectly clear, so you think to yourself is it back up to 70moh and the stupid work man just left the signs there or it's it still 50 mph?

BTW this happened on the M4.

Anyway people thanks for the advice !! - only 34 minutes until the end of my Birthday?

But the real partying is tomorrow!!
  • Options
    automatic three points and sixty quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    automatic three points and sixty quid.

Yeah this happened to Chris recently, twice! :yeees: