Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smear testing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How old do you have to be before you should get this? And do you come about getting a smear test?

Comments

• Options
    Usually when you turn 20 your GP will send you a letter 'inviting' you for one. But they also recommend you have one if you've been sexually active for a year. But it can vary from area to area, and there's lots of contradictory information about this on the internet.
  • Options
    I was at the doctors today and he said I should think about getting one now but I am only 17, is this too young to have one?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I was at the doctors today and he said I should think about getting one now but I am only 17, is this too young to have one?
    my docter suggested it to me because I was having regular sex at that age.
  • Options
    Well, if your doctor suggested it, maybe you should go back to him and ask him why he suggested it at your age? I don't think it's too young to have a smear if you've been sexually active for a year, but it has to be something you're comfortable with. It's not a nice thing to have to go through at the time, but in the long run it's really worth it :)
  • Options
    I'm 23 and have never had one *shrugs*

If he suggested you should then you probably better had.
  • Options
    Yeah I will. Do I just make an appointment?
  • Options
    Yeah I will. Do I just make an appointment?
    The nurse usually does it. Ask the receptionist when you call up.
  • Options
    I have to see the nurse anyway because I was told I had high blood presure so I have to get it checked again so I'll inquire about a smear test at the same time.

I don't really like the idea of someone looking up there *embaressed*
  • Options

I don't really like the idea of someone looking up there *embaressed*
    I know how you feel hun, I felt and still do, like that. The nurse outs you at ease though and its over in a few seconds. The nurse sees this kind of thing all the time and she wont bat an eye lid hun. Just be nice and fresh for her, if you know what I mean and try to relax ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for you advice :D
  • Options
    who ever does it will have probably seen hundreds and hundreds, don't worry
  • Options
    If youve been on the pill for a year then you should have one, same if youve been having sex for over a year.
    I had one when i had thrush and it hurt like hell (because of the thrush not cos its meant to hurt)
    They put lube on it for you, but be warned its cold! brrrrrr!
  • Options
    i got a letter through to have one when i was 18. the nurse lady was ok, but she had cold hands.brrr. it aint the most comfortable feeling but it doesnt hurt.
  • Options
    I live in a village with about 9000 people. thats 4500 women. say 3500 are of the age of smear testing... thats 3500 a year? :confused: 10 a day? i dont think they'll see anything new.

sometimes I think people fail to see how common these things are anyway. I'd still be embarresed going to the doctor about any 'down below' problems!

Hope things go ok hun :)
  • Options
    My mum has totally put me off, she said they use like a clamp thing. Someone please tell me exactly what they do so that I am prepared.

Sorry if you think I am worrying over something that is petty put I am just a bit nervouse about it because it is totally new too me if you get what I mean.
  • Options
    My mum has totally put me off, she said they use like a clamp thing. Someone please tell me exactly what they do so that I am prepared.

Sorry if you think I am worrying over something that is petty put I am just a bit nervouse about it because it is totally new too me if you get what I mean.
    Yes they do but you wont even see it and hardly feel it!

Whta wold you rather do? Have the test and feel a slight bit of dis-comfort or die a slow pain death of cervical cancer?
  • Options
  • Options
    i didn't have one until i was 22 cause i had major issues with the idea.

but when it came down to it, it was 2 minutes of embarrassment, 30 seconds of discomfort, and then that's it. it's really not that bad. and then it's all over for another 3 years.

the nurse will talk you through exactly what she's gonna do, which made me pretty uncomfortable, but at least there were no surprises.

and it's worth it when you get your letter saying everything is in full working order.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Here's some info from TheSite about smear tests and this may be useful too.

Don't worry about it, it may sound nasty and intrusive but Kaffrin's right, it's really not that bad.

Hope this helps some,
    CB