Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fits and alcohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend keeps having fits when she is really drunk. She drinks quite a lot but is also allergic to strawberries and has blamed this oreviously for her fits on a night out. However I know she had no strawberries on sat and was fitting in the car home. She was with it as she was telling the taxi driver where to go but then would roll her eyes back and fit.

Theres no way someone can pretend to do this so its not fake. She won't go to the doctors becsue she sez he'll just tell her to lose weight (she is overweight) and to stop drinking. she's not prepared to do either. But surely if her body is causing her to have fits and they only occur when she'd been drinking, then suely this is indicating a problem?

What can I do to help her?

Comments

• Options
    Get tough with her. Ignoring something like this wont make it go away. You could tell her parents, and next time she has a fit when your out why not take take her straight to the A & E ?
  • Options
    Re: Fits and alcohol
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Theres no way someone can pretend to do this so its not fake.

she could fake it actually, its not that hard to spaz out and act like your having a fit, she could be doing it for attention (but im not saying thats what it is)

or she could be epeleptic, you really need to get her down the doc's because this is a serious condition and be set of by all manner of things, tell her the doctors gonna be more concerned about the fits than her weight, or she could always see another doc :)
  • Options
    If your friend won't help herself, maybe you should try and get some advice to give to her so she can't ignore it. Try calling NHS direct - you can explain all her symptoms to them and see if they have any helpful suggestions:

NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

If this is left it could really start affecting her life, so it's best to encourage some action now.
  • Options
    All you can do is let your friend know how worried you are about her.

However like char_baby said, some people are vindictive, and whilst I am not saying your friend is, she may be doing it for attention, it is quite easy to fake having a fit especially if you are drunk when your inhibitions disappear. Can I ask, when she has these fits are you and your other friends also drunk, or at least have you been drinking? If so it would make is more difficult for you to see if she was faking but also you are more likely to believe what you see.

As for the doctor telling her to lose weight and stop drinking - of course that is a good place to start if she is actually having fits. However, if she is epileptic she would have fits at other times, bit just when she is drunk.

Has her strawberry allergy given her fits before?

Perhaps she doesn't want to go to the doctors because they aren't real fits?

If you still believe (it COULD be true - I am just trying to cover all possibilities) that your friend is having these fits perhaps you could tell her parents?
  • Options
    Alochol does set off fits to thoses who are prone to them. Her weight shouldnt be that much of a problem but if she is over wieght than yea she should diet only because its safer for her and those around for her to weigh less because if she has a drop fit when she's out she may fall on someone and with someone fitting on you you dnt really want them to be heavy cos it would really really hurt!

If she won go to the doc herself i think you should tell her rents because having fits is very serious, what if she has one in the bath? she's putting herself in danger by not doing anything about it.
  • Options
    I've been having these type of fits myself, first one was about 18 months ago, started on my holidays, i went to the hospital and had had blackouts(didn't drink that day) and couldn't remember things up to 15 mins ago. I was sent to the phsyatricic ward and pulled a runner as I didn't want to be dignosed being a phsyco.
    But still had a few more fits on the holidays, i jujst told me mates to keep an eye out for me. anyways, when I returned my parents were forcing to try and make me go to the doctors, i still haven't went, but i haven't had a fit now in a good few months. I don't want to be dignoised with anything, I don't want to be different. I don't want to have my drivers licience canceled because of my body crashing.
    I want to just live with this as it seems to be a normal part of my life.

Anyways, as one of the conqucence of being sent to the hospital in spain, i am left with a heafty bill to pay for the visit(insurance won't cover it) and I am not allowed to return to spain or portugal in case I go phsyco and cause damage to their citizens, any attempt of stepping foot in the country and being caught will result in me being locked up until god knows, this is just one of the things in a different country, think if it happened in my own!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lenny
    I've been having these type of fits myself, first one was about 18 months ago, started on my holidays, i went to the hospital and had had blackouts(didn't drink that day) and couldn't remember things up to 15 mins ago. I was sent to the phsyatricic ward and pulled a runner as I didn't want to be dignosed being a phsyco.
    But still had a few more fits on the holidays, i jujst told me mates to keep an eye out for me. anyways, when I returned my parents were forcing to try and make me go to the doctors, i still haven't went, but i haven't had a fit now in a good few months. I don't want to be dignoised with anything, I don't want to be different. I don't want to have my drivers licience canceled because of my body crashing.
    I want to just live with this as it seems to be a normal part of my life.

Anyways, as one of the conqucence of being sent to the hospital in spain, i am left with a heafty bill to pay for the visit(insurance won't cover it) and I am not allowed to return to spain or
    portugal in case I go phsyco and cause damage to their citizens, any attempt of stepping foot in the country and being caught will result in me being locked up until god knows, this is just one of the things in a different country, think if it happened in my own!

Oh please!:rolleyes: its just effelipsy(sp) if your fits are not an everyday thing then you wont have ur licence taken away, and you will be given medication to prevent it happening ever again.
    There would be no reason for you to be different at all, no one would know. my sister takes 1 tab in the morning and one tab at night and she never used to have fits (the only reason she does now is beacuse she has been very ill over the past few months causeing a relapes in her autism and that has strated her fits again)

You are very lucky to have minor fits( i asumme thats what they are, what actually happened?) and from what you discribed it sounds very easy to treat. my mate G has 8!:eek: different types of effilepsy and shes allergic to all its medication. So go to the docters, get the medication before you have a fit in the bath and die!

Edited to say that who ever told you ur not aloud in spainn is a knob end and you are no danger to anyone but urself...unless you happen to fall on them while having a fit.
  • Options
    Bumblebee-yep generally we've all been drinking but one time it happened when I wasn't drinking due to antibiotics but then they happened while she was in the loo and she hit her head and I didn't see but was she was shouting for her boyfriend. Her boyfriend took her home on that occasion-tho she had a cup of punch and said there must have been strawberries in it.

She has said that the allergy has caused her fits but before they started the only reaction she got was a rash.

Charbaby-Yeh I just know if this was me I wouldn't not sort it out-you can't risk your body this way. I would be straight down the doctors. I had childhood epilepsy and I don't remember them ever being concerned about my weight.

Cranky-Trouble is if I tell her parents she'll freak and tell me to keep my nose out of it, her mom will blame her drinking and how could I cause them more worry when her bro is in jail. I have suggested telling them herself and this is what she's said so do I risk her friendship because I know she sees trust as a big issue

Zella-lol its sorta not a joke cus I'm tiny and kinda weak so I found it really hard to try and support her on saturday! She has never had them in the daytime when she hasn't been drinking tho and unless she drinks in the bath, I don't think its likely-but I will tell her that.

Spanner good idea. I think I will try the NHS direct because I want her to realise that this could be extremely dangerous if she leaves it any longer. I think she's worried the doc will give her meds that she can't drink with but surely no one would risk their health for a bit of booze?!

Maybe I can get her chap to get her to sort it-she might listen to him.

Lenny she has actually had problems in the past in a mental health way so I guess this could be another worry that she doesn't want to admit to.

myabe i should give her the info and then leave her to it-her choice if she wants to ignore it then maybe that suggests she is faking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella

Edited to say that who ever told you ur not aloud in spainn is a knob end and you are no danger to anyone but urself...unless you happen to fall on them while having a fit.

Right, I've gotten letters off the spainish goverment saying that I can't lets not forget they disnoised me with something else(well not something as as I've not went to be diognoised here yet)
    But anyways, do you know who much insurance is in ireland??
    to get insrused on a 1990 toyota corolla, valud at 500euro costs me 7,900 WITH a tracker per year, and people with disability is would easily cost 1 1/2 twice the price
  • Options
    u mate sounds like mine does she ever get violent ? my mates the same we allways put it down to him being a prat but the past couple of weeks he has really being showing signs of a mental problem i put a post up because his mate told me his brain is undeveloped but i've been researching it and it looks like epilepsy. take your friend to the doctors to get ot checked out as it could be dangerous the next time she goes out drinking
  • Options
    i had a drink related fit the other friday night.
    i was lying on my mates lawn and started shaking all over and breathing/wheezing, i couldnt stop but in the end they managed to calm me down. i am not over weight and don't have any serious problems with me so i dont know what caused that to happen.

Maybe if u get someone else to go on a diet with her so she won't feel alone. Moral support. Take her to the doctors its the best thing for her to do

Sorrry i haven't been much help