Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MC's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just thought i'd say hi, as this is my first topic. So:confused:...HI:) :D

Whats your oppinion of MC-ing, d'ya think it hypes up the atmosphere and brings you up or just ruins amazing tunes by having some random bloke chattin irrelevant sh** over em?

Is their any difference in hardcore, D'n'B, old skool etc. (would you have em in one but not the other, in otherwords)

My own oppinion i've got some mad Fantazia & Dreamscape tapes with some brilliant tracks that are ruined by idiot rudebwoys chattin sh**.

Certain tracks need the vocal element, people like Stamina really do kill it, but in hardcore & old skool in general i could do without.

not saying MC's havent got talant, just need 2 be used in right place at right time. just my oppinion
:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    IMO D&B needs MC's at an event. You can't really go wrong with Skiba, Fearless, Shabba, Hyper D (rip) and Det livening up a set.

As for Hardcore I've never got bored with the likes of Sharkey, Ruff (rip) and Robbie Dee. There not just good vocally there loons aswell, which always helps to get the crowd going. I remember loads of us chatting to 'Jondashark' (Sharkey) on USH and himself rating Robbie Dee as one of the greatest MC's in Harcdcore and Jungle. Pure comic talent aswell as vocal abillity.

I think Wizzkid is the best of the more current MC's (Storm has talent but is an arrogant wanker)

MC's are shit hot at raves but many people find that they ruin a tape. The only MC's I can't stand are Junior and Man Parris.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    yeah thats a decent comment, i think i'd be inclined to agree, i think it was more my bias of having listened to loads quality tapes ova the past week that coloured my judgement.

So yeah i'd generally agree, :) in the place :( on the tape

Decent sig btw 'Watchitwitdarudebwoy..watchdis!':D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    IMO D&B needs MC's at an event. You can't really go wrong with Skiba, Fearless, Shabba, Hyper D (rip) and Det livening up a set.

:no: i have to disagree with you skive!

IMO skiba and det are the curse and downfall of the drum and bass scene.... drum&bass would be 100% better and less of a joke if they were off the scene. Det has had the same lyrics for the past 100 years and Skiba (as with most mcs on that scene) dont have any respect for the music anymore, make it all about the mcing and not the tunes and they ALWAYS chat over the tunes with vocals already on... it pisses me and my friends off so much... only decent drum&bass mcs IMO are Bassman, Shaydee and Trigga... they respect the music. And yes, hyper D of course he was THE mc! Fearless is good at crowd hype but... :no: for most MCs!

On the whole though, with other dance music im not a fan of MCs .. Moose and sharkey can stay but MCs really piss me off!!! i just want to scream SHUT UP! and more than two mcs on stage at a time is a crime (whats with this dumb mc covnention business with 12 bloody shitty mcs fighting for the mike?!!!)

rant over!!! :D
  • Options
    and HELLO Martin Bashir :) welcome..

not normally this moody *ahem* this is just a topic that i feel strongly about... bloody ms :p:) used to be such a fan of Shabba, Skiba etc.... but now i think drum&bass is moving on and moving back in a way too since Bassman got out of pison, they need to slow down, respect the music and chill :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    IMO skiba and det are the curse and downfall of the drum and bass scene....

I fail to see how a bunch of MC's can be the downfall of such a massively diverse scene. Obviously they represent a type of music you don't enjoy but that doesn't mean others doen't enjoy it. Variety is what keeps the scene alive. Shy FX is much mopre likely to be the curse and downfall of the scene with productions like Shake Your Body :eek:
    hyper D of course he was THE mc!

Stevie Hyper Dee never shut up just like the MC's you seem to dislike.
    On the whole though, with other dance music im not a fan of MCs

Thankfully your opinion isn't held by the majority of ravers. At the end of the day the MC's arn't there because people think they're crap. Most do have a talent and do their job well - hyping up the crowd and getting ravers to respond to them.
    more than two mcs on stage at a time is a crime (whats with this dumb mc covnention business with 12 bloody shitty mcs fighting for the mike?!!!)

They give each other inspiration.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In old skool, theres really not much need for it, I'm not really one for MC's in that, maybe a little, but not much.

As for Hardcore, then, well theres Sharky, a man, no a GOD, the pinicle of everything thats right and true about hardcore, he is truely someone to admire and worship, someone to, well, I cant describe him any further I'm welling up with tears of joy and adoration.

The other Hardcore MC's I could care less about to be honest, they are better when they dont say that much, a little is alright. Oh and Energy is pretty good, the very few times I've heard him on.

As for D&B, personally I'm more of a Jungle fan myself and you do need a little MC'ing with that, but not much.

The current D&B I'm not hugely keen on, it seems to have gone over a bit too much to very technically good, but not really that enjoyable to listen/dance to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    In old skool, theres really not much need for it, I'm not really one for MC's in that, maybe a little, but not much.

Robbie Dee, MC MC, Sharkey, Marley - all quality old skool MC's in my opinion.
    The other Hardcore MC's I could care less about to be honest, they are better when they dont say that much, a little is alright.

Sharkey doesn't MC to harcore as such anymore and when he does it's only to Freeform. I agree that the majority of new MC's arn't that good. Storms and arrogant wanker but I have to admit he gets the crowd motivated like no other current MC.
    As for D&B, personally I'm more of a Jungle fan myself and you do need a little MC'ing with that, but not much.

The current D&B I'm not hugely keen on, it seems to have gone over a bit too much to very technically good, but not really that enjoyable to listen/dance to.

I 100% agree with this. I'm more of a jungle and Jump Up D&B fan aswell - and I think these styles definately go well with an MC.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I know Sharky is supposed to have given up the mic, but he still does it now and then, and because its not all the time, well you can see he's really enjoying it, which makes it all the better.
  • Options
    I fail to see how a bunch of MC's can be the downfall of such a massively diverse scene. Obviously they represent a type of music you don't enjoy but that doesn't mean others doen't enjoy it. Variety is what keeps the scene alive. Shy FX is much mopre likely to be the curse and downfall of the scene with productions like Shake Your Body :eek:

Stevie Hyper Dee never shut up just like the MC's you seem to dislike.

Thankfully your opinion isn't held by the majority of ravers. At the end of the day the MC's arn't there because people think they're crap. Most do have a talent and do their job well - hyping up the crowd and getting ravers to respond to them.

They give each other inspiration.

Oooh chill Skive!! :p

in reply...

Hyper D didnt shut up.. but when he first came on the scene he was new, his style was fresh and different and even today there arent any mcs like him.. he was different. too many mcs today seem to have the same chats as e/o (and dont get me started on junior dangerous stealing hypers chats :p) have the same style... to me it jsut seems to repetative

Variety does keep the scene alive youre right, when i first started going to drum&bass raves, for me it was all about the MCs mostly but now i think the MCs take over from the music. Of course other people like it.. everyone has different tastes. but in my area and college especially the amount of people who agree with me and are getting sick of MCs just shows me im not the only one with this view.

Skive, you cant say the majority of ravers dont hold my opinion i only know a few with a different view to me but i understand theres thousands out there that i dont know who love the MCs.. but theres different types of raves. The ravers who go to all this battle of the MC and MC convention business love it but then they have other events with only a few MCs on stage at a time and those are for the people who dont like the MCs...

With drum&bass people fall into 2 catagories in it for the DJs or the MCs, and you know which catagory i fall into! :p

this is all my opinon, as i said in my first post so plz dont pick holes at me im all sensitive ;) cant take debating... oooh the stress ;)
  • Options
    :no: i have to disagree with you skive!
    IMO skiba and det are the curse and downfall of the drum and bass scene.... drum&bass would be 100% better and less of a joke if they were off the scene.

i gota disagree with skive too. i totally agree with what lil minx said. Skiba and Det are ruining dnb. simple as.
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem I have with D&B now is its all too bloody serious, some of the DJ's seem to be playing for their own benefit, not really stuff you can dance too. I mean its all very well Hype mixing with three decks, impressive I'm sure, but is it actualy good dance music?
  • Options
    Yeah thats true.. i think Hypes really talented but im not a big fan of him tbh... the scratching does my nut id rather listen to the tune!

I think the DJs that are most recognised, are most successfull, get the most money per set dont necessarily always play the best sets, yes they might be great at what they do.. but i dont always feel the tunes.
  • Options
    Oooh chill Skive!!

I am chilled mate! ;)
    Skive, you cant say the majority of ravers dont hold my opinion i only know a few with a different view to me but i understand theres thousands out there that i dont know who love the MCs.. but theres different types of raves. The ravers who go to all this battle of the MC and MC convention business love it but then they have other events with only a few MCs on stage at a time and those are for the people who dont like the MCs...

Choice for those that like the different styles of D&B is good don't you think, they very fact you can go to raves with little MCing or choose to go to one with Skiba is excellent. I think the fact that most of the big events book the big MC's shows that the majority of ravers want them there. It's also why many of the big events book certain MC's with certain DJ's (and make of point of putting it on the flyer) - because they're trying to create something for everyone.
    With drum&bass people fall into 2 catagories in it for the DJs or the MCs, and you know which catagory i fall into!

I'm not in it for the MC's or the DJ's, I'm in it for the music - whether that be sets with MCing or not. I just like good music when I hear it, and when I'm at a rave certain MC's can get me proper lively.
    Originally posted pussy_palace
    i gota disagree with skive too. i totally agree with what lil minx said. Skiba and Det are ruining dnb. simple as.

rolleyes.gif

How can two MC's 'ruin' the scene :lol: as I said before it may not be your cup of tea but a great deal of ravers do enjoy MC's and variety is what keeps the scene alive and new. Simple ass!
    I think the DJs that are most recognised, are most successfull, get the most money per set dont necessarily always play the best sets, yes they might be great at what they do.. but i dont always feel the tunes.

The DJ's that play at big events and earn the most money, are the producers of the best and most successful tunes. If you want to get recognised in an underground scene like D&B or Hardcore you need to be producing tunes. Just being able to mix is not enough!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    this is all my opinon, as i said in my first post so plz dont pick holes at me im all sensitive ;) cant take debating... oooh the stress ;)

I didn't mean to be as serious as I was - sorry. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My reason for saying that they are ruining the scene is that i think theyre making drum&bass head down the same route as garage did. See i used to like it. Years ago. Artful Dodger brought about new garage that killed it for me, and i think Shy FX used to be amazing.. got his album with wolf on, de ja vu- that one love it... him and skiba coming out into the charts with that garbage im scared its going to head down the same path.

But im pretty sure over next few years there be no place for those 'highly blessed' mcs.. my little prediction! :) Shabba needs to stop blazing crack and get his head back where it should be, Skiba needs to stop mentioning his name every 5 seconds in his lyrics, and junior dangerous needs to think up his own chats then id be a lot happier. Because, i do think they are talented. I just cant listen to them :p

and dnt worry i take everything serious mate just me when i dont have enough skunk smoke filling my lungs!
  • Options

The DJ's that play at big events and earn the most money, are the producers of the best and most successful tunes. If you want to get recognised in an underground scene like D&B or Hardcore you need to be producing tunes. Just being able to mix is not enough!

See, ive never been to a rave with twisted individual, bad company, Zinc.... id love to though! heaven!

I think Andy c and Hype are pretty well paid was it £2000 a set or something? i dont know.. well i was referring to them, and i think they great djs- but sometimes i just cant feel them. (having said that, andy c is my fave dj)
  • Options
    I cant speak for any other areas of music with MC's than dance or olld schol but personally i love them, think that mite also have somthing to do with the area that i live in. We get a lot of mc's with the scouse house and uplifting house scene the majority of whom id rate very highly. for any of you that have ever been to monrowes i think that rhythm is brilliant- theres no other word for it as is maddox, effeze, ave, wizzard i cud just keep going all day.

however ido think that if you ged a bad mc then it can ruin the night compleetley. i was in a club recently that had no mc turn up and the manager was blagged by a coustomer to give him a go on the mic and was on all nite. wudnt have been to bad but the lad on the mic in my opinion cudnt mc for shit. i like mc's when there rhymin and goin for it. i dont like the type of mc that goes really slow just sayin stuff now and again. i understand that u cant mc all the timne oeg over vocals ect but i think that doin 10 min out of every hour takes the piss aswell.

just my opinion tho