Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another problem same computer!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't get the modem working.

ARGH

I installed winxp on the computer & it installed all the drivers for everything.

Tried to use modem, No dialing sound & it doesnt acually connect to anything either!
I really am at my wits end.
I figured maybe windows xp installed the wrong thing. So i downloaded a driver from the modem makers website FOR XP.
Put that on & it still wont work.

Please someone, what am i doing wrong? The computer says modem is working fine but it aint!

I would be really grateful if someone could help me.

Comments

• Options
    Silly question but have you filled in the dial-up number so that it knows where to connect to the internet?

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Yus. Is it plugged in is the main thing?

If it's one you can plug a handset into, try doing that and see if you get a dial tone on it.

erm.

Use the manufacturer's drivers rather than the windows one.

Try ticking the "dont wait for tone" thing and see if it works.
  • Options
    I had a similar problem, yet with a graphics card. In the end I got a new one :)

Windows do suck. A new modem only costs around £4; might save you a lot of bother. But I don't know. Heh my new graphics card cost me... *thinks* nothing. But my dad paid £35.
  • Options
    This is a brand new modem so it should be ok, i only fitted it the other day. I will check its all pushed in far enough ect...

I had problems with the old one which wasn't pci. So bought this only to find this is reconised unlike the old one but it does nothing.
    I will check on the message later. Something about unable to establish a connection, i think.
    Theres nothing wrong with the cables ect as its the ones i am using right now on this pc.
    The computer says its working fine, thats my problem ITS NOT!

I tried downloading the manufactures drivers aswell but it still won't work.
    Any ideas please?
  • Options
    The only things I can think of that might help are to physicaly remove the card and push it back into the slot incase it isn't making a good connection. Or move it to another slot, and Windoze should recognise that you've moved it, and treat it as a new modem.
    You could also try uninstalling it (add/remove hardware), reboot, and let Windoze find the modem again, but this time installing the manufacturers latest drivers right from the start.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The only things I can think of that might help are to physicaly remove the card and push it back into the slot incase it isn't making a good connection. Or move it to another slot, and Windoze should recognise that you've moved it, and treat it as a new modem.
    You could also try uninstalling it (add/remove hardware), reboot, and let Windoze find the modem again, but this time installing the manufacturers latest drivers right from the start.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Thats the thing tho, it doesnt give me the choice to pick the driver if i reboot, it does it automatically. :S

I will try removing & putting the modem back in tho.
    Tommorow when i have a little patience again.
  • Options
    No one has a clue then?
  • Options
    i said new modem. can you take it back and change it? :confused:

I dunno. somethings just *dont* work with XP, when they clearly should. :confused: