Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fags at 25p each!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the latest nutty idea to stop people smoking ...
price it out of the market. are these people for real or what?
if they do it ...not only will the nhs loose the majority of it's funding but a million guys wearing bling bling shades will sell it you a lot cheaper and maybe the quality will become a bit more dangerous than it is now and beckyboo will be getting arrested for smoking in the pub ...what a mad world!

Comments

• Options
    if they finaly make it illegal ...how many of you will be criminals?58.gif
  • Options
    smoking altogether or just tobacco?
  • Options
    I read about this in the Observer. I think the main point of the suggestion is that this action would price KIDS out of the smoking loop and thus prevent them from starting to smoke.

Personally I think this is a good idea as who in their right mind would want to make it easy for kids to smoke?

If a pack of fags cost over £5 then not many kids could actually afford to start smoking. If kids start smoking later (When they have money to kill themselves) then they may not be afflicted with the ailments that the NHS has to fund by this self inflicted damage. Also - if they are older they may not be so likely or stupid to start smoking because those around them trick them into thinking its cool!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I read about this in the Observer. I think the main point of the suggestion is that this action would price KIDS out of the smoking loop and thus prevent them from starting to smoke.

Personally I think this is a good idea as who in their right mind would want to make it easy for kids to smoke?

If a pack of fags cost over £5 then not many kids could actually afford to start smoking. If kids start smoking later (When they have money to kill themselves) then they may not be afflicted with the ailments that the NHS has to fund by this self inflicted damage. Also - if they are older they may not be so likely or stupid to start smoking because those around them trick them into thinking its cool!!
    i uknow what your saying ...sounds sensible but ...wouldn't tobacco just join the rest of illegals on the same street corners where there are far more interesting things on sale AS WELL! it's a mad bad exciting world ...unfortuanately sometimes but always has been always will be ...so if kids can already afford drugs ...and tobacco is the kind of drug that would trickle down to skoolkid dealers. a fag for only 15p! another group of kids put down as criminal ...
  • Options
    Fags at 25p is a total rip-off.

Anyway, the Government wouldn't dare start charging for heterosexuality, would it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Fags at 25p is a total rip-off.

Anyway, the Government wouldn't dare start charging for heterosexuality, would it? :rolleyes:
    you may well take the piss young man but ...would it realy come as a shock to you that drinking in public bars is now illegal becuase it cuases to much work for the police ...seriously, someone will start spouting that as the next big thing to turn us into what i don't know ...maybe they are trying to turn us off altogether.
    don't allow people choices ...we will tell them what to do ...whats good ...whats bad.
    since when did the sherrif of nottingham ever dream of taking so much control of his peoples minds ...and he was a right bastard! ...mind you ...he did have black hair and a moustache.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i uknow what your saying ...sounds sensible but ...wouldn't tobacco just join the rest of illegals on the same street corners where there are far more interesting things on sale AS WELL! it's a mad bad exciting world ...unfortuanately sometimes but always has been always will be ...so if kids can already afford drugs ...and tobacco is the kind of drug that would trickle down to skoolkid dealers. a fag for only 15p! another group of kids put down as criminal ...

Yeah - I see what you are saying.

its just such a shame that smoking tobacco has become so widespread. If you think about it its such a rediculous thing to do and I hope to god none of my kids (If I have any) will get sucked into it!
  • Options
    Incidentally....

how do you propose we stop kids from starting to smoke...after all, you have to accept that any persons life/body is better off if they are a non-smoker??
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Incidentally....

how do you propose we stop kids from starting to smoke...after all, you have to accept that any persons life/body is better off if they are a non-smoker??
    i realy don't know the answers to this worlds ever more perplexing problems apart from being honest.
    all the drugs i ever took i can tell you why i took them ...except for nicotine ...it has to be the damndest addiction going. it doesn't make you laugh. doesn't make you fall over ...it just does all kinds of horrible things to you ...and still i'm its slave!
    i am far removed from any connection with a reality that says making such things illegal makes any sense ...economicaly ...criminaly ...health wise ...we all know the bad guys will sell us crap ...wise ...what happened to valuing wise people ...we seem to have a shortage of them.
  • Options
    Hmm well I'd say most kids of 12/13 etc do have a lot more money to burn (no pun intended) than a 19 year old student like me. When I was younger I remember I'd go shopping all the time for clothes or whatever with my pocket money. I reckon if I'd wanted to smoke, a fiver or a bit more for a packet of cigarettes wouldn't have bothered me that much.

Nowadays on my tiny budget all I can say is, thank god I don't smoke.
  • Options
    havent they jacked the prices up enough already? a lot of people wont give up no matter how high they go

what i want to know is where all my NI moneys going, coz by the time im a pensioner there wont be a state pension
  • Options
    if they gave fags out free ...there would be less people reaching pensionable age!