Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does anybody know the exact percentage?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know the exact percentage of how much the pill gets cancelled out if you are on antibiotics?

I dont think its 100% not-working (cant think of the word!), but id like to know exactly how much coverage you have whist you're on the antibiotics, and for the following week.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Does anybody know the exact percentage?
    Originally posted by badabing
    does anyone know the exact percentage of how much the pill gets cancelled out if you are on antibiotics?

I dont think its 100% not-working (cant think of the word!), but id like to know exactly how much coverage you have whist you're on the antibiotics, and for the following week.

It depends on the anti-biotic.

But surely anything less than the normal amount of protection is too low?

Don't take any silly risks, just use another method of protection as well.
  • Options
    Surely if it's not 100% (or nearly 100% as the pill normally is) then that's what you'd call not working?
  • Options
    I don't think theres a set percentage, all i would say is it isn't worth the risk for you.

If you have already done something, well lets hope it was a high percent.

*Hugs*
  • Options
    my brother's girlfriend took anitbiotics while she was on the pill. she didn't take any extra precautions.

i now have a nephew.

i think you know what i'm getting at.
  • Options
    When you are told how effective contraception is in percentages, it's not a guaranteed percentage for every woman, it's an average, therefore, it's only ever a ballpoint figure. Different antibiotics and different people all react in varying ways - the bottom line is, if you're relying on the pill as a method of contraception and you're taking antibiotics, the effectiveness is reduced - it doesn't matter how, it just matters that you need extra protection. Use condoms - full stop.
  • Options
    Hi, i found this link usefull

[URL=http://]www.aafp.org/afp/991101ap/2073.html[/URL]

If you scroll down to table nine and read the bit about drug interactions, it also tells you which drugs effect the pill

:)