Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When' the best time to buy one?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a student and i'm hopeing to buy a laptop sometime. BUt when should i get one?

For example, the best time to buy fish is on a tuesday, bc that's the day it comes in from the docks.

So......they always say the sale's are on at xmas, but everyone knows that's the time when they jack up prices for everything.

So for laptops...maybe after xmas?

Also, anyone recommend a company? Multivision looks good for £800 of gear.

Thanx:D

Comments

• Options
    I would say new year sales myself.

Is it essential you get a laptop though? A desktop would be cheaper and you would get a faster machine with more disk space, etc.. for less money. Cost you even less if you buy the bits yourself and build it (or ask some nice person to do it for you :) )
  • Options
    Laptops won't really go down much in price even in the sales. I'd suggest do what Ninja said and buy a desktop PC.

Try:

www.ebuyer.co.uk
    www.micromart.co.uk - You might be able to buy a second user one there.

http://www.europc.co.uk/europc/Home.aspx - Very good, ceap prices.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I would say new year sales myself.

Is it essential you get a laptop though? A desktop would be cheaper and you would get a faster machine with more disk space, etc.. for less money.

Yeah i was thinking about a desktop. Bc yuo can now get one of those cube things and a flat screen.

But i want to be alble to take mine into the library to get online. Silly rooms have no internet connection. Othwise i would have gone for the comp.

Thanks for the advice though.
  • Options
    Yeah probably in "a sale" but the truth is there is no best time to buy a new pc.
  • Options
    I have a laptop as a student because it is so much easier to transport it home when I go home for the weekend etc. I guess sale time is best to buy one, but you'll just have to keep looking until you find a deal you're happy with, whenever that may be. Mine was from dabs, excellent site.

I'm surprised they let you access the internet on your own machines, our Uni won't let us do that because of the risk of viruses. We simply have to use their computers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joey Potter
    I have a laptop as a student because it is so much easier to transport it home when I go home for the weekend etc.

I'm surprised they let you access the internet on your own machines, our Uni won't let us do that because of the risk of viruses. We simply have to use their computers.

It's not they won't let us, they just don't have a connection or phone line in the room like other unji's have. So i'll have to trek to the library with my machine to connect.

Arrghh...you guys are making me consider a comp now. I guess i could get one of those cube machines...seen one? I'd be able to carry that home etc...and it's not so big as a tower.

But the only real reason i want a laptop is to play games with my friend and download stuff. I haven't used kazza in a few years, so i've only got 4 albums in my music collection.
  • Options
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    It's not they won't let us, they just don't have a connection or phone line in the room like other unji's have. So i'll have to trek to the library with my machine to connect.

Arrghh...you guys are making me consider a comp now. I guess i could get one of those cube machines...seen one? I'd be able to carry that home etc...and it's not so big as a tower.

But the only real reason i want a laptop is to play games with my friend and download stuff. I haven't used kazza in a few years, so i've only got 4 albums in my music collection.

laptops are lame with games. i mean, its technically possible to get a good one, with lots of bits, but it would cost you tonnes.

point a) most laptops have a pad thingy instead of a mouse. While you could have a seperate mouse - it's gonna be awkward carrying it around with you. the pad is just... impossible for use on games. (well depends what game but...)

point b) the screen, while good quality, isn't going to be as good and 'smooth' as a good quality crt.

point c) cost - laptops are more expensive so for the same thing it will cost you more which leads me nicely onto point d >>

point d) power - laptops arent as powerful as pcs. for the same money (and being a student id say you're not loaded?) you wont get as much.

benefits of laptops of course, is being able to turn them on anywhere just about. and if you have to trek to the library, i can see the practical problem of taking a pc with you. hmmm. it's a trade off really... have you tried talking to anyone in the university about internet access in your room? do you have a phone line?

hmm anyway up to you like i said... I'd go for PC... but I have internet access here at home (perhaps with a drill needed to get a broadband cable into my room :p)
  • Options
    As everybody else has said, in the January (though they start as early as Boxing day really) sales. Or wait a month, until the end of January/beginning of February as prices drop almost every month. Keep a very sharp eye on prices and buy just after they drop. We've all bought computer equipment in the past, then seen it drop in price only a few days later, so keep an eye on prices.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Or wait a month, until the end of January/beginning of February as prices drop almost every month. Keep a very sharp eye on prices and buy just after they drop.

Thanx for the info.

As for the gaming stuff...i'm not a daily game freak. I'm talking about the odd UT2003 or Halo game with my friend from another uni about once per semester.

Anyway, i'm used to playing UT on my Gateway 333 with whole pixels for bodies...so any computer today is god.

And for the internet connection, no one's got it. Until 2004 when they install it, but that'll be too late for me.

Cool anyway...:D
  • Options
    do you need a brand new laptop or will 2nd hand do?

A Pentium 3 500 MHz laptop wil do 99% of the stuff you need.

That's what mine is and it runs windows 2000, Office, and plays DivX movies perfectly.

And is pretty quiet - new laptop are much faster then they need to be to do what most people really need them for.

There's loads of people that sell 2nd hand laptops at good prices. Although some people have more money then sense - one guy I know who is a plumber just spent £1,000 on a laptop to type up invoices in his van!!