Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friend's eating problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, just wanting a bit of advice. I'm in my first year of uni, and one of my new friends has just confided in me that she suffers from bulemia (she's dropped hints about it on and off, but she's only just actually said it). She's doing all the sensible things, like going to the doctors/talking to her personal tutor/looking at counselling etc, but I just want to know the best way for me to help her. I had a really good chat with her, and I think it was a relief for her just to talk about it, but I want to help her as much as possible. I know people on here suffer from eating problems, or have experience of dealing with them, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Tates x

Comments

• Options
    To be honnest there not alot you can do, she's getting it sorted by going to the docters and now your job is to just be there when she needs it. And also if you can keep an eye on her after meals and stuff.
  • Options
    all you can do is be her friend and be positive. if shes going about the practical things like seeing the doc then all you can do is be her friend and lend an ear to bend and a shoulder to cry on.
    i had a friend who was bulimic all of last year and it started to really stress me out cos i always trying to do something to help or say something and it ended up that i was getting upset cos i could do anything to help her which in turn made her feel bad and made things worse. my friend is on her way to getting better but i always ask how shes doing and if shes done it this week, she finds it helps to be accountable to someone. just be very sensitive about weight and food issues, we all complain sometimes that we've eaten too much or we want to lose weight and sometimes we dont realise that other people are really suffering, just be her friend.
  • Options
    All that I would add ot that is something one of my friends did for me. Set some guidelines, so for example if you get into a sitch where you know she's making herself ill, would she like you to intervene or discuss it later or not mention it. That kinda thing.

Take care of yourself above all in this.

PM me if you need.
    Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    Ask her once in a while how it proceeds, if it's getting better.

The worst would be her to tell you, and that you'd then in fear of hurting her would seem as if you were ignoring it.
  • Options
    The others are right - being supportive and listening to her when she needs you is the most important role you can play. We have a feature here that may be useful to you - it also has some helplines that you could call to get more advice at the bottom.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I'll be able to do what you've advised, and just be there for her. Thanks again, Tates x