Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

can anyone help me with some information please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cousin went for a second scan two days ago and I spoke to her about it today; she is four and a half months pregnant with a little girl (90% sure its a girl anyway!).

the scan revealed that the baby has developed with a hole next to her bellybutton, where her bowel is actually growing outside of her body. They're hoping she's going to be ok, but she'll have to have emergency surgery as soon as she is born, and will have to be delivered in Birmingham and transfered to the Birmingham Children's hospital as opposed to evesham; where she would have been born.

My cousin is obviously very frightened, this being her first child and her being only 18 its very daunting, and she's scared enough as it is becoming a mother, let alone with all the other issues she has going on with it all. She's obviously spoken to the consultant who has tried to reassure her that everything is going to be ok.

now I only just found this out about an hour ago when we were speaking on the phone, but i remember watching a program on the health channel about this just the other week, and about how rare it is, and they had this baby on there who was almost certainly going to die. It was awful, he had a bag of intestines outside of his body and he was only about 10 inches long, it was very upsetting.

Now I know every case is different, but i also know that this is quite rare, and i cant remember what they called it so i cant research into the sort of stuff they'll be able to do to help the baby, and the chances that she'll be ok and what not.

Does anybody know what this is called, and have any information/experiences? or at least a name of the condition so i can go on to netdoctor or something?

Thank you x

Comments

• Options
    I had a look and although I can't guarentee it's any of these 100%, I think you might be referring to gastroschisis or omphalocele. Do either of these sound familiar?

Hope everything goes as well as it can with your cousin's pregnancy x
  • Options
    thanks ever so much :) im not sure, but i will type them both and see what it comes up with. thanks again, i appreciate it
  • Options
    No problemo, although when I was searching some of the websites they had quite graphic pictures of the babies with their abnormalities prior to the surgery, just saying it because I may have given you the wrong info, and I don't want you or your cousin getting additionally upset or disturbed by it.
  • Options
    oh no, im not planning on showing her anything, im sure the consultant has spoken to her about all she needs to know, and if she needs any more information then she'll search for it herself., this is more for my peace of mind, my cousin, her pregnancy and this baby is extremely important to me for various reasons, and i need peace of mind :)
    i've had a read,what she's told me is exactly what i've found on gastroschisis rather than the other one. and how they are going to deal with it is the same as explained on this website im looking at now.
    thank you ever so much for your help
  • Options
    also, whilst we're on the subject, this is assuming she manages a vaginal birth, as if she has a c-section she'll be in hospital herself anyway... but;

will they offer her some sort of a room at Great ormond street? she lives in evesham and isnt going to want to leave the baby is she? and if the baby's in their for quite a while, which we've been told she will be, she'll need a place to stay. when our friend had his accident, they gave his wife and kids their own room. with beds and a shower/bathroom, and even a little kitchen area within the hospital, right next to the intensive care ward our friend was on. will it be the same thing do you think? or will she have to find her own place to stay? didnt know if anyone had been in the position before you see, its worth asking isnt it.
  • Options
    oh its ok, i've been on the GOSH and have seen that they actually have places for you to stay within the hospital
  • Options
    I watched a baby programme on this a few weeks back, it looked awful, but they managed to get the baby's bowel back inside her body and she was fine and made a full recovery and ate well and even went home a week or so later! its amazing what they can do now.
  • Options
    I have only just come across this, i'm sure they will make sure all is well.
    After all, most of the time now docs are straight with you from the start if they are worried.

Let us know how it goes though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Let us know how it goes though.

I will, thanks x