Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pushy parents or cheap beer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are you going to uni for the right reasons?

Any of this ring true?

Susie :)

Comments

• Options
    Should this not be in the student forum? :p

You'd think the mods would know better.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    Should this not be in the student forum? :p

You'd think the mods would know better.....

heheheh :) that made me giggle. When I go to University, I want to go because I want some independance but the main reason is to learn more and really become 'skilled' at whatever I choose to do (I'm still in GCSEs though so it's a way away). But, I think I will try to go to a University not too near home, I want to be in student housing etc (maybe not the greatest but still!) I just want a bit of independance from my parents. Like if you go out one night and get plastered (not saying I would) it's better if you have your own flat / apartment / whatever to go to rather than wander in with your parents in their night gowns waiting up for you, and an explanation.

Sigh @ parents!
  • Options
    I'm at uni mainly because I really enjoy my subject, modern languages, and I'd known I wanted to study it since I was in year 9 or 10. Also because I want to earn lots of money :D and going to uni, or at least to a good uni, does tend to help with that.

The social side of it is also great, and the independence - I really didn't know how to look after myself before I came here and even just 1 term in, I feel so much more grown up! So yes, the general experience is fantastically fun but I'm basically here for academic and financial reasons.
  • Options
    Well, none of the wrong reasons apply to me, and three of the right ones do so I'm suppose i am here for the right reasons!

Tho i do like the cheap beer...
  • Options
    id like to take this oppurtunity to say, susie

wrong forum :p
  • Options
    Mostly good reasons. I think you stay at uni for the bad reasons - certainly I wasn't aware of quite how nice the life is until I got here.

I went because it never occured to me that I'd do anything differently. The joy of a safely upper-middle class life.

I also never understood the Swiss system.
  • Options
    MMMM this topic hits really close to home as the saying goes, i applied to uni, and around january decided not to, didn't withdraw my place and kept my options open, looked for a job i liked doing and found it infact.
    The problem came when i told my mum that i didnt want to go to university about june ish time at which point she realised that the maintance money from my dad would stop rolling in and we were broke as hell, she also told me how dissapointed she was with me.

The emotional blackmail was massive and things became very awkward between us for nearly 2 months. I knew it was my choice though and that i wudn't be presuaded by her for the worng reasons. She blaimed me for the messed up financial situation, that everything was my fault, that i should go to uni so it would be ok. She never could handle difficult situations very well and this the last straw i suppose was when I told her i would be moving out A.S.A.P hopefully within 6 months.

It was so hard not to just make everything ok and bugger off to uni just because she said so.

In the end I did go to university, but for reasons I chose, and i made them in my own time and characteristically that was not untill a day after my a-levels came out.

I am enjoying uni, but at times I feel so sad at what i gave up to come here, something is missing and I still wonder wether I am only here because of the presure.
    I think it is made worse because i really did have the next 2 years all planned out in my head, i was offered a job doing somethiing i loved, i was going to learn to drive, buy myself a new drum kit.

Now well, things have changed, i can't afford to do driving lessons, i cant get a drumkit as it wont fit anywhere in my room and i dont have my dream job. But at least this is unlikly to be a few years wasted from my life, it's difficult to make the best of things, but you must try and i can always postpone my plans a few years.....

Bopz :banghead:
  • Options
    that was...nice of your mum :eek2:

surely though, if you had a job, you'd be able to help her out a bit?

i'll admit, I'm going to uni for the student life :D

and yes, i know it's certainly far from all being fun
  • Options
    The post makes her sound more evil than she is....... but she still wanted me to do it for the wrong reasons.

Bopz
  • Options
    but still, you didn't answer my question:

surely though, if you had a job, you'd be able to help her out a bit?
  • Options
    Im going to uni cos its the only way i can become what i wana come, which is a nurse. I will be in uni basically 9am to 5pm, monday to friday, so i cant exactly say im going for the student lifestyle...Instead of the normal 32 or 35 weeks that a uni course runs for, mine is 42 weeks long...with 21 weeks theory and 21 weeks on placement in various settings where you'd find nurses. It's what i wana do, so i will put up with these "hardships" :p and just get on with it, and hopefully come out a qualified nurse the other end...
  • Options
    if you had a job, you'd be able to help her out a bit?

My dads, maintance (sp) fees were large. £700 a month and also I would have moved out a.s.a.p

Bopz
  • Options
    yes but...the maintanance money was intended for your up keep, not your mum's.

and my question hasn't really been answered :banghead:
  • Options
    Then I don't know how to anwser your question, the money went into paying bills etc, not to me and I wasnt going to pay £700 a month rent.

Bopz