Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Driving test...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I booked my driving test on friday - the next available date is march 4th :eek2: :impissed:

Here's hoping I can get a cancellation :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    That's taking the piss just a little bit:eek:

The average time at my local test centre is 6 weeks. My first test I had to wait 6 weeks which was all right but for the second I had to wait 8 weeks instead.

Lets hope my 3rd doesn't take too long.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    hopefully, 'cause of all the time I've got left for lessons, I'll pass first time :yes:

don't lose all hope, my friend didn't pass till her 5th driving test :p
  • Options
    Hey, I was in exactly the same situation....i booked my test in early october and was told the earliest they had was beginning of march which needless to say i found rediculous! Anyway I just thought i'd say that persistance pays off, call the DSA as much as you can, i'd been calling twice a day ever since to get a cancellation...one time i got offered one and by the time she'd taken my details someone else had it so they go pretty quick but today i finally got one for 2 weeks time so they do come along, just keep trying! Good luck!
  • Options
    I won't start calling them yet, 'cause I could do with a couple more lessons :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ......hmm......
    ive had 13 lessons
    and i think im as 'good' as someone on their 3rd.
  • Options
    I've had 18 lessons so far, and will certainly need more practice! About 40 probably, if not more!Although i'm not a practical person .... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    .... hmmm i started driving when i was 17, im 20 at the end of the year, and still not passed. i can driver fine, i just crack under pressure. ive taken about8 or 9 teast, but failed on syupid things. But not been driving since May doc said notto, so going to start next year, and have changed drivin instu, so should pass 1st time with him.....
  • Options
    Hermione were you pissed or just typing with very big gloves on?

The DSA are crap, when I booked my driving test I had a choice of either 2 weeks time or 3 months time. So I went for the earlier one. When I told my driving instructor he panicked and made me pack in about 10 lessons into that 2 week period.

I did pass, though, but I suspect that was partly due to having a nice examiner and partly because it was the end of the day and if he passed me he could just go home whereas if he failed me he'd have to go write up a report about it. That's a good tip actually - try and get the last test of the day if you can.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    That's a good tip actually - try and get the last test of the day if you can.

Absolute nonsense they can't be biased otherwise they aren't doing their job properly.

• Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Absolute nonsense they can't be biased otherwise they aren't doing their job properly.

Welcome to the world of humans.
  • Options
    I passed my theory test and never bothered to takr the practical.

That was about three years ago, nearly four, so my theory test was a waste of my time because it has expired.

Bastards.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Absolute nonsense they can't be biased otherwise they aren't doing their job properly. [/B]

What isn't nonsense is that they have a maximum number of people they can pass per year. That means that the decision on whether you pass or not is not completey down to how safe you are on the road.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    thats not true at all about a quota, if they think your a safe driver they will pass you
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaylouise2508
    thats not true at all about a quota, if they think your a safe driver they will pass you

I said that badly. I didn't meen the instructers have quota's.

My instructor told me that passing the test will continue to get more difficult (i.e the test will become harder) as more and more people pass each year. The government has a target each year for the number passes it wants and will adjust the difficulty of the test to meet these targets.

...so I heard anyway! ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yea the test's will continue to get harder & in my year of learning they have brought in the hazard perception in the theory test & have changed the pass mark of this part of the test about 3 times since I took my theory.

Also, the practical test has gained the new 'show me, tell me' questions at the start of the practical test to check to see if you know about very basic vehicle maintenance like where you put the screen washer.

It's just the governments feeble attempt to discourage people from learning how to drive because of the sheer amount of cars on the roads today. As for insurance for young drivers aswell that is just a joke.

• Options
    I think i've had 9 lessons, can't remember :p. My instructor keeps trying to get me to take my theory test, cos she says i'm nearly ready for my test. I'll have to see how long the waiting list is, cos if it's that long i better book it now!
  • Options
    Well I'm all in favour of a higher standard of testing. Good.
  • Options
    Ive had 2 on road lessons and 3 in the BSM simulator, amd my intructer said im already a really good driver. he says im as good as some of his students that have had like 18 lessons.
    Although today i made a really big boob at a T juction, and the police were driving past and stuff, they just laughed at me tho....:lol:
  • Options
    once, i was doing a turn in the road and this lady who was trying to drive down the road let me carry on.

i did so, and as i drove away, i lifted my hand to say thankyou but i left my hand up for too long and lost control of the car. the lady's face was like :eek: :crazyeyes ...as was mine :nervous:
  • Options
    I could never be a driving instructor. My mum holds on to the door and seat when i go out with her, dunno why though cos i'm fine usually!
    And my driving instructor asked me if i was having a blond day on my last lesson, cos i tried to pull away when i wasn't in gear, i then managed to pull away in 3rd somehow, then i mounted the kerb (first and last time).
    I'm usually a good learner driver, i obv wasn't that day though :p
  • Options
    Hmm. My instructor told me not to thank anyone as if you stop and thank people during the test they can fail you for not keeping proper control. Or something.
  • Options
    ..I HATE MY DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
    1) he compared me to my worst enemy
    2) he said i may not be ready for august.....THATS AGES AWAY
    3) he never tells me what way to turn until I'm practiclaly on it
    *kick*
    *his*
    *face*
    *in*
  • Options
    Originally posted by captain kirk
    I passed my theory test and never bothered to takr the practical.

That was about three years ago, nearly four, so my theory test was a waste of my time because it has expired.

Bastards.
    ditto :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    *kick*
    *his*
    *face*
    *in*

get a new instructor?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    *kick*
    *his*
    *face*
    *in*

Well it's down to you to rub his face in it when you pass with flying colours.

• Options
    Well it's down to you to rub his face in it when you pass with flying colours.

..but then hell say its all down to HIM