Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

holding pens.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm watching some crap tv program about designing a new pen, and the design that the guy's proposing wouldn't possibly work for me cause i 'hold my pen wrong'.

i used to have to have a special finger guide on my pencil when i was in primary school, cause they didn't think that i would possibly make it in life holding my pencil the way i did :rolleyes:

what's the deal with that? i can still write.

anyone else hold their pen funny, and feel the oppressive force of the education system's disapproval?

Comments

• Options
    I apparently hold mine far too tightly and also press on much too hard. I do sometimes get blisters on my hand if my nails are too long, particularly in exams or when I'm writing a lot.
  • Options
    My mum's always said that I hold my pen weird, I don't think I do though :p
  • Options
    I was writing with a pen last night, and I got a horrible blister on my finger.

Should get them pens with the rubber cushion thingys.
  • Options
    I hold my pen "wrong". And I am left handed. Someone PLEASE explain why being left handed used to be taboo.
  • Options
    :) I'm left handed too. I don't know why it was taboo, I'm just glad it's not now. We're supposed to be more creative (which I go against, but still...).
  • Options
    I'm left-handed too!

Erm... never really thought about how i held my pen. My writing's crap anyway. Typing is the way forward!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I hold my pen "wrong". And I am left handed. Someone PLEASE explain why being left handed used to be taboo.

Sign of the devil or some such.

You freak you. :D
  • Options
    I must have something on the brain tonight. I thought that the title of the thread was holding penis.

My sister got told off a lot at school for holding her pen funny. She's left handed too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    I must have something on the brain tonight. I thought that the title of the thread was holding penis.

i hold my penises funny too.

but they didn't give me anything for that at primary school.
  • Options
    I too am left handed and I used to have a guidance teacher who was left handed. She used to curve her hand to write. It looked sore and weird
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i hold my penises funny too.

but they didn't give me anything for that at primary school.

:lol::lol: :eek2:
  • Options
    Hmmm, now gripping those too tightly could be a slight problem and could cause some pain.
  • Options
    i think i hold my pen alright, but i eat with the knife and fork in the wrong hands
  • Options
    I'm left handed and I've been told I hold my pen weirdly but not in the curled round way that most lefters do.

Also when I play spit I deal my cards from the other side than others do.
  • Options
    It's because in the days of fountain pens and real ink, if you wrote left-handed you would smudge your writing with the side of your hand. There might have been some association with evil as well, i'm not sure.
  • Options
    I hold my pen strangely, i also write the wrong way up apparently. Going from bottom to top or something....which ever way is wrong
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i think i hold my pen alright, but i eat with the knife and fork in the wrong hands

Ditto.

Though actually, I think I do hold my pen a bit weird. And I always always always press too hard. Exams are a bitch :(
  • Options
    i hold my pen correctly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joey Potter
    I apparently hold mine far too tightly and also press on much too hard. I do sometimes get blisters on my hand if my nails are too long, particularly in exams or when I'm writing a lot.

I do that, get blisters alot. i also hold it funny and i am left handed...

This thread reminds me of the film "idle hands" :)
  • Options
    I used to hold my writing implements correctly until around 6 years ago I broke my hand and had to have an op to have the bones fused together. Since then I can't write for long periods of time without major cramp and pain. Oh and I now hold the pen "incorrectly".

As for left handedness. Not so much evil just a real pain in the arse for companies to make left-handed pens, screwdrivers, keys, cutlery, etc..... :p :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

As for left handedness. Not so much evil just a real pain in the arse for companies to make left-handed pens, screwdrivers, keys, cutlery, etc..... :p :rolleyes:

I've never needed any of the crap... oddly, writing is the only thing i do left-handed... everything else (e.g. cutlery) i do in the right-handed way. And my right hand/arm is my strongest. Weird.
  • Options
    I'm very right-handed in everything I do. Except when I eat. The fork is in my right hand when I'm led to believe the correct way is the knive in your right hand. :confused:
  • Options
    i'm right handed, and hold my pen weirdly :-\
  • Options
    i dont know how i hold my pen, but i do know i hold it to hard as i get blisters sometimes and i press down on the paper to hard.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one :blush:
  • Options
    Left-handedness as a sign of evil comes from the Latin word for it 'sinister' (Ambi-dextruous actually means something along the lines of 'both right')
    It was viewed in "the olden days" as an indication of evil because it was unusual - society was, and still is, mainly right-handed, and people unfortunately have a tendency to distrust and dislike the unusual.
    Although of course not many people wrote in those days, and it's more noticeable that you're left-handed if you're say ploughing a field, than sitting at a desk.
    Re. pen holding, I get writing callouses, but probably due to the fact that I write quite a lot rather than the way I hold a pen. I'm nearly ambi-dex. because of playing violin/piano.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Because "the devil sits on your left shoulder". The theory was that the devil controlled your left hand, therefore it's evil and left-handers were lead by satanic instincts.

But all the best people are lefties. Go us!
  • Options
    yea i'm left handed and my hand goes down at a weird angle wen writin, i think i do it to stop my hand getting ink marks as we write goin along with the ink, not the opposite direction
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    yea i'm left handed and my hand goes down at a weird angle wen writin, i think i do it to stop my hand getting ink marks as we write goin along with the ink, not the opposite direction
    Yes, I do the same and it stops me smudging my ink pen. Looks weird to "conventional" righties tho!
  • Options
    there's a lot of lefties here.

considering only 1 in 10 people are leftie.

maybe left-handed people are more interested in threads about holding pens ;)