Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

roomates and food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you're living with somebody, how do you deal with the food issue? Do you have a what I bought is mine and keep your dirty hands off it thing or is it more along the lines of whoever decides to go grocery shopping will get the food that time and all will eat. Does it depend on the relationship you have with the person your living with (and no, the little boyfriend, girlfriend togetherness thing do not count here)

My brother lives with a few other guys from his football team, and they each buy their own food and eat what they buy. I live with my best friend, and its the exact opposite. All food is anybody's food. I find though that this can suck at times. Say you wake up one morning hopeing for a bagle and some coffee only to find that she ate the last of both before she left for work :mad:

Comments

• Options
    At Uni there was 5 of us sharing a flat - all bought our own food and one guy's mum used to make him prepared meals which theother guys would swap the lids on so he never knew what was really in them!!

But I suggested because of the limited room in the fridge we share certain items like Margarine and bread rather then buy 5 tubs of marg and 5 loafs and take up all that space.
  • Options
    i buy and eat my own food, using up all the freezer space, such delicasies as chocolate and crisps will stay in my room behind locked doors :D
  • Options
    In halls, there's not that much food, but a lot of alcohol. Most of the food we get are just the basics - bread, butter, milk, etc, which we're happy to share.

However, I'm incredibly posessive about my Vegemite (being Aussie and all), and beer stays well and truly behind locked doors. We once left 16 stellas in the kitchen and the next morning, the stoners and their mates had nicked them ALL.
  • Options
    Im with 10 other we all buy our own food, but milk tends to get nicked alot. If we want something of someone elses we ask or replace it.
  • Options
    This is precisely the reason why I'm getting my own house next year (along with a few other reasons).
  • Options
    well last year i lived in halls so we didnt have that much food of our own anyway. we did have a kitty though and each week we'd put a quid in and use it to buy milk, butter & bread.

this year im in a house with 9other girls n 1bloke(no he's not gay) and we all have our own cupboard spaces. there are 3fridges so we buy our own milk,butter n bread this year. and we don't nick each others coz we're good girlies :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    This is precisely the reason why I'm getting my own house next year (along with a few other reasons).

You're getting your own house because you cant share food:|
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    You're getting your own house because you cant share food:|

Nah, but I'd have control over what I eat, what I spend, etc. and also the washing!

Plus loads of other things that after 11 years of communal living I need to address...
  • Options
    My housemates were so annoying with that. Me & the girl I lived with shared stuff and payed halves, but then the boys would come along, eat it all and never pay any money. It caused sooo many house arguements!
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    In my first year my flat just bought food but in me house in the second and third year we did/do communal shopping trips, oh the fun. there's only three of us and the bill comes to around 120 quid for a couple of weeks worth of food :eek:

hasn't caused any major arguments yet, although many a table football game has decided on the last cookie/packet of walkers/bacon/pie/etc....