Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police Powers.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I saw my cousin yesterday who is 15 and he told me of when the police came over to him and his friends and took their names, addresses and took their photos. I daint know if they were allowed to do that and he said that when some of his mates turned and faced the other way he didnt ask them to face the camera. This got me thinking why didnt he ask, unless he wasnt permitted to do it. I dunno, there doesnt seem to be much that the police cant do lately but can someone just educate me? Thanks.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    i didnt know they were allowed to take photos? :eek2:
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the circumstances but this sort of thing happens at football and demos all the time. Read the link, it might not have been a Sec 60 but it sounds like it.

Bear in mind that if you do wish to take advantage of your 'rights' the police can make things more difficult for you.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2001/07/7545.html
  • Options
    i think they can do it under the anit social behavour act thats just been brought in or something.
    They can even take you home if your under 17. i saw them do it to these girls the other night. they were being really mean as it goes, they were just walkign along when one of them slipped on the wet leaves. the police were driving buy, saw her slip and proceeded to run out the van, grab them as if they had just commited a big crime, and shoved them in the back of the van. yea they had been drinking but they were of age so what the problem?
    stupid police.

ooooh! that reminds me! i was at the airport today and i saw like 6 police officers with big fat guns! was scary! still went up to talk to one of them tho. cos i always fort that police in this country wernt aloud to carry them.
  • Options
    Aye the piggy-wigs can do pretty much what they want. Oops did I say 'piggy-wig'? I'm not supposed to according to me mam :p

Some pigs are Ok though.
  • Options
    oink!
  • Options
    Maybe the police arent perfect but they do do alot of good things too you know!
  • Options
    Yup, like arrest the naughty naughty people for smoking cannabis and checking cars whilst women are being raped, people's houses are being burgled and there are people kicking the crap outta each other on the street.

Charming I'm sure. If they ever helped me maybe I'd like them more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Yup, like arrest the naughty naughty people for smoking cannabis and checking cars whilst women are being raped, people's houses are being burgled and there are people kicking the crap outta each other on the street.

How do you think people end up in prison?!!! Take themselves.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ey my daddy is a police man not a pig :mad:
  • Options
    tbh, why are police out harassing my 15 year old cousin who has yet to smoke a cigarette when they can be out helping me gettin the shit kicked outa me, stopping murders or whateva. Police have a job to do and the majority of them have confused this job with being hercules. They all walk about with their digital cameras and maglite torches but at the end of the day, pigs give each other a bad name. And how the hell is anyone meant to know if theyre allowed to take photos or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    How do you think people end up in prison?!!! Take themselves.:rolleyes:
    banned.gif
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    ooooh! that reminds me! i was at the airport today and i saw like 6 police officers with big fat guns! was scary! still went up to talk to one of them tho. cos i always fort that police in this country wernt aloud to carry them.

air port police are allowed to carry gun (some are anyway) they genrally carry the Hk mp5 aswell as a side arm aswell normally a browning maybe a baretta:)
  • Options
    if you wanna get technical those mp5's are loaded with 9mm JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) ammunition which spread out on impact and stop you in your tracks straight away. you really don't want to be shot in the head by one!
  • Options
    ahhh some one who knows his guns...

Well i must admit you impressed me with that.

Dont they use FMJ aswell? im unsure i know they still use JSP but im unsure:)
  • Options
    Bla Blaaa! bla bla bla blaaaa! bla blA!
  • Options
    Originally posted by sprocket
    if you wanna get technical those mp5's are loaded with 9mm JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) ammunition which spread out on impact and stop you in your tracks straight away. you really don't want to be shot in the head by one!

Why don't they have one gun with like plastic or rubber bullets and another with real bullets. I think just being shot with a rubber bullet would stop most people and help avoid people being killed. I remember that man the police killed who was simply carrying a table leg home in a plastic bag and the police shot him. The fact it wasn't in his hand but in a bag reall got to me, even if it was a gun it's not like he could have shot them with thit whilst holding the bag.

I took me a month for the sore to got from my legs after being shot in paintballing so I'm sure less deadly bullets would be more then effective. And if they deem it necassary they still have the regular bullets to use.

Strangely enough though they copared the USA with Canada that also has a lot of guns around but whilst the USA has over 11,000 people killed per year by guns, Canada has just a handful.

Has anyone seen "Bowling for Columbine"? If you havent you all should - show's how crazy the gun laws are in the USA. In the film Michael Moore even got a free gun when he opened up an account with a bank.
  • Options
    the police will sometimes use something called a baton round which if fire from a shotgun this is a platic/rubber round that will bruse/hurt the victim and shouldnt kill them. im unsure if they use it in action but for training purposes they do.
  • Options
    Rude Bwoy, they use em in America a lot to imobilize teh victim. Back to subject... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    police man not a pig :mad:

That's what I was thinking. :)

Of course, upholding laws that have been passed by someone other than themselves makes them evil and owt, doesn't it. :/
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Maybe the police arent perfect but they do do alot of good things too you know!

Is Marmite still old bill ...he was a hobby bobby wasn't he?
    Originally posted by Moonrat

:rolleyes:

They do a bloody good job. OK, You might not agree with some laws but the police don't make them, they only enforce enforce them - and if they didn't do their job properly you'd be a lot worse off.

I've had a few run ins with the cozzers before, and I'm a drug user with a record but in general I have a respect for them. I've been arrested several times but only once have I ever been properly stitched up and that was by some lying plain clothes arseholes :mad:

The only coppers you have to watch out for are those on some power trip and it's also definately worth knowing you rights about being searched and in interviews.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Is Marmite still old bill ...he was a hobby bobby wasn't he?

Nope not at the moment, he was in the specials back then but hasn't gone back since moving to Bristol.
    He does plan on joining properly tho sometime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    The only coppers you have to watch out for are those on some power trip

Yeah i agree with that, although there are many that aren't like this. Just like every other profession.

Everyone slags people off like that, a doctor for instance. Everyone grills a doctor if someone dies, yet they fail to mention the thousands that the doctor has saved.

Maybe people should wake up & feel the real world.

Btw i think this should be in debate :D.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

So, you object to them enforcing laws then? Strange position, bearing in mind that is what they are employed to do...

If you have a problem about what laws are on the statutes, speak to your MP, don't castigate the police.