Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lickle problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so sometimes I am looking at The Site or even other places and as the page loads what has started happening is the page kinda scrolls down itself. So i drag it back up and it goes back down again. Did that make sense ? Do you know what i mean ? well if you didnt the page basically has a mind of its own and does what it wants to do, not what i want it to do.

So anyways tonight i have used Norton Utilities to do a scan to check for problems and it found 27 :eek2: So i got it to repair them.

I did my critical updates and it found one so did that.

I updated my anti virus then did a full system scan to see if I had a virus and I havent.

So me good buddies, what the feck is wrong :(

Comments

• Options
    Becky,

You may know this already, but have you checked for spyware? "spyware" is a cross between a normal program and a virus. It comes with seemingly harmless programs such as Kazaa. The payload is that it keeps tabs of your browsing history so that advertisers can target specific adverts to you. If you have pop-up windows mysteriously appearing around your browser, that can often be the responsibility of spyware.

Anyway, the antidote to spyware is Ad-aware - freely downloadable. Likewise with antivirus software, make sure that the definitions are up-to-date.
  • Options
    Yeah i know about it, but tbh I didnt run that tonight. Thanks for reminding me :D

The only thing that helps when it decides to play up is press the home key and it may sort it or else i have to leave the page i was viewing and go back. and its a pain in the bum :mad:
  • Options
    I didn't want to dumb you or anyone else down as regards to spyware. I'm not sure to what extent people are aware about it. I work in tech support over the telephone providing help for disabled people. Spyware accounts for about a third of my incoming calls. Although the intended purpose of spyware is to track your Internet behaviour, it often leads to computer crashes, especially when there are several spyware programs present on the computer.

Becky, if you click on "start" > "run" .. > then type in "msconfig" at the run prompt, it opens a program called the System Configuration Utility. Next up, click on the very last page entitled "start up'. This shows a list of all of the programs that runs with Windows.

The classic spyware combo in the Msconfig start-up is the following:

- Gator
    - Cmesys
    - Date Manager
    - Precision Time
    - loadqm

These five items will often appear together. Lose them quickly!
  • Options
    Re-Install Internet Explorer

(or whatever brower you use)

Should fix the problem, it worked for me once :)
  • Options
    Could also be a problem with your mouse driver. Maybe re-install/update drivers for that also.
  • Options
    oh I just did what Monserrat said and its got load qm in. So im off to do and do a scan with spybot search and destroy.

• Options
    loadqm spyware? Bit of a touchy subject that. If thats the only one Becky has got then it isn't really spyware thats the problem is it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    loadqm spyware? Bit of a touchy subject that. If thats the only one Becky has got then it isn't really spyware thats the problem is it?

whats loadqm ? is that sommat dodgy ?
    Also when I took it of my start up thing it appeared as loadQM so it is the same thing even though its capitals ?
    After I did that start up thing I then went on to do a search and destroy thing and it found about 20 things so I just clicked fix problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    whats loadqm ? is that sommat dodgy ?

No. It's used as part of the windows update background service thing.

You may or may not actually need it.
  • Options
    mist just beat me to it. Its rumoured to do stuff that frankly it probably doesn't. Either way its not malicous and most peoples computers have it on.
  • Options
    Thank you very muchly :D

while i was on doing little bits i also did a de frag and tonight touch wood had no probs :D