Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blind Date! ...And no f***ing Cilla Black in sight! :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yay! I'm being set up for a blind date. It's been donkeys years since I've been on one of them. It's the best friend of a workmate. Now, if she's setting me up with her best friend, then that means one of two things. Either she thinks I'm a decent person, and trusts me with one of her closest and best friends. Or her friend is an ugly, desperate, munter! :nervous: :D
I'm being cruel aren't I? But you just don't know on blind dates.

Anyway. What do you reckon would make a good date. My workmate suggested the cinema, but there's not much of a chance of having a good chat and getting to know each other properly while watching a film. I reckon something like ten pin bowling would be better, though she would obviously have to like the idea of that. Either way, whatever we do, I reckon going on to a late night bar, or club, would be a good end to the evening.
So what do you lot reckon?

I'm giving my workmate a call this evening to see what her friend says, and then hopefully go on to set up the date from there.
Wish me luck! And if it all happens, then I'll let you all know how it went sometime in the future.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Comments

• Options
    I think the cinema and then a meal is a good idea (If not a bit too predictable!!). Particularily good for blind date scenarios cause that way you if you have any akward quiet periods through the meal you can at least bring up the movie you just watched and get the convo flowing.

Bowling sounds good as well but not to everyone's taste. Oh and let her win. But not obviously. :D
  • Options
    If she has long nails then she won't want to go bowling.

I find after two games of bowling my fingers are aching, how about minigolf or something like that?

agree that cinema doesn't give you much of a chance to talk.

Are you going to buy her flowers or something when you first meet?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    If she has long nails then she won't want to go bowling.

I find after two games of bowling my fingers are aching, how about minigolf or something like that?

agree that cinema doesn't give you much of a chance to talk.

Are you going to buy her flowers or something when you first meet?
    ROFL Sorry, but buying flowers is just a bit corny. I know it may be a nice thing to do, and that girls appreciate and like flowers, but it's corny. Somehow I don't think I will be.

I don't think there are any mini golf courses around here. Perhaps nearer the coast, towards Bridlington where she lives, but not in Hull as far as I'm aware. Anyway, mini golf, in November! Brrrrrr!

Good point about the bowling being possibly impractical. But doing something gives you something to talk about, and can create more of a bond, especially if it's something exciting.

Cheers for your input.
    Anybody else got any good ideas for a blind date?

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I think the cinema and then a meal is a good idea (If not a bit too predictable!!). Particularily good for blind date scenarios cause that way you if you have any akward quiet periods through the meal you can at least bring up the movie you just watched and get the convo flowing.

Bowling sounds good as well but not to everyone's taste. Oh and let her win. But not obviously. :D
    Cinema, meal, plus DG's idea of flowers - It's all a bit corny, a bit of a cliche, a bit normal, and perhaps a bit..... boring. That's why I'm trying to think of something that may be a bit more memorable. :chin:
    Anyway, meals, flowers, and stuff like that add up, and I'm not made of money, especially at the moment. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Cinema, meal, plus DG's idea of flowers - It's all a bit corny, a bit of a cliche, a bit normal, and perhaps a bit..... boring.

Only if you make it that way. I was out with Miss Bri-namite in the week for a meal, and I paid, pulled out her chair for her, and all that mush.

We both totally laughed about it, and it really did the business. Was a good night out :thumb:

Then again, if it's a blind date then it might not be appropriate.
  • Options
    If you feel like being cultured you could go to an art gallery if there's one nearby thats inexpensive, I was taken to the gallery in MK on date, and if conversation dries up later then the art can be a good topic of conversation. Also, do you have and Wine bars? Somewhere modern, so you can eat and have a drink, then go out to club later. Oh, and if your going to do flowers, 1 red rose, although cheesy and cliched, might be nice, and its still delicate and pretty.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    One of the best first dates I ever had (it wasnt a blind date but I didn't know him too well) was when this lad took me iceskating! It was so fab. It overcame any shyness or embarassment because...well I'm pretty good and he was crap and kept falling :D and we could talk as we skated and stuff.

Afterwards we went for a meal so yeah, that was good. Just an idea!
  • Options
    Well, this is the thing Bri, I know nothing about her really. It's all being arranged by my workmate. She'll know (my workmate) what her friend likes, and will hopefully be able to give hints. I'll call her tonight to see what she suggests.
    It would be nice to avoid the mush, and just go out and have fun with someone. Think of them as a friend sort of thing, rather than romanticly, and see what develops.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by FireyFirenze
    One of the best first dates I ever had (it wasnt a blind date but I didn't know him too well) was when this lad took me iceskating! It was so fab. It overcame any shyness or embarassment because...well I'm pretty good and he was crap and kept falling :D and we could talk as we skated and stuff.
    Brilliant! I've just remembered that Hull has an ice rink too! And it's right next door to one of the cinemas! So that gives more options. :)

You see, your example is exactly why I want to do something more physical than just sitting there watching a film. It gives you a shared experience. Somthing to laugh about, take the mickey out of each other, and have a bit of fun. Better than the embarassing silences. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Brilliant! I've just remembered that Hull has an ice rink too! And it's right next door to one of the cinemas! So that gives more options. :)

You see, your example is exactly why I want to do something more physical than just sitting there watching a film. It gives you a shared experience. Somthing to laugh about, take the mickey out of each other, and have a bit of fun. Better than the embarassing silences. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)

Yep exactly! You can have a laugh at each other and its more memorable than like...ooh yes that film we saw when we just sat there and watched it. hehe. Also if you are getting on well it gives good flirting opportunities :p

Good thing about the cinema too you could always go watch a film afterwards to warm up! perfect hehe. After my iceskating date I went out with the lad for 3 years, so it was a good start :D
  • Options
    How long do you think you'll stretch the date out for?

I don't think you should plan too much on a 1st date. I think sticking with the usual might be your best option on this first blind date. What's the point of planing something new when you haven't meet the girl. If you get to have a 2nd date and think you like her, then go with something new. This is really afterall just an introduction. (You can be exciting on the next date)

I'd go for a meal *nothing too formal* but at least then you get to see her more relaxed, talking properly is the key I would imagine on a blind date. Few bottles of wine will make her talk more and perhaps you'd have more change of clicking with each other. (Not suggesting you both drink so much that you get pissed or anything)
    Just enough to keep the conversation flowing.
  • Options
    Well, I've got a text back from my workmate, who's had a chance to chat with her friend, and apparently she likes the idea of the ten pin bowling.

FireyFirenze, you've just reminded me about the time a load of us from college went ice skating many years ago. There was one girl who'd never been before, and I helped her out, and held on to me to begin with. It was great, and while nothing romantic came out of it, we were always much more chatty and friendly at college after that day. It does help people to get to know each other. :)

Moonshiner. Not sure about the gallery idea. It's not "me", so it wouldn't be right, and there's more of an opportunity for conversation drying up, or being awkward. What am I supposed to do anyway? Look like I know what I'm talking about, pretend to be all high brow and cultured? Don't think it'd work.
    Maybe a gallery visit would work as a later date, but not a first date. Oh, and I just don't do flowers. It's cheesy. Not that cheesy things are bad, but to me they are in this case. Maybe as a surprise on a later date, but not a first date. Again, they're just not "me".

Harmless. Conversation can dry up, and things can get awkward at times while having a meal. There's nothing else to do except eat. At least while doing something else, some sort of activity, there's still plenty of opportunity to chat, drink, and do something during those moments when the conversation dries up.
    The meal thing has proven to be my downfall in the future. I just find them.... awkward. Everything feels awkward.
    Oh, and as for stretching out the date. I'm just thinking of options if we're getting on well. Hence why I'm thinking of what we can do afterwards, if we both feel like it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Good luck.....just please don't be your usual pervy self or you'll frighten the poor love to death :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Good luck.....just please don't be your usual pervy self or you'll frighten the poor love to death :p
    LOL Moi? Pervy? :eek2: Dunno what you mean!
    And why do people say I'm "scary". A girl in a club said I was "a scary man" the other week. I'm not. I'm just keen to be friendly, and keen to dance. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I always thought it would be fun to take a girl to a wedding reception.

This was after we once went to a wedding and ended up at totallty the wrong person's wedding, it was only once we saw the bride and didn't recognise her we realsied we were at the wrong place .. of course that was after we'd eaten the food in the wrong place!! :D

That's the thing with weddings they are so big and if no one recognises you they simply think you're from the other side friend's or family!!
  • Options
    A girl in a club said I was "a scary man" the other week

:lol::lol:

Probably something to do with the excessive eyebrow wiggling you were giving her
  • Options
    Once when I went out on a date, he took me to a big church/University. They go all out to decorate with lights for Xmas, and there was a pond with swans. We walked around looking at the lights and the swans, very romantic. Sometimes a walk in the park, even in winter, is very nice. :thumb:
  • Options
    Hey I just got back from clubbing - it's 3am and no mr Wobble about .. I wonder if he pulled??
  • Options
    he was here, i'm sure he was.
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    he was here, i'm sure he was.

Well then it either went really well or really bad cos I reckon we'd have had an update on the night!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Hey I just got back from clubbing - it's 3am and no mr Wobble about .. I wonder if he pulled??
    lol I wish. :( I was just watching a film (L A Confidential) last night, then came on here for a few mins before crashing out. You know, I'm sure I made a posting on this thread last night, but don't know what happened to it? Must've been just as I went to bed, and there must've been a page error or something.

Nearest I came to sex tonight was getting horny sensations, and thinking about having a wank, then not bothering because I was too tired. Erm, was that too much info? :D

The date looks like it's on for later this week by the looks of it. I've got to give her a call this evening to finalise the day, time, what we're doing, etc.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with her, and it looks like bowling on Thursday. :) Just got to book a couple of games, and confirm it, and it's on! :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I'm dying of suspense! :eek: When's the date so that I know when to look for the update?! Good Luck!
  • Options
    glad you decided against the meal :D

you'd presumably end up sat on a single table for 2.

not good :rolleyes:

i once went on a date, kind of blind i guess as i only met them that day.

he sat watching me eat all the bloody time so i hardly ate anything :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    I'm dying of suspense! :eek: When's the date so that I know when to look for the update?! Good Luck!
    Well, seeing as you're so interested...

We met, had a drink, played a couple of games, won a game each, so played a third decider (which I just about won). We had a laugh, took the piss out of each other, and chatted about all sorts of things. I cheekily said "Do I get a kiss for every strike I get?", and did - on the lips too. And gave her a kiss for every strike she got too. :)
    We went for a drink afterwards, chatted, joked, had a laugh, and held hands. There was a bit of a buzz in the air. I walked her back to her car (we were both driving, and therefore had to be sober), and we ended up having a chat, and a kiss, or two - or three, or.... well, you get the idea. We chatted a bit more, and then went back to my place.
    She had to be in work this morning, so had to go early. We've sent each other a couple of texts, and I'll give her a call tomorrow after work for a chat. It'd be nice to meet up again for a chat face to face, as that's more personal.
    Oh, and she's let her friend (my workmate) know what's happened! So that'll be a bit funny when I have to work with her again. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Well looks like there something blossoming then?

well seems like u had fun mate:) so shes a nice lass then
  • Options
    and a kiss, or two - or three, or.... well, you get the idea. We chatted a bit more, and then went back to my place.
    Mr_Wobble ;)

:naughty: Oi Oi!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    :naughty: Oi Oi!
    :naughty: Aye Aye!

Just thought. She said she had to tell someone about the night - her friend (my workmate) in this case, but I've just realised that I have effectively told thousands of people! :eek: However, in my defence, none of you lot know who I am, my name, or even what I look like, let alone her name, etc. So there are only a couple of people who would know who was being talked about, and they're extremely unlikely to come across this site, or read this thread. I hope. :nervous: :D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_wobble
    :naughty: Aye Aye

Good Lad!:thumb:
    smileysex5.gif
  • Options
    Sounds good man! :D Good luck.