Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GAAAH look, I don't have a TV, leave me alone!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone else getting completely inundated with letters from the TV licensing people? I've had several threatening-sounding letters from them reminding me of the fine for not having a licence, then another one telling me the same thing in slightly scarier words, then a man came round to check if I have a TV or not (which I don't) and then just now I've found a letter in my mailbox saying that ANOTHER licence blokey came round when I was out and that if I had been found to be using a TV without a licence, I would have been prosecuted blah blah blah, so I'd better get one soon. Grrrrr it's a little excessive, I think, especially when only one girl on my corridor even has a TV and has a licence for it anyway.

That was my rant for the day.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Heh. Just ignore them, if you absolutely don't have a TV, there's sod all they can do.

Which makes me wonder if there's some letters downstairs waiting for me...
  • Options
    Yeah it doesn't bother me hugely but it pisses me off how the letters they send are sooo threatening, telling me that I've narrowly escaped prosecution but that the man will be back soon so I better get one quick...

I absolutely don't have a TV. So I wish they'd just piss off.
  • Options
    Get a TV card for your computer and there's fuck all those little herberts can do about it.

Heh. Just ignore them, if you absolutely don't have a TV, there's sod all they can do.

:yes:
  • Options
    Yes, I get rude lettes in too.

"Listen up punk, we're coming yo your house and if you don't have a license for your motherfuckin' TV, we're gonna come and kick yo' white ass"

Indeed there is fuck all they can do. Even if they show up, don't let them in. They've no right of entry, tell them to bog off and come back with a policeman and a warrant.

Although Will Young is worth the £575372575897 fine in any case
    :yum: :thumb:
  • Options

Will Young
    1067956480.jpg

Rangy the Orangutan
    orangutan.jpg

They look alike, not good. :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

:yum: :thumb:

he was looking quite the sex tonight
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    he was looking quite the sex tonight

Yup.

gal15_cal_05.jpg

Such a nice lad too.
  • Options
    PHWOAR
  • Options
    My flatmate looks like Will Young

Pity he also bats for the other side.....why are all fit men gay?!
  • Options
    I've heard they can be a right nasty bunch of bastards, and will hound people to death about the license, even (as in your case) after they've had an inspeciton, etc. :mad:
    I've also heard about the threatening letters they keep sending people too. It's disgraceful that they can cause so much distress to people about the TV license fee. :mad:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    Get a TV card for your computer and there's fuck all those little herberts can do about it.
    It's a piece of equipment that is capable of recieving a TV signal, and therefore you have to pay the license fee on that. A TV card is considered as installed equipment if you read about it on their site.
    They used to only considered battery powered (not mains, or using a mains transformer) TV's that weren't connected to an externa ariel (ie only using the one that's fixed to the TV) as exempt. I don't know if this is still the case.

If you buy a TV, and that includes TV cards, or second hand TV's from a second hand shop, then the retailer by law has to give your details to them. So you either have to give a false name and address, or buy second hand through the local paper, to avoid having your name registered as the owner of equipment capable of recieving a TV signal.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    So you either have to give a false name and address, or buy second hand through the local paper, to avoid having your name registered as the owner of equipment capable of recieving a TV signal.

Mr_Wobble ;)

I'd give a false name and address, not to escape the licence people but because I've no desire for anyone to have my address (unless, of course, it significantly benefits me).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    Will Young
    Rangy the Orangutan

They look alike, not good. :no:

lmao, they so do!

hes a minger, i dont know what any of you see in him.
  • Options
    It's a piece of equipment that is capable of recieving a TV signal, and therefore you have to pay the license fee on that. A TV card is considered as installed equipment if you read about it on their site.
    They used to only considered battery powered (not mains, or using a mains transformer) TV's that weren't connected to an externa ariel (ie only using the one that's fixed to the TV) as exempt. I don't know if this is still the case.

If you buy a TV, and that includes TV cards, or second hand TV's from a second hand shop, then the retailer by law has to give your details to them. So you either have to give a false name and address, or buy second hand through the local paper, to avoid having your name registered as the owner of equipment capable of recieving a TV signal.

Mr_Wobble ;)

I'd just buy a TV card from a European supplier. Easy sorted.
  • Options
    Re: GAAAH look, I don't have a TV, leave me alone!
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Grrrrr it's a little excessive, I think, especially when only one girl on my corridor even has a TV and has a licence for it anyway.

That was my rant for the day.

Thank you.

If you are in student house or halls then a tv lisence covers the whole of the house hold so you should all chip in. The lisence may be under a persons name but the actual license covers the whole address.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Re: Re: GAAAH look, I don't have a TV, leave me alone!
    Originally posted by Crispy
    If you are in student house or halls then a tv lisence covers the whole of the house hold so you should all chip in. The lisence may be under a persons name but the actual license covers the whole address.
    Be very careful with this. If you're sharing a house or flat, then the license covers all of you. However, if you're considered as living in a bedsit, or are a lodger, then you're required to have your own TV license. If you're living in halls, then it depends upon how the halls are arranged. Most I've seen are split up into 4-6 bedroom flats, and you all just need to chip in for one license to cover all of you living in that flat. The license does not cover the rest of the building. As I said, be very careful.

I wish I'd bought my TV card with cash, and given a false address now, as those buggers now have my details, and know I have a TV card, they will probably hound me to death in the same way they're doing to LSS :mad:

I've come so close to just not bothering with the telly & license in the past. There's just not much I really want to watch on it. I only really want to watch about half a dozen programmes, and a couple of films, a week. If it were all pay-per-view, then my TV viewing would cost me peanuts!
    I also resent having to pay the license when I can't even get friggin' Channel 5 here! :mad:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: GAAAH look, I don't have a TV, leave me alone!
    I also resent having to pay the license when I can't even get friggin' Channel 5 here! :mad:

But your TV licence only covers BBC1. Channel 5 is paid through advertisement deals, etc...

Not sure if it's still true but you also needed a seperate TV licence if you had a black & white TV (A what? I hear all you youngsters saying. Yes. TV was not always in colour). But then again can you get black & white TV's?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: GAAAH look, I don't have a TV, leave me alone!
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    But your TV licence only covers BBC1. Channel 5 is paid through advertisement deals, etc...

Not sure if it's still true but you also needed a seperate TV licence if you had a black & white TV (A what? I hear all you youngsters saying. Yes. TV was not always in colour). But then again can you get black & white TV's?
    Yeah, B&W TV licences are cheaper, my nan used to have one :confused:
  • Options
    I'm not bothered really I'm just ranting because I think it's out of order the way they're so threatening about it. Most students I know don't even have TVs but they have a real thing about catching people living in halls for some reason.

And my room is considered a seperate address so it's not true that one licence covers all the TVs there. Otherwise I'd get one, but I can't afford the £116 for the licence.