Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coffee, Coffee .. Everywhere!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I took my first proper walk around central London today after hardly venturing into it inthe last two years and pretty shocked at the number of coffee shops.

I was supposed to meet someone in a Starbucks and had a hard job trying to find the right one - there were Starbucks everywhere. I walked into one an dthe manager told me there was 20 alone in Liverpool street area!!

Was also shocked at the prices £2 to £3 for a coffee??

Do you think it's worth paying that much for coffee and which ones do you like??

Comments

• Options
    ohh I love coffee. I love Starbucks, I love the little coffee shops. Sure coffee is expensive, but it tastes so damn good, and the coffee shop atmosphere is just wonderful so its all worth it.
  • Options
    That's waaaaay to expensive for a cup of coffee! (£2-3). It's amazing how prices vary. Up here they start at about £1-1.30 for a cup of coffee. In my hometown (Cheltenham), it's about £1.75-1.90.
    I was reading an article about coffee houses, and it's such a competitive market that the various chains (eg Starbucks) are buying up shops everywhere, no matter how much it costs (even in London at London prices), to gain market share for the future. It's like a war, only with a frothy head and better smelling.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I had my new PDA with WiFi - I tried it out in starbucks, it worked but shame it aint a free service!!

I like the coffee shop in friends .. I also went to some bars in London like Tiger Tiger - was surprised at how empty they were - a few years ago you'd have to queue to get in.

Also the Buzz Bar was totally shut - two years ago it would have litteraly been buzzing.
  • Options
    I don't really see the price of coffee being that big of deal. You can't even get cheap nasty gas station coffee for under $2 And usually the stuff is so gourmet and lovely. If you want cheap plain coffee, that is why they sell it in the grocery store, though you can't even get a decent coffee pot for under $150 now-a-days :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I like the coffee shop in friends .. I also went to some bars in London like Tiger Tiger - was surprised at how empty they were - a few years ago you'd have to queue to get in.

Also the Buzz Bar was totally shut - two years ago it would have litteraly been buzzing.
    This is what I was talking about. Starbucks, and other chains are starting up everywhere to put other places out of business.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Starbucks coffee isn't particularly good for the price.
    I like cafedirect coffee :yum:
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    What about the (not very) cheap-ass Costa Coffee's we always used to get from West Quay, Mr Seed? ;) That wasn't too bad.

Mmmm, coffee.. need some...
  • Options
    there isnt a starbucks round here, but I do like their latte I must admit. I also like the fact that starbucks do fairtrade coffee. Thats gotta be worth the extra.
  • Options
    We don`t have any of the big coffee chains here in Coventry, but we have a lot of small, independant places. And what we do have is Druckers Vienna Patisserie! It`s the BEST. Yay for the Midlands!
  • Options
    Ug, coffee... I have managed to get through uni without it ever passing my lips... Disgusting stuff. Now hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallow, that's a different matter. When I order that though I'm always worried I'll get mixed up and ask for mushrooms and cream... Odd...
  • Options
    I noticed this a few years ago. Haha you must have been so confused looking for the coffee place you had to meet in! :lol: Its ridiculous really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Flake_Mustaine
    What about the (not very) cheap-ass Costa Coffee's we always used to get from West Quay, Mr Seed? ;) That wasn't too bad.

Mmmm, coffee.. need some...

Costa wasn't particularly good, and certainly not cheap.

The canteen did great coffee, though...and in paper cups :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    Its ridiculous really.

Its not. Makes perfect business sense.

If Starbucks open 15 shops within a three-mile radius, then most shops will be Starbucks. Any smaller chains or independents will be forced out of business by all the myriad of Starbucks forcing away their customers. Therefore the only coffee shops will be Starbucks.

When the other chains are gone, half the Starbucks shops will close. A lot run at a slight loss, just to force out competition.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Originally posted by bad seed
    The canteen did great coffee, though...and in paper cups :D
    I still owe you 2 years worth of coffee from our College days.... ;) Mmm.. coffee, hula-hoops & a Twix... perfection. :d
  • Options
    i'm fine drinking instant coffee that costs 80p in a cafe i'd only pay £2+ for coffee for a treat. Costa Coffee mocha flake :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Its not. Makes perfect business sense.

If Starbucks open 15 shops within a three-mile radius, then most shops will be Starbucks. Any smaller chains or independents will be forced out of business by all the myriad of Starbucks forcing away their customers. Therefore the only coffee shops will be Starbucks.

When the other chains are gone, half the Starbucks shops will close. A lot run at a slight loss, just to force out competition.

This reminds me of Stage Coach Buses - when they'd move their operations to a new area they'd give people free bus rides until the competition went out of business and then start charging for the rides once all their competition had died off.

However I think most people like the layout of some of these coffee places more then the products they sell, and I think "Friends" has probabaly been the best marketing for coffee shops they could have hoped for - I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of Friends without them going to the coffee shop, although their cups look way bigger.

I'm sure many independant coffee shops serve better and cheaper coffee BUT their decor is usually very much more like a greasy spoon place.

I just saw a unit with a "to Let" sign in the window - it's located inbetween the platforms of my local train station which takes people directly to Euston and Gatwick and was thinking that would make an excellent location for a coffee shop.
  • Options
    Oh no! I take it all back.

I went into town today and noticed that we now have Costas. What`s even worse is that it is in a brand new Ottakars! A coffee shop in a book shop, what could be more sucky than that?!!
  • Options
    Coffiee :yuck:

Hot chocolate with thick creamy irish cream :yum:
  • Options
    I'm sure many independant coffee shops serve better and cheaper coffee BUT their decor is usually very much more like a greasy spoon place.
    Within a five minute walk of where I'm currently living there are three decent, independant, cofffee shops that are all excellent in decor, products, and prices. There are another three or four that are more like cafe's, but even they're not the typical greasy spoon type. There's only a couple of others that are reminiscent of the "traditional" greasy spoon cafe's, and they excel at quick cheap food, rather than coffee.
    And all this is within five minutes of me. Not to mention at least three chippys, four bakeries, three greengrocers, a couple of butchers, a fishmonger, late opening convenience stores, and dozens of other useful shops, oh - and even a branch of my bank and a cash machine. Damn good location I'm living in at the moment. I hardly ever need to go into town.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    We have Starbucks over here too! I love their coffee, it might be slightly more expensive that other coffee shops, but I like the atmosphere of Starbucks (big comfortable couches...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Oh no! I take it all back.

I went into town today and noticed that we now have Costas. What`s even worse is that it is in a brand new Ottakars! A coffee shop in a book shop, what could be more sucky than that?!!

there is a book shop right near the cutty sark station with a costa coffee inside... always had a couple of people there when i was in it... makes pretty good sense to me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz

creamy irish cream :yum:
    How can you get uncreamy cream?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karma Killer
    there is a book shop right near the cutty sark station with a costa coffee inside... always had a couple of people there when i was in it... makes pretty good sense to me!

If I was running a bookshop having steaming cups of coffee near my books would not make any sense at all!

Anyway, my objection is that it is so bloody.... ELLEN. Ack. The "lifestyle" set should be shot in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karma Killer

That's really new though, it wasn't there about 2 years ago, only after all the docklands development moved in.
    I have no problems with coffee shops in bookshops personally. As long as it's Costa, i actually don't like Starbucks very much.
  • Options
    Mmmm, Starbucks.

When I visited America I went to Starbucks almost every day, there was so many everywhere!

I do like the atmosphere too, and the hot chocolate is lovely!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joey Potter
    Mmmm, Starbucks.

When I visited America I went to Starbucks almost every day, there was so many everywhere!

I do like the atmosphere too, and the hot chocolate is lovely!

How much is a coffee in the USA? I bet a lot cheaper then in the UK. When Starbucks first started out the price of coffee was quite high but it's been falling and falling and they've just kept the prices of their coffee the same so making bigger profits.

Has anyone tried roasted coffee beans with peanuts, tastes pretty nice, was given it once.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried roasted coffee beans with peanuts, tastes pretty nice, was given it once.

How exactly does that work? :confused:

Are the peanuts and coffee beans ground up together and then used? I would have thought the peanuts to be too insoluble but it sounds nice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    How exactly does that work? :confused:

Are the peanuts and coffee beans ground up together and then used? I would have thought the peanuts to be too insoluble but it sounds nice.

LOL .. no not in a coffee I mean just to eat.

Roasted peanuts but with a few coffee beans here and there tastes really nice.
  • Options
    LOL .. no not in a coffee I mean just to eat.

Roasted peanuts but with a few coffee beans here and there tastes really nice.

Ahhh riiiiiiiiight!

Well that made me look pretty damn silly! :o

But one day I'll make a coffee/peanut hybrid and then you won't be laughing... :p