Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

face transplants.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
on radio two yesterday.
total face transplants are now a reality. good news for those disfigured in accidents but ...a plastic surgeon on the show was saying that it will also be available for anyone who wants a new face cos they're sick of the old one. the supply of new faces will come from the dead. so if someone in your family dies and leaves their bits to a hospital you may well see their face in the pub or tescos. sounds a bit alarming to me.
your face must be the most identifying part of you. looking in the mirror and seeing someonelses face must be a bit disconcerting as well.
other than for medical reasons would you consider having your face removed and someonelses put in its place?

Comments

• Options
    Re: face transplants.

It all sounds a little bit too much like invasion of the bodysnatchers to me. I'm squeamish anyway, so even the thought of a face transplant makes me shudder, before I consider the moral/ethical issues.
    How will people get the transplants - can you pick the face you want? Would you get faces from the same sex or just whatever was lying around?
    What happens if 'back street' surgeons get hold of the technique - the possibilities for fraud will be immense.
    Would there be bouts of 'face-related' killings??

edited because I can't spell today
  • Options
    Conicidentally I only watched Face/Off the other day...
  • Options
    its turning into a scarey scarey world man.
    its a great thing for people who are seriously disfigured but for people just being "bored" with their face it is so wrong.
  • Options
    The thought of that just creeps me out. *shudder*
  • Options
    it would be shocking to see a loved ones face (even if you knew they were donating) on someone else. it would be upsetting i think.
    when my grampa died in the ex services mens hospital we just left his wheel chair there for others to use as we didnt need it. thing is, it had his name written on the back and a week or so after he died we went into the ward to take in a thank you gift for all the staff and men on the ward and someone that looked very similar to my gramps from the back was sitting in his wheelchair, my heart nearly stopped. i was so shocked and upset, for that split second i thought it was him!
    to see a loved ones face on someone else would break my heart.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    The thought of that just creeps me out. *shudder*

:yes: same here its just like ergh!
  • Options
    that. is. if. true. rank.
  • Options
    Thats just wrong.:eek2:
  • Options
    On the one hand, I like the way we have the technology to do this, because I'm really one for science.

On the other hand... :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    that. is. if. true. rank.
    well i'm pressuming it's true. it was on the jerremy vine show. two doctors disscussing it ...one of the doctors had facial disfigurment himself from a childhood accident. he was concerned about it being able as a cosmetic tool as opposed to a medical one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    well i'm pressuming it's true. it was on the jerremy vine show. two doctors disscussing it ...one of the doctors had facial disfigurment himself from a childhood accident. he was concerned about it being able as a cosmetic tool as opposed to a medical one.

yeah i saw something about it on TV this morning
  • Options
    ive gone all cold after reading this......:(
    i did have something to say but its gone now.
  • Options
    The face wouldn't quite work, and look quite the same, anyway because of the underlying bone structure, etc.
    Are you sure this can be done Mr Roll, or was it a funny dream?

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Face lifts, bah hum bug. Even though I don't like my face, I would not get anything done to my face, face lift wise. Might get a nose piercing or a lip piercing, but that's about it. Already tried an eye brow piercing, but that got infected, but hoping, when thinking of getting a nose piercing, that that won't get infected.:(
  • Options
    It is true, I was watching it on the news the other day. As wee wuman said, it would be so freaky to see somebody elses face on somebody. Say you were walking down the street, then all of the sudden you saw your best friend who you thought was dead. Except it was just their face. They do a bit of plastic surgery work to get the face to fit the bone structure of the face they are putting it on.

It must cause some psychological damage to the person who has the new face, even if they wanted it. Waking up every morning and looking in the mirror to find one face only to wake up one morning after so many years to look into the mirror and see somebody completly different. Granted I'm sure the person would look reletavily the same, same cheek bones, chin, hair, eyes, but still...

And with all the "accidents" that happen during such things, what would you do if you were one color skin, and had this transplant only to find out that your face was a whole nother shade than the rest of your body :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

It must cause some psychological damage to the person who has the new face, even if they wanted it. Waking up every morning and looking in the mirror to find one face only to wake up one morning after so many years to look into the mirror and see somebody completly different. Granted I'm sure the person would look reletavily the same, same cheek bones, chin, hair, eyes, but still...

And with all the "accidents" that happen during such things, what would you do if you were one color skin, and had this transplant only to find out that your face was a whole nother shade than the rest of your body :eek2:
    glad someone can confirm i wasn't in cloud cuckoo land ...i do go there sometimes ...
    in the radio chat, the doctor with the disfigured face was hinting about the psycological problems that such a transplant may well cause. your face is your outer persona ...your identification mark to those outside. the exterior personality ...the mask.
    it's new. will the first few patients eventualy go mad?
  • Options
    if my face was severely disfigured then i'd want to try everything to get to looking back to normal. ok so having someone elses face is a freaky thought but it wouldnt actually look like their face because of your own bone and muscle structure.

i dont like the idea for vanity reasons but as time goes on we get used to new scientific procedures anyway and accept it as the norm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    but it wouldnt actually look like their face because of your own bone and muscle structure.

That's exactly what this plastic surgeon said on TV - that the face would look different anyway because the shape of your skull and bones would make it look different.

I've seen a few people disfigured by fire and I think if it helps them lead a more normal life then it's a great idea.

You could argue that society needs to change and be more accepting of people with disfigurements but in the real world this isn't going to help someone with a disfigurement when gettng a job or dating, etc.