Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legalised Homosexual Marriage?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could be, if you live in the US...

Story here

So, what do you think - a good move, more proof that Mass. is the most liberal state in the US or more a case of my god what are they doing, more proof that the people of Mass. need their collective head examined?

Comments

• Options
    Gay couples should be allowed to 'marry' if they want and have same benefits as hetrosexual couples.
  • Options
    I wouldn't really see any problems with that. If gay couples want to get married then why not?:)
  • Options
    I agree, their relationship and how they feel about one another is as natural and normal in my view as any hetrosexual relationship. If they're in love and want to spend their lives together, then they should be able to legalise that and make it official.
  • Options
    I think that same-sex couples should be entitled to the same legal protection as heterosexual couples, but I would stop short of allowing them marriage.

Though as things such as MIRAS and MCA have now pretty much been abolished, much to the detriment of this country, I doubt theres much difference now.

They still shouldnt be allowed to adopt under any circumstance though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They still shouldnt be allowed to adopt under any circumstance though.

How come? I'm not sure myself but you seem very decided on that.
  • Options
    :blush: silly me, just found the board you started about gay adoption... i'll go there then. you can tell I'm new...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's partly a question of civil rights - you know, what you can get if you're married and stuff. But equally, gay couples ought to have the right to celebrate their union just as a stright couple can.
  • Options
    Oh no!
    Gay marriage shouldn’t be legalised!
    For my gay friends’ sake, never!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you want them to get under the 1000000000 kilowatt press of marriage laws and regulations?
  • Options
    Why shouldn't marriage be allowed?

Christianity says that sex should be entirely for procreation, right? Or at least Catholicism says that and if a gay couple can't have kids then fair enough. But let us not forget that we shouldn't allow infertile couples to get married if procreation is the only reason for marriage to exist.

Other than that, love is love.
  • Options
  • Options
    So if a woman had a hysterectamy (is that how it's spelt? That operation to take out the womb) then does that mean she wouldn't be allowed to marry? Because without a womb you cannot give birth to a child... What about disabled couples?

Anyway, why not let them get married? They're people too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    So if a woman had a hysterectamy (is that how it's spelt? That operation to take out the womb) then does that mean she wouldn't be allowed to marry? Because without a womb you cannot give birth to a child... What about disabled couples?

Under strict religious doctrine, no they are not allowed to marry. A priest can still refuse to marry someone who cannot have children, and noty being able to have children is grounds for annullment.

Anyway, why not let them get married? They're people too.

Because marriage is a religious sacrament to join a man and a woman together. Not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

I think gays should be entitled to the same legal protection as common law unmarried spouses, but marriage should remain sacrosanct. Homosexuals shouldnt be allowed to be married, because marriage is not JUST about two people loving each other. Simple as.
  • Options
    Because marriage is a religious sacrament to join a man and a woman together. Not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

So it'd be ok if people don't marry in a church? Most religions have a marriage of some sort, but looking at church statistics the UK is becoming dechriatianised anyway. What about Christmas? It is a religious celebration for the birth of Christ yet how many people do you know who go to chruch on Christmas day?

Times change and so does religion.
  • Options
    Queers shouldn't be aloud to marry. Marrage is between a man and a women and not a man and man or woman and woman.

Leviticus 18:22 "Thou shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    Queers shouldn't be aloud to marry. Marrage is between a man and a women and not a man and man or woman and woman.

Leviticus 18:22 "Thou shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. :yes:

Offensive and ignorant post.

And anyone who bases their opinions on a book that was written over 2000 years ago is an idiot.
  • Options

:eek2: O..... k.

But we have women priests now and that wasn't allowed before.
  • Options
    Offensive and ignorant post.

How was that ignorant? It's all true. Do you not know what ignorant means?
  • Options
    Marriage is'nt always religous and I know if I get married it will not be a religous affair. I dont see how gay couples getting married would effect all you people saying it should not be allowed :confused: Why does it bother you? Why do you care? Just because your probably not gay and you cant help what your sexual orientation is, can you? So why deny someone of the choice to be happy? Cant you live and let live? Or do you want everyone to be the same as you and if their not it should not be allowed? What if you were gay and you wanted to marry your loved one but your told you cant? Or if you were told you cant get married because someone else doesnt agree with it? Oh but it doesnt matter because your not in this predicament are you? So as long as your happy, fine and dandy nothing else matters.
  • Options

The quote is true, but saying they shouldn't is a opinion.

Funny how according to the Bible a man cannot love another man and a woman cannot love another women, yet it says nothing about paedophilia.

Then again, I suppose living your life to the Bible is extremely ignorant. But ignorance is bliss.
  • Options

Are you even Christian? Or is the fact that " the Bible says you shouldnt do it", the only excuse you have?

I don't suppose you eat seafood or masturbate?
  • Options
    Excuse me? Queers?!

That aside, your argument is fairly standard. But there are many laws in Leviticus that we no longer keep. Not wearing mixed fibres, as another standard example.

Of course, Paul wrote on the subject, and if we're on the legitimacy of gay relationships Romans 1 is fairly condemnatory.

But gays can love God. And I have never heard a convincing argument condemning celibate gay relationships. A union between two people is a gift from God (in my opinion) and having God's blessing on your union is important to many people. Gays can be Christians, too, and it's not all about sex!

But what if marriage is a civil service? As Vicky says, many people marry for love alone and don't believe in any god.
  • Options

Yes thanks. I said ignorant because you obviously have no knowledge of life or how people are. If you base your opinions on the bible, you're an idiot.
  • Options
    Excuse me? Queers?!

yes queers.

I just don't believe in their way of life full stop.
    If you base your opinions on the bible, you're an idiot.

mmmm jump to conclusions..........
    no knowledge of life

I spent nearly 6 years in the Royal Marines so don't you DARE tell me I have no knowledge of life you little cretin!!
  • Options
    yes queers.

I just don't believe in their way of life full stop.

Why not? Homosexuals are people, the same as you and me. Why does it bother you? :confused:

mmmm jump to conclusions..........

If you use the Bible to back up your ignorant and foolish opinions, what other conclusion am I supposed to draw?
    I spent nearly 6 years in the Royal Marines so don't you DARE tell me I have no knowledge of life you little cretin!!

I rest my case.
  • Options
    Homosexual marriage shouldn’t be legalised. As well as heterosexual one. Marriage is private business and it should be privatise.
    People may say homosexual marriage is wrong ( or not marriage at all) if it is against their moral or religious beliefs but government may not because it has neither morality nor religion.
    If you think Church only has the right to bless your marriage, ask it.
    If you think it’s you who owns this right, do it.
    But government’s monopoly to give marriage permissions is absurdity, blasphemy and insolence. If some kind of marriage is sin let God and your conscience judge it, not politicians who are guilty in much more terrible sins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    If you use the Bible to back up your ignorant and foolish opinions, what other conclusion am I supposed to draw?

But marriage in its proper form is religious, and all the major religious texts say pretty much the same thing.

Basing opinion on religion on a religious text is rather understandable, I think. Regardless of how anachronistic words can be termed.

If marriage becomes reduced to the legal act of signing a form, then it should be allowed for homosexuals as well. And given that Married Couples Allowance has been replaced with Working Families Tax Credit, there isnt any taxational reasons to stop it.

Though I will admit that I am fed up of tossers like Tatchell advertising homosexuality as superior, because if we were all gay wed be extinct in 30 years.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when marriage was 'invented' and who by?
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Does anyone know when marriage was 'invented' and who by?

Nope. But its no coincidence that all religions say pretty much the same thing, I dont thing.

Its probably got its roots in human health, with the belief that monogamy is best for kids and best at protecting against STDs. Its the same with the Jewish laws on Kosher meats being based on protecting meat from the arid heat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What about Christmas? It is a religious celebration for the birth of Christ yet how many people do you know who go to chruch on Christmas day?

Yeah, and Im of the opinion that anyone who isnt a Christian shouldnt be allowed time off work at Christmas. Its the same with Easter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If marriage becomes reduced to the legal act of signing a form,

But it is just that in a civil ceremony. And most marriages are civil these days I'd have thought.