Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anybody noticed this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive noticed that it seems to be a trend with black teenagers (not yet seen one person of any other race do this) to wear their keys around their necks. I see at least 20 people a day in Lewisham and New Cross, then i go to college in Kent and see close to EVERY black person wearing their keys around their necks i reckon theres got to be hundreds and hundreds of people doing this at college (some even wearing their mobiles!!!!!!) I dont understand this. A mate told me she wears hers not for fashion like everyone else but because she loses her key. Implying that the general reason for wearing it is fashion. Then i find out in a jewellery shop in lewisham you can by pendants in the shape of keys!! Theres loads of them apparantly, people are paying hundreds for a gold key!!! Others wearing their doorkeys.... :confused:

Am i missing something? Im baffled....

How could this fashion pass me by?! :rolleyes: any other londoners noticed this? Anyone from other parts of the country?

Comments

• Options
    I've seen it too, loads of kids around my way do it too, it seems to me that they would bounce and bash your chest a bit, it cant be that comfortable.

Oh shit, I just mentioned the word comfortable in reference to a new fashion, I'm OLD!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I first started seeing people wearing mobile sround their necks a couple of years ago (and I wasn't just young blacks) but I havn't seen anyone wearing a key around their neck yet!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    it's not reached us country hicks yet.
  • Options
    Its to stop you getting "locked" out.

Aint hit these shores yet- and hopefully wont either
  • Options
    I seen them wearing phones round their necks in raves for AGES which to me, is the STUPIDEST, STUPIDEST thing you could EVER do at a rave, especially a drum and bass event where people can be less than honest & friendly!!!

But only recently seen them wearing then during day time.

Im ALL for comfort over fashion ALWAYS! I think they look like mugs :p
  • Options
    That's nothing when I go out I write my name and address on my forehead and have an ear-ring made out of a five pound note. That way at the end of a drunken night all I have to do is crawl to the nearest Taxi and the rest sorts itself out; the taxi driver just pulls the note from my ear - job done. The keys around the neck 'trend' is just the next logical step.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge...
  • Options
    Sorry to sound stupid but...

How the hell do you wear a phone round your neck?! :confused:
  • Options
    just what i was thinkin!!
  • Options
    You can buy these things (no idea what you would call them) in sports shops like canvas material thats like a big long loop with a clip at the bottom so hard to explain... usually puma (thats what they all like to wear)

In some shops, free spirit for example they ahve them with cards hanging off them.

Or when you go to a gig you can get them, like with your pass hanging off etc etc those things, worn round the nexk and you can get little loops you attatch to your phone which is then attatched to that.
  • Options
    yar they have these at our school, however its alot of people, all creed colour and gender.
    i thought it was a piss take of the sixth formers and teachers who have their i.d. cards for school, but oh well, seems i was trying to amuse myself.

however i do have one which has my prefect card on it cos i kept losing it
  • Options
    We get given our ID cards to wear on chains, and now everyone seems to be going out and spending money to get puma or coloured things to clip their ID on to to make a fashion statement out of it...

dont get that either!

so everyone wears them, whether its their phone on them or their cards i think its silly but thats just me, maybe ill buy one soon :p
  • Options
    Wearing mobiles round your neck.....SAD.
    Makes me want to walk upto you, rip it off and run off. But I won't because I'm law abiding lol.
  • Options
    i avent seen keys in this country, but when i was in france evry lad we saw/met had his mobile round his neck! :eek2:
  • Options
    A lot of people here do that.
    The only difference is the brand of keyholder it is.
  • Options
    Laughing at the guy who said he'd pinch the phone from around people's necks if he saw them. These people are asking for touble - lol. I don't get why people have to show off so much. I got a better idea why don't you choke them with their own vanity - whilst making a long distance phone call. He He He...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." - Barry LePatner
  • Options
    Having my phone ounching off my chest all the time would just irritate me...
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess

prefect card

Please tell me WTF a prefect does. I thought they kept ppl out of trouble, but if there were prefects in my school who gave us into trouble some of the neds would not take kindly to it.
  • Options
    I dont know why, but i get the impression they do it because they know that anybody could get it jacked off their necks, so its a statement to say 'im hard, you cant jack me id kill you' sort of thing... likeas if to say they have enough confidence in their ability to defend themselves and their property that they dont need to hide it.

just the impression ive got :chin: