Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Charity shops ban Jesus ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you make of this. Apparently the Red Cross are banning Jesus from its shops for fear of offending minority faiths.
The charity has told volunteers not to create nativity scenes or put up advent calendars even if they have pictures of Mary, Joseph or the three wise men.
Now to me this is bloody ridiculous, can they actually do this or is it discrimination ?
Tory backbencher Nigel Evans said the policy was "political correctness gone mad" and I have to agree.
I think they have taken this step too far and I also think a lot of people will also feel the same.

Comments

• Options
    This happend a while ago didnt it? Last Christmas I think! Its madness!
  • Options
    That is highly pathetic and most people from other faiths would agree with that!

This reminds me of when Birmingham City Council :rolleyes: renamed Christmas "Winterval" so as to not "offend" anyone. As if anyone would be offended in the first place, it's PC gone insane.

We live in a majority Christian country (although at times you would be pressed to know it), I'm tired of hearing these silly stories of people with too much time on their hands.
  • Options
    The majority of people celebrate Christmas, but a majority of Christians, I would think not.

Everyone gets the nativity wrong anyway, the three wise men didnt come on the same night as the shepards, they came about three weeks later.
  • Options
    We do live in a majority Christian country, according to the last census.
  • Options
    Its not descrimination so long as they ban all religious displays
  • Options
    I just cannot beleive that they have banned it , for once you will all be pleased to know im speechless :lol:
  • Options
    Personally I would take anything the census says with a pinch of salt, I was employed by them and know quite a bit about how it was conducted in parts of London, and, well shoddy would be a good way of putting it.
  • Options
    Re: Charity shops ban Jesus ?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Apparently the Red Cross are banning Jesus from its shops for fear of offending minority faiths.

This is an organisation which was recently bombed in Iraq, possibly because of the link with Christianity...

They are also an organisation which needs to have impartiality in it's "Blood" because of the work it does around the world. Being linked with a particular religion could be dangerous for it's workers.

I have no problem with their stance - but as others have said - they need to be consistent...
  • Options
    Yes, but they are called the red cross.
    Normally I'd agree and say that a humanitarian organisation should kepp out of religion and politics. But this is based on a christian initiative.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Yes, but they are called the red cross.
    Normally I'd agree and say that a humanitarian organisation should kepp out of religion and politics. But this is based on a christian initiative.

Aren't they also called the Red Crecent in the Muslim word?

Or is that a different organisation?

But yes, it's based on a christian initiative, but it isn't a religious organisation.
  • Options
    I think it's a different organisation, but with ties to The Red Cross.
    At least I assume so, since The Red Cross, supports them and doesn't financially recognize Magen David Adom, which means The Red Shield of David.
  • Options
    the red cross has nothing to do with the cross of cristendom.
  • Options
    All the Muslims & Jews I know at work are certainly not offended by Christmas, just the same as I'm not offended by Ramadan etc.

These idiots who think up and implement this pc crap highlight issues which aren't their in the first place causing unnecessary problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman

These idiots who think up and implement this pc crap highlight issues which aren't their in the first place causing unnecessary problems.
    exactly!
    inmultiracial manchester pc has cuased serious problems the last few years. multi racial mates used to take the piss out of each other ...paki chink honky etc. now those terms cannot be used endearingly ...making jokes about ethnicity etc are what helped bond a lot of people on building sites and in pubs across the land.
    now no one knows whats alowed and whats not. when it was left to the people themselves to make these decisions it worked ...the bnp and such like were more marginalised ...then came the pc brigade from the chattering classes with their fucking stupid rules ...
  • Options
    the music department at my school have 'been informed' they are not allowed to have a 'christmas concert' and must have a 'seasonal celebration' in case they offend anyone in our multicculutral school.

i think its ridiculous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    the music department at my school have 'been informed' they are not allowed to have a 'christmas concert' and must have a 'seasonal celebration' in case they offend anyone in our multicculutral school.

i think its ridiculous.
    The place I used to work at wouldnt let us have a Christmas party, it had to be a 'Seasonal Celebration' too.
    What bollox.
  • Options
    I really think these narrow-minded PC twits should get out more. Just think, practising Christians would be persecuted in some countries, but here Christians are the majority and we don't persecute members of other religions. We are tolerant of them, and that is the way it should be. The PC brigade are only patronising minorities, not helping them.
  • Options
    The Red Cross is a charity; it is totally dependent on contributions from Jo Public. If the Red Cross pisses off enough members of the public they will stop their contributions and the Red Cross will collapse. I understand that the Red Cross is struggling mainly due to the negative impact of the now closed Red Cross centre at Sangate.

They never have and never will get a penny of my cash.
  • Options
    happy happy birthday ya old croc!