Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Freeview Set Top Boxes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone have any luck getting hold of one of those Freeview Boxes for £39.99?

All the stores I called sold out on day One!!!

although I see Argos will be selling a Bush one for the same price but it's a very basic model without a TV Guide.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Did anyone have any luck getting hold of one of those Freeview Boxes for £39.99?

although I see Argos will be selling a Bush one for the same price but it's a very basic model without a TV Guide.

Which shop ?

Also im after kids stuff for christmas do you know any sales on anywhere ? things like bike, girls stuff etc.

• Options
    I used to have a Pace one but that blew up :(. I can't get sky up stairs now I'm back home so I might get one of those Freeview boxes.

They do rage from like 50-200 quid but what's the diff? I know one has got a built in DVD player and the other can record.. the make?

I was thinking about getting the freeview box for my PC which I think they do in Argos for about 100 quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    I used to have a Pace one but that blew up :(. I can't get sky up stairs now I'm back home so I might get one of those Freeview boxes.

They do rage from like 50-200 quid but what's the diff? I know one has got a built in DVD player and the other can record.. the make?

I was thinking about getting the freeview box for my PC which I think they do in Argos for about 100 quid.

Ohh, I like the idea of one for my PC. Anymore information at your fingertips?
  • Options
    Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes

Thats because dixons and curries underestimated the demand damn them we could have told them ourselves that they would sel out super fast ( i work for dixons you understand - salesman :D )

Its back up to £99.99 now though dunno if curries still got it on offer though :confused:

Anyway getting more and more popular now...
    But

Whats with so many bloody people getting Freeview and Freeserve Mixed up...does my head in *slaps head* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles

The only differance between the digi boxes is the make and the design the channels you receive are exactly the same...thought it depends obviously on the kind of reception you are getting as well through your aerial.

Also the cheaper ones dont tend to come with that all important scart cable which it must have.....spend around £100 and you should get everything you need.
  • Options
    I'd so buy one for that price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    I'd so buy one for that price.

Me too :yes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Which shop ?

Also im after kids stuff for christmas do you know any sales on anywhere ? things like bike, girls stuff etc.

Currys had a big TV Ad with Linda Barker advertsing the set top boxes made by Furgerson. But they've totally gone and now back up to £59.99

I reckon Freeview boxes will be the big selling item of this Xmas. Last year was DVD Players, I think this year the STB will be a bigg seller if more people can sell them for £40.

Really the BBC should be getting in on the act and selling them since they're the ones now providing the techincal backing to it.

No idea on Bikes or kids stuff.. sorry but I know Freeview has 2 dedicated Children's Channels so that may be handy in keeping them occupied for a bit.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes
    I reckon Freeview boxes will be the big selling item of this Xmas.

:O I never even thought about that. I'll ask for one for christmas. :yes: My my, we do have brains on this forum.
  • Options
    If its any help to any of you ( for info )

http://www.freeview.co.uk

:)
  • Options
    Currys had a big TV Ad with Linda Barker advertsing the set top boxes made by Furgerson.

She's everywhere her. Like shit in a field.
  • Options
    No idea on Bikes or kids stuff..

Well do me a favour if you hear of any shops having good bargains like this let me know will ya :D

Im sorted with a bike though, some very kind person PM me with a place o get one so I went to the site and can get a bike including delivery for £57.95 (i think it was), so i was well impressed :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by ®
    The only differance between the digi boxes is the make and the design the channels you receive are exactly the same...thought it depends obviously on the kind of reception you are getting as well through your aerial.

Difference are a bit more then that.

Channels are indeed the same BUT a few differences.

For instance the £40 Bush one being solf in Argos has no Interactive features- it just gives you the channels - no TV guide or teletext type service from what I can tell??

It also has only one Scart socket.

Some have an RF Modulator which allows you to tune into a channel to pickup the Freeview programmes - usefulf or old TV's with no scart socket and also if you want to distribute the signal throughout the house. Although Maplins sell modulators on their own for about £30.

Also the microchips they use differ, some boxes will automatically add new channels as they come along and other need to be asked to manually tune them in - but I doubt you'll get many more channels then already there.

And also some boxes operate faster then others in their TV guide modes, etc.

We have a Samsung Set top Box from Costco for £86.

The design is quite nice, although we have a Samsung Tva nd it's a bit dumb the remote won't work witht he TV so you still need to keep two remotes by you.

We've got Sky TV and I simply got freeview so my dad could watchthe news channels more then anything and also he like Ricki Lake on FTN. Apaprt from that nothing that brilliant about Freeview. Apart from the nice picture quality no ghost images, very little break up compared to the old Ondigital System and better pictures (less pixels)

BTW the Bush boxes onthe Argos website are still about £20 more then the TV ad I saw tonight.

I reckon if Argos are gonna sell boxes for £39.99 Dixons and Comet will have to sell something that will match the match and hopefully better spec. I guess we could all rush out and buy the Argos box and have 16 days to see if any of the other sellers brings out something better for same money??
  • Options
    Currys had a big TV Ad with Linda Barker advertsing the set top boxes made by Furgerson.

I hate her. She's a fucking wankfaced cow. She's SOOOO swinging from the chair people of currys' tits and balls. Dosy mare. :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    I hate her. She's a fucking wankfaced cow. She's SOOOO swinging from the chair people of currys' tits and balls. Dosy mare. :|

:yes:

I bet she's well loaded.
  • Options
    anybody wanna buy a watch?
  • Options
    Oh if you need scart cables - Tesco's and Asda sell then cheaper then most - PLaces like Dixons want a fortune fo rthese kind of things.

Bought a printer at PC world and they wanted £15 for it - I buy the same cable for 35p off the internet - costs £4 to be delivered but still cheaper!!!

That's what annoyed me about my Samsumg - spent £86 on it and no scart cable included!! Since this is the only method available to connect to a TV there really should have been one there.

I'd say Freeview is always going to be alimited service - and will never offer the range of channels as Sky TV or Cable - part of this is because there's no slot for a smart card that would allow premium channels in the future.

They quote upto 30 new channels but remember this includes Radio channels and teletext. and also some channels only operate for less then 12 hours a day and then another one take off.

I only got freeview cos I know I got a year to take the box back if I want and get all my money back. And figured in the year the prices would fall, hopefully this move by currys will spark a bit of a price war!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    :yes:

I bet she's well loaded.

She's fucking on the bloody garnier crappy hair dye thingy now too :|:|:|

Stupid old bat needs to blonde her greys..hahaha..stupid bint. Next she'll be doing Walkers Crisps..>:|
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    She's fucking on the bloody garnier crappy hair dye thingy now too :|:|:|

Stupid old bat needs to blonde her greys..hahaha..stupid bint. Next she'll be doing Walkers Crisps..>:|

She's only getting all this commerical work after doing "I'm a celeb get me out of here"
  • Options
    I got an email today confirming the new price of £39.99

I've used the ring and reserve thing to reserve one at my local store. Hopefully within 16 days a better offer will come along fromsomeone else!! As personally I hate Bush products afte afte one of their alars clocks and Getto blasters when I was a student!!!

wow1.jpg
  • Options
    I got an email today confirming the new price of £39.99

I've used the ring and reserve thing to reserve one at my local store. Hopefully within 16 days a better offer will come along fromsomeone else!! As personally I hate Bush products afte afte one of their alars clocks and Getto blasters when I was a student!!!

wow1.jpg

Erm, whats the number? and we are still talking about the Freeview boxes, yes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Erm, whats the number? and we are still talking about the Freeview boxes, yes?

I just reserved online www.argos.co.uk

They've alreadys old out in Watford ... going fast!!!!

Yes these are freeview boxed BUT no teletext and TV guide - it gives you the channels and that's it!!!

But if Argos do their 16 day money back policy then I'm sure this close to Xmas Dixons or Comets will have to fight back!!

I
  • Options
    Can't get freevew where I live :( It's not fair.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Well do me a favour if you hear of any shops having good bargains like this let me know will ya :D

Im sorted with a bike though, some very kind person PM me with a place o get one so I went to the site and can get a bike including delivery for £57.95 (i think it was), so i was well impressed :D

i think if you spend 50quid on boots.com you get a freeview box worth 100quid half price *nods*

ive just bought 16christmas pressies off boots.com for 64£

shelly likes that price:D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Freeview Set Top Boxes
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    i think if you spend 50quid on boots.com you get a freeview box worth 100quid half price *nods*

ive just bought 16christmas pressies off boots.com for 64£

shelly likes that price:D

if you were going to spend over £50 anyway then £50 for the phillips box is a good deal - it's better then the Bush box.

Hoever the Simplicity of the bush system is pretty good for the old foggies who have a hard time working out anything remotely techincal.

Anyway. I've bought 2 bush STB's and tried the first one - seems OK.

There's is a now and next thing as you flick on each channel. The remote is very generic - doesn't even say Bush on it and the box uses a power pack instead of pluggin directly into the mains.

Although that could be a good thing if you wanted to use it with a portable TV such as in a caravan.
  • Options
    I just noticed one thing about the BUSH STB - there's no off button!!!

I guess this means if you power it off you need to search again for new channels!!!

There is a short TV guide thing that tells you about the programme on now and the next one, so not as bad as I thought - seems to work fine.

No option to change aspect to wide screen if you have such a TV.

Works fine though so far!!

Edited to say there's is a why to turn off the box in to standby mode through an onscreen menu - also able to change to widescreen so overall box is better then I expected.
  • Options
    Noticed a little bit of picture breakup on the Bush box - however this when usig it in my bedroom. The Samsung box we have had for a few months now is in my parents room and never had any break up - but can't say if this is due to a better box or the fact that the box is the very first device to recieve the signal from the TV Antenna before the signal is then sent through out the house through a signal booster.

Also forgot to mention that Argos fo rthe next day or so is doing a special offer whereby if you spend £50 you get a £5 voucher back, £10 if you spend over £100 and £13 if you spend over £150.

yesterday my stuff was coming to £146 so I bought a £6 cordless kettle to get my £15 voucher!!!