Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scottish motor show.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was at the Scottish motor show at the SECC this weekend. Yay.

First car to be seen in the foyer was the gatling gun-equipped Jaguar XKR from the last James Bond film. We're off to a good start. First stand in through the door was the Jaguar stand, featuring all of their current models, including the new XJ. I had a seat in the back and it was lovely, with plenty of room and really soft leather. The man on the stand did say there probably would be a Daimler version and it would have a long wheelbase, endowing it with even more space.
Next to the Jaguars was the Land Rover stand, again with an example of each of their models including the new Freelander. I wasn't impressed with the new model, I preferred the dashboard of the old model, and the new Range Rover style headlights don't really add anything to it. Speaking of the new Range Rover, wow! Its absolutely gorgeous, but I wouldn't want to get it muddy. What I would want would be the G4 special edition Discovery. This is a stripped-down Lotusised Disco, designed for serious off-road action.

Another thing I want is the new MG ZT260. Its a ZT with a Ford Mustang engine and rear-wheel drive. And the dealer assured me that the ZT is available with all the wood and chrome of its Rover 75 twin. When I come to replace my Rover 214, this will be top of the shopping list.

Another car that caught my attention was the Mitsubishi Shogun. Its a bit like the Discovery, but is also available in a short-wheelbase version for those who don't have two kids and a dog to carry. This is a serious contender for my best 4x4 award.

Looking round the other stands, the Renault stand had some beautiful cars, including the new Megane Coupe. I much prefer the stylish new Megane to the bland model it replaces, and the Coupe is the most stylish of the whole range (with a much nicer arse than the hatchback).
Volkswagen had several new models, including the new Transporter (will make an excellent camper), the Phaeton (will make an excellent hearse) and the Toureg (will make an excellent tractor).
Kia's range impressed. Despite being relatively new to the market, Kia's latest models are quite sylish and well built. Not to be sniffed at.

But I left the best car 'til last. On its own, surrounded by a fence was the new Bentley Continental GT. There were no salesmen, no brochures and no scantily clad girls. And it didn't need them. The car's utterly gorgeous looks are its own advert. Anyone who doesn't want one needs their head seeing to.

Comments

• Options
    i didnt read all that-too much, but just saying im modeling in the motorshow nxt year MAYBE! so lol there ya go :p:D
  • Options
    Was there any sneaky peaks of the new Peugeot 107 there?

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    My Dad and blokey are going there tomorrow :yes:

</random>
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Was there any sneaky peaks of the new Peugeot 107 there?

.:Crispy:.

No. Also conspicuous by their abscence were the curvylicious new Mazda RX-8 and Rolls-Royce's gothic masterpiece, the Phantom.
  • Options
    I was at the NEC International Classic Motor Show last weekend- they had a few great cars on display. They had the Back to the Future delorian from (the one from the second film with all the futuristic bits on). Also was the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Car on display.

Last year they did have the Latest Jame bond Car (fully done out with the gadgets( they did half hourly displays on what the car does in the film.