Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hypothetical, futuristic situation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say the year is 2068 or something :p and the world is overpopulated, and there is really bad overcrowding. A new state that promises free healthcare (of good standard, not NHS like :p), a good lifestyle, social security, employment and more or less between the lines happiness, has been created. The only criteria you have to have for this is to be productive in one sense or another, and submit to social observation + controls. These controls are merely don't do wrong etc, but there is a more sinister side. You must let all your personal life be monitored by a group of 'watchers' who can monitor where people are, and what they are doing, at all times. They need to know this (they say) incase anyone tries to upset society life, then they can be removed.

Outside this haven, life is pretty much shit, but you can get by. The aged government social securitys are very crappy nowadays considering, but people who are sensible can get by. But don't fool yourself - with the high unemployment there's no real prospect of a 'good life' unless you are already at the top.

So my question? Do you submit your entire private life to the 'watchers' and live in their Utopia, or do you suffer in the world.

By the way any comments saying "that would never happen you twit" etc :p will be disregarded. This thread isn't about how likely the above is. Simple what you would do if it ever did happen. Reading back on this, I'm not sure if anyone would have the time to read it. Oh well, if you did, have a free sweetie :)

Myself, I probably would live in the Utopia. I'm all for big brother!

Comments

• Options
    Re: Hypothetical, futuristic situation
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Myself, I probably would live in the Utopia. I'm all for big brother!

:yes: me too!

i read it, do i get a sweetie? :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Hypothetical, futuristic situation
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    :yes: me too!

i read it, do i get a sweetie? :D

kiss.gif you get a candy kiss! lol :p
  • Options
    Someone's been reading 1984 methinks? And what's that other book, damn, it's on the tip of my tongue.
    The thing is, who is watching the watchers? And you'd need so many watchers that it would be impractical. Wouldn't happen anyway.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Hmm, I think the Utopia. If you have nothing to hide then I'd rather live in heaven on Earth, instead of Hell on Earth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Someone's been reading 1984 methinks? And what's that other book, damn, it's on the tip of my tongue.
    The thing is, who is watching the watchers? And you'd need so many watchers that it would be impractical. Wouldn't happen anyway.

Mr_Wobble ;)

nope. I was thinkin about that online game though, forgot what it's called... you make your own countries, and can make them communist and whatnot?? :confused:

Anyone remember?
  • Options
    Hmmm, I would just like to know who would be ruling? In a communist jobbie, we wouldnt be allowed to speak out against the government, would we? I would live there, but I dont like the idea of abiding by all rules.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Hypothetical, futuristic situation
    kiss.gif you get a candy kiss! lol :p

:blush: merci. :)
  • Options
    nope. I was thinkin about that online game though, forgot what it's called... you make your own countries, and can make them communist and whatnot?? :confused:

Anyone remember?

Nationstates.

Anyway. Yes. I would live in the utopian paradise thanks.

Or. I'd be one of the watchers. Coolness.
  • Options
    This is really only 5 years down the track: Who wants to live in Utopic America with Dubya Big Brother, or the rest of the shitty world that they're trying to bomb back to the Stone Age.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    And what's that other book, damn, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Brave New World perhaps?

And yes, I think I'd go for the utopia.
  • Options
    i chose hell years ago ...you fools are already in the utopia ...
  • Options
    don't worry by the way ...people like me are watching the watchers ...we have to ...if we can't convince them we confuse them.

don't tell the watchers but ...everytime i fill a form in wether it be on paper or screen ...i make sure i fill it in slightly different . radical or what!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    don't tell the watchers but ...everytime i fill a form in wether it be on paper or screen ...i make sure i fill it in slightly different . radical or what!

Lol! That made me burst out laughing Mr Roll heheh.

And Mist, it was Nationstates, thanks :) I might get the book. Afterall it was a mighty grand game weren't it? :D
  • Options
    I suppose it would depend on what else there was, what the alternative was.

I am surprised how many of you would give away all personal freedom though, would it not be a tad disturbing having sex, going to the loo etc?
  • Options
    I reckon i'd try to beat the systme somehow,
    I'd try the Eutopia to the limits but prob get kicked out for mass orgies and drinking or something,

I reckon I would be such an intersting person to watch,

When I was smaller I believed that god had a video tape of your whole life and he would watch all of it reviewing wheter or not you got into heaven. Would love a video of everything ive ever done in my life!And in esseence thats what it'd be!
  • Options
    sounds like 1984.
    if tehy watch me and try to take my freedom away due to ;social control' wlel hell, im not gunna live like that.
    Freedom means a lot to me.
    so what if its slightly shitty away from thsi 'haven' ?
    Its not any kind of good palce if you have to conform to what society wants.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    sounds like 1984.
    if tehy watch me and try to take my freedom away due to ;social control' wlel hell, im not gunna live like that.
    Freedom means a lot to me.
    so what if its slightly shitty away from thsi 'haven' ?
    Its not any kind of good palce if you have to conform to what society wants.

Sounds like what thier doing now with the thingy ID cards
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    Sounds like what thier doing now with the thingy ID cards
    quite,
    they are soooooo rude
    i feel like shooting them down bloody politicians
    DIIIIIIIIIE
    *ahem*
  • Options
    don't worry by the way ...people like me are watching the watchers ...we have to ...if we can't convince them we confuse them.

Is this just a ploy or something roll? Your posts recently have a very paranoid undertone to them... You really do think there is some huge conspiracy going on, don't you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Your posts recently have a very paranoid undertone to them... You really do think there is some huge conspiracy going on, don't you?
    there is ...my shrink agrees with me ...
  • Options
    there is ...my shrink agrees with me ...

I can just imagine you sending a psychiatrist insane Mr Roll... how queer :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    And there's my proof!! Who else talks to a kitchen sink?
    me and you could end up sharing a padded cell mate!it'll be fun ...i'll get some extra medication sent in ...