Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Compressing files ??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I have a couple of films on my hardrive which I am wanting to put onto disc but the files are too big. Can I compress the file to fit and if so how ?
I am using Nero 5.

If you do know can you tell me in simple terms because I get all confuffled very easy :D

Comments

• Options
    How big are the files now? and in what format?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    How big are the files now? and in what format?

They are AVI clip and sizes are 725, 827 and 740,083.

Its just 2 movies i downloaded.
  • Options
    this is the program i use to split .avis to size

http://www.brizsoft.com/avisplit/

It's quite easy to use,

avisplit_s2.gif

HTH,

Simon.
  • Options
    oh, If you want to *compress* then you have to re-encode the file into a new format, but chances are the person who encoded the movie you downloaded will have made as small as he can..

If you re-encode using different codecs then you'll most likely loose quality, I'd just split them into smaller files and put them onto seperate CD's

having said that the 725 and 740mb AVI's *should* fit on a 700mb CD-R by "finalising" the disk , if it's possible nero will ask you if you want to , if not it'll just refuse to burn.
  • Options
    *Gives Noogie a big sloppy kiss* :lol:

Thank you, I owe you one :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    having said that the 725 and 740mb AVI's *should* fit on a 700mb CD-R by "finalising" the disk , if it's possible nero will ask you if you want to , if not it'll just refuse to burn.

It just says there is not enough space, so cant get anywhere.

Thanks very much for the help, im gonna try and see if i can do it.

cheers :D
  • Options
    give splitting a go, it'll work a treat. also If you have a dvd player that plays VideoCD you can burn it so that it's playable on a telly

goodluck with it

Simon.
  • Options
    Bink from RAD Video Tools can resize video files. It's comprehensive, but there's a lot of options and settings to choose from.
    Moviejack 3 can convert from one format to another, and gives you the option of setting resolution, etc, while doing so.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    the silly woman ...i've already told her everything i don't know, will she listen ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the silly woman ...i've already told her everything i don't know, will she listen ...

lol that was after i got this advice ;)

but I still aint managed to sort it, so im giving it up as a bad job. It now says there is no sound or sommat :(
  • Options
    Make sure overburn is enabled in nero, normally you can get an extra couple of minutes on top of an 80 min cd, if you can't fit it on that then buy 99 min cds, they're naturally more expensive than 74/80 min cds but hold 870mb of data which should be more than enough for your needs.
  • Options
    was going to suggest the big dock off cd's but appears I have been beaten. Sometimes though nero doesnt recognise they that huge if thats the case let me know and i will tell you how to get round it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help so far.
    Now today I have bought the following :

Recordable DVD-R video C.D's. 120 Min (single sided). they are made by maxell and I dont know if it helps but they were priced at £9.99 for 5.
    Now are these the ones I need to use ? I dont fancy opening the packaging to find that they are no good, I know some recordable discs like this are just if you have a DVD player in your comp, but with these being for 120 min Im hoping they are gonna be ok.

Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    Erm, I think you'll find that DVD-R disks are for use in DVD-R & DVD-RW drives, not CDRW drives.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Erm, I think you'll find that DVD-R disks are for use in DVD-R & DVD-RW drives, not CDRW drives.

Mr_Wobble ;)

lol thats what i was thinking, hence the reason of asking :lol:

looks like I goosed up again :D

You know when I mucked about with them films, well i mucked about too much and now they are stuffed :(
    So Ive had to delete them and now having to download them again :mad:
  • Options
    Doh! You know you should've made a copy of the file before buggering about with it. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Doh! You know you should've made a copy of the file before buggering about with it. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)

Well why the hell didnt you tell me that earlier :eek:

You fellas must think im a bloody mind reader or sommat :p