Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NITS.....eugh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is most probably the wrong forum and I presume it shall get moved to health which is fine, but whilst its here people will get this tip I have to stop nits. I know we have some members still at school and some members have children themselves so heres a simple method to prevent nits.

What you need to use is concentrated Tea Tree Oil. When you are washing your hair , before you put the shampoo on add just 2/3 drops of pure Tea Tree Oil onto the palm of your hand with the shampoo and mix them up, then wash your hair as normal. This is the only method I have found which actually works.
My Daughter is 8 and she has never caught nits from school, even though they do have many occasions where they reckon nits are in school.
A bottle of this stuff costs about £2-£3 and lasts for ages.

So anyway have you any tips for anything else which may be beneficial to others?

Comments

• Options
    ooooh thankya!

i'm dreading my littl'un bringing them home...makes me itch just thinking about them :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by candy
    ooooh thankya!

i'm dreading my littl'un bringing them home...makes me itch just thinking about them :nervous:

lol they are horrible. She had them once when she was at playgroup and someone told me about tea tree oil and she has never had them since.
  • Options
    *throws up*:p god becks
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    *throws up*:p god becks

LOL Sorry :lol:

Hey just think in 10 yrs time when you have a lickle Kirsty you will be saying "ah thank you Becks for that advice" :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    LOL Sorry :lol:

Hey just think in 10 yrs time when you have a lickle Kirsty you will be saying "ah thank you Becks for that advice" :D

I will never ever have children.never ever.thanks anyway:p
  • Options
    Tea tree is good for spots too
  • Options
    less of a prevention, but a diagnosis method:

leave a little bit of conditioner in your hair and get someone else (usually mum :p) to comb through your hair with a nit comb (like a normal comb, with smaller teeth), pulling the hair away from the scalp (not painfully though!) and looking for white little eggs attatched to the roots. if you see any, then they're infected. If you don't, then woo :)

That's all I know :(
  • Options
    Nope all i know is buy nit shampoo stuff, and erghhh! :yuck: nits! :D
  • Options
    strategy i developed myself when i was 8 actually

Nits prefer clean hair, so I just decided I would remove this incentive. As such, I did not wash my hair. Worked a treat for me :p

Whenever there is a something going around, I find the best solution is not to wash :p So when I smell like rotten fish, it's me saving my health, not being unhygienic!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Whenever there is a something going around, I find the best solution is not to wash :p So when I smell like rotten fish, it's me saving my health, not being unhygienic!

ewwwwww!!!!!!! lol.
  • Options
    I am allergic to tea tree oil :( Wonder if it's hereditary?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    That's all I know :(

Apparently if you use conditioner reguarly it also makes it hard for the eggs to kind of catch on, your hair is much smoother so they cant grip on....or something like that :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Tea tree is good for spots too

ooooo so u can smoother your kids hair, and rub it into her face, and she wont get nits or spots.!! result! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pussy_palace
    ooooo so u can smoother your kids hair, and rub it into her face, and she wont get nits or spots.!! result! lol.

lmao :lol::lol: