Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How many people still use Teletext?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We used to use it all the time for looking for cheap holidays, my mum would decide where she wants to go and spend ages writing down details as the offer whizzed by.

Now we use the internet and holiday websites for bookings.

I think the only thing I look up on teletext is TV guide but mostly use Sky TV's guide 99% of the time.

I used to read horoscopes on teletext years ago, now never even bother!!

Comments

• Options
    My Grandad does.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    i use it all the time, specially for the 'on now and next' thingy. the football and rugby news is great while the ads are on too :yes:
  • Options
    Dont use it much now than i used to. Tend to use the Tv guide alot. If I'm going to use it I am going to be using it for pg606(beeb) or pg120 for the Now and Next pages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    My Grandad does.

Aahhhh bless his little cotton socks!! :D

Why don't you get him connected on the internet??

I introduced my uncle who was in his 70's before he died to the internet and he totally loved it, he wrote his life story in word and then we put it on the internet on my spare webspace and we put a little counter on it and we'd seen how many peopl ehad been to the website .. he toally loved the concept that people from all over the world were reading his work. It's shame that was about three or four years ago though before ADSL broadband took off otherwise I'm sure he'd have used the internet to it fullest extent without worrying about the cost.
  • Options
    My dad uses the skytext sometimes, when he wants to find out the weather. I used to use the TV guide but just use the sky thing now. Ive got so lazy.
  • Options
    I do when Im too lazy to walk to the kitchen to get the paper to see whats on the telly :D

I use it to read the local news too.
  • Options
    I'll use it for checking TV times if I have a telly with Teletext. However, all my TV's have been oldies without it, or the remote control has been so dodgy that it's been a pain to use, so I haven't used it often.
    I'm supposed to have a program with my PC's TV card that can let me view Teletext, but it only seems to produce gibberish. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I'll use it for checking TV times if I have a telly with Teletext. However, all my TV's have been oldies without it, or the remote control has been so dodgy that it's been a pain to use, so I haven't used it often.
    I'm supposed to have a program with my PC's TV card that can let me view Teletext, but it only seems to produce gibberish. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)

Which make/model TV Card do you have?

I have a Happuage TV card and last tim I tried it worked reall well as it stores all the pages in the memory
  • Options
    I read a few things on there. When I have no internet, there is a section on C4 which has a gaming and music section, and I read that now and again.
  • Options
    i do :wave:
  • Options
    Yah. I often use the now and next thingies and occasionally check page 101 on ceefax for news before bed when i want to fall asleep. yarr.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Which make/model TV Card do you have?

I have a Happuage TV card and last tim I tried it worked reall well as it stores all the pages in the memory
    Damn you and your perfectly working hardware! :(

I have an Avermedia TV Studio card, with FM radio built in, and remote control. The only glitches I have with it are the aforementioned Teletext not functioning properly, and the fact that when I come back from full screen mode it has resized all my programs windows to 640x480, making me have to resize and maximise them all again.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    i occasionally wrote into chatterbox n backchat on bbc pages. i also use now and next and read the soap updates.
  • Options
    I read the entertainment news, music section and sometimes news and sport on Ceefax. On Teletext on C4 I read their music section which beats the hell out of BBC's effort.

Teletext on ITV is just crap!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i occasionally wrote into chatterbox n backchat on bbc pages. i also use now and next and read the soap updates.

OMG hoe could I forget them?! I used to read them, but backchat is loads of Busted/Blue fans called kayleigh etc saying how they cant get a boyfriend and stuff.

Oh, and for all you nerds- c4 p382. I mean the nerdiest of the nerds. Im talking Star Wars/Matrix references and everything. But with no forums, its good enough
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Oh, and for all you nerds- c4 p382. I mean the nerdiest of the nerds. Im talking Star Wars/Matrix references and everything. But with no forums, its good enough

Isn't that the Mega Zine thing? I used to love that for it's utter weirdness then all the cool people stopped writing in and I got so bored with it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Isn't that the Mega Zine thing? I used to love that for it's utter weirdness then all the cool people stopped writing in and I got so bored with it!

:yes: I still read though. Had a feeling you might too. :p
  • Options
    :yes: I still read though. Had a feeling you might too. :p

Damn, is it that obvious?! :p

Everyone should at least know of it, it's an institution. Methinks I may have to get back into it...
  • Options
    Yes, I use it.

Good old 606.
  • Options
    I read a few things on there. When I have no internet, there is a section on C4 which has a gaming and music section, and I read that now and again.

yea i read that aswell, i think teletext s the quickest most accessible way to information, others take too long
  • Options
    Re: How many people still use Teletext?

the only thing I look up on teletext is TV guide
  • Options
    Re: Re: How many people still use Teletext?
    Originally posted by fugue
    the only thing I look up on teletext is TV guide

I didn't know you had it over in Australia, don't think there's a similar system in the USA.
  • Options
    I quite like the quiz game on Channel Fours effort. Puzzler or something I think its called.

I'm also a big fan of the information you get about all the shows on cable at the bottom of the screen, but thats not quite the same.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Use it for sports score's, weather and TV.

I prefer to Use BBCi and interactive digital teletext now I've got freeview in my room.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    when im at home i use it all the time but at uni our tv doesnt have teletext so i cant use it. funneh that :rolleyes: :p

sorry ... in a sarcy mood
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Damn you and your perfectly working hardware! :(

I have an Avermedia TV Studio card, with FM radio built in, and remote control. The only glitches I have with it are the aforementioned Teletext not functioning properly, and the fact that when I come back from full screen mode it has resized all my programs windows to 640x480, making me have to resize and maximise them all again.

Mr_Wobble ;)

have a leadtech one and the teletext works really well on it. :p

But I only really use teletext for checking tv times, footy scores and cinmea times, although wap on my phone is taking over most of them really.
  • Options
    Heh, I don't even know how to use teletext anymore.. I used to use it only to see what was on at the cinamas and what times there on etc. Now I just go to the cinama website. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I quite like the quiz game on Channel Fours effort. Puzzler or something I think its called.

I'm also a big fan of the information you get about all the shows on cable at the bottom of the screen, but thats not quite the same.

Bamboozler? I used to play that all the time, before NTL fucked it up. :o

Read Mega Zine as well, there's a yahoo group dedicated to members of the Zine called Vegetable Revolution. Dunno if it's still running or not, haven't been there in about a year. :p
  • Options
    Bamboozle is great... yeah, I still use teletext when adverts come on.
  • Options
    Is Bamboozle still going? I used to play that all the time :D

I use it for the Now and Next thingy and the TV guide (cos I'm too much of a cheap skate to buy a tv guide) but my teletext only works on channel 3 - the other channels aren't tuned in enough to get it!