Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Initate legal proceedings?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got punched a couple of times in a club on Saturday night.

Whilst my mates and the bouncers were helping clean me up the police came, and took a brief statement.

The cop is phoning me back tomorrow night to see if i want to press charges on the guy (they reckon they can find him from CCTV etc)

What would you do?

I am kind of in the mind that it is not really worth the hassle. (i'm ok with no serious damge)

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    What if this guy has a habit of punching people? And maybe next time he really hurt someone?

I say go for it.
  • Options
    Hmmm, a bit of a tough one if you ask me. Yes they deserve what they get, but is it worth the potencial hassle.

Are these people local to you do you know? If there is a chance that your going to bump into them soon I wouldnt, you might end up getting into more trouble.
  • Options
    you can sue for criminal compensation, but you only get it if your injury is worth £1,000.00 or more, so say its only worth £700, youd get nowt, and seein as it was just a punch, im guessin it wont be worth that much!
    So, i dont think id bother, whats the point?
    hed prob just get a warning or somethin and then you got the risk of all his mates comin after u!
  • Options
    Re: Initate legal proceedings?
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    What would you do?

Press charges.
  • Options
    In quite a few countries you dont get the choice. In Canada for example if the assalt happened in public, i.e a pub fight, then it is classed as a crime against the state too.
  • Options
    I don't care about money or anything, and I am not worried about his mates coming to get me or anything of that nature either.

NinjaMaster, do you think that the kind of sentence the guy could get would stop him doing something similar again?

What if the hearing was scheduled for the same date as one of my exams or a coursework deadline etc. That would seriously piss me off...........
  • Options
    you need to talk to the police and find out how long it will all take, what he's likely to get etc. find out the wholse procedure ad how involved you will be and then you will be able to decide.
  • Options
    yeah good point.

Anyone on here know much about legal proceedings etc?

I have zero experience of dealing with the law etc.
  • Options
    NinjaMaster, do you think that the kind of sentence the guy could get would stop him doing something similar again?

Maybe? Who knows how the mind of the muppet works. If he's hell bent on smacking people for no reason then nothing will probably stop him until he gets sent to jail and becomes someones bitch.
  • Options
    Anyone on here know much about legal proceedings etc?

I have zero experience of dealing with the law etc.

Itd just be a magistrates appearance in all likelihood, theyll arrest the man, charge him, ibterview him and put him in court the next morning. The only oproblem would be if he decided he wanted a Crown Court trial, but any defence solicitor worth their salt would tell them to stay in the magistrates court because the sentence would be less.

A fine would be the most likely punishment, IMHO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by tittletattle
    you can sue for criminal compensation, but you only get it if your injury is worth £1,000.00 or more, so say its only worth £700, youd get nowt, and seein as it was just a punch, im guessin it wont be worth that much!

True, but he could sue in the civil law for battery, and he would receive damages straight from the man who punched him.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I shall tell you mt decision when I have made it.......