Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Use vs Abuse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just thought I'd ask ... what in people's opinion, is the difference between USING drugs and ABUSING drugs (and no jokes about beating your drugs up or flushing them down the loo!)

Do you think drug abuse is when you are addicted and physically feel like you can't stop taking them (if so, that makes nicotine smokers drug abusers)?

Or maybe it's when you are doing damage / upsetting those around you?

Comments

• Options
    Drug use is moderate use of any certain drug.

Drug abuse is abuse of any certain drug, like you think you can't live without the drug, that all you think about is getting your next hit,whatever you want to call it.
  • Options
    I guess strictly, abuse is maybe what Shogun defines it as, but my definition is when the drug starts to cause u severe and noticable problems, starts having adverse effects that make the high not worth it. Doing too much at once.
  • Options
    starts having adverse effects that make the high not worth it.

true.
  • Options
    So, in that case, do you think that someone who is throwing up after a tinsy-winsy bit too much alcohol is drug abusing at that time? Is he/she a drug abuser? Or does it have to be more long term than, say, once/twice a month?
  • Options
    Yeah id say more than once or twice a month, id say a regualar basis, but strictly if a person is using alcohol to the point where they are sick, they have abused it that night.

in my opinion.
  • Options
    I'd say it was very subjective, but in the main it is when the negatives outweigh the positives. I mean some people just accept that nasty comedowns are worth it, but I cant handle them that often.