Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnant / Morn after pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this...

On monday (this week) my boyfriend came over and we ended up doing 'stuff', and he was down there but didn't actually come, or penetrate me. But all through school we were told horror stories of getting pregnant without having sex... and I decided to toddle off to get the morning after pill - just incase.

24 hours later, I get the pill and take the first one, then exactly 12hrs later I take the next one. All good, didn't throw up.

A few hours after the 2nd pill I started feeling sick, and the sickness lasted until yesterday. I also had headaches, and have been absolutley starving for 2, ish days.

My period is due around the 10th of this month... the doctor said I'd get it on time, but I haven't had any of the warning signs that I'm about to come on.

Is there any chance that the morning after pill will make me late.. or could I actually be pregnant despite taking the morning after pill (it's only around 90% effective apparently)

Comments

• Options
    id say that you probably took the morning after pill completely unnecesarily, as if he didnt penetrate you or come, then you are unlikely to have been pregnant. Its a bad idea to get your sex education from the playground.
  • Options
    Well i say its better to be safe than sorry. What if he had gotten pre cum on his hands and then figered her? Could happen.
  • Options
    I agree with Zella, much better to be safe than sorry. But you shouldn't just use it as a precaution AFTER not protecting when you're... well, if not having sex, at least naked together. Just be more careful about it!

Regarding your qn... I've never taken the MAP but it's an extremely strong dose of hormones so it's bound to screw up your body a bit... don't worry :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    id say that you probably took the morning after pill completely unnecesarily, as if he didnt penetrate you or come, then you are unlikely to have been pregnant. Its a bad idea to get your sex education from the playground.

I know I took it almost unnecesserily, but I was just being paranoid :blush: Even though I took the morn after pill, I'm still so paranoid I'm pregnant!

Scary thing is, those horror stories came from our teachers :eek:

Has anyone actually taken the morn after pill before? If so, what side effects did you get and how long did they last?
  • Options
    When i first took it i was i'll for about two days after. i was just feeling sick all the time, and then i had a really painful period when i was due to come on, but since i'd only been having periods for about 10 months i wasnt very regular.But apart from that i had nothing that i remember, so it cant of been that bad.
    I took it again recently, well about a two weeks ago, and ive just felt like shit ever since. But then again i think im pregnant so i just put it down to that really. Dout ive helped much sorry. Didnt know what else to say really. hope ive make i small difference anyway.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    and then i had a really painful period when i was due to come on

So I should come on a normal? I took the pill about 2 weeks before I was due on... I'm due around the 16th.
  • Options
    The map can make you a few days late, but you'll be fine dont worry bout it. your chances of better pragnant are very small.
  • Options
    The morning after pill can make you feel ill and can delay your period or make it come sooner.

However, both times I took it I suffered no ill effects and my period was on time the second time (The first I got pregnant anyway so trust me the morning after pill doesn't always work)

I think you need to re-read the booklet that comes with the morning after pill, ask more questions when you go to get it, sort out some method of contraception for the future, buy a book on Sex Education.

If you are still worried do a pregnancy test.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    The morning after pill can make you feel ill and can delay your period or make it come sooner.

However, both times I took it I suffered no ill effects and my period was on time the second time (The first I got pregnant anyway so trust me the morning after pill doesn't always work)

I think you need to re-read the booklet that comes with the morning after pill, ask more questions when you go to get it, sort out some method of contraception for the future, buy a book on Sex Education.

If you are still worried do a pregnancy test.

Booklet? .... shite bugger crap. I chucked it away without even reading it. My friend who I went to get it with said he'd get rid of the box for me so my mum didn't find it... and we just chucked it in a bin in town. Bugger.

I think I should get my period on time, because its about 7 days time and I keep getting 2-3 second period pains, which I sometimes get before I come on :) The doc also said I should come on as normal. Still scared though :blush:
  • Options
    JESUS!!!

Why are you taking medication without reading about what it can do to you!!

Surely you must have read it to know what times to take it etc!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    JESUS!!!

Why are you taking medication without reading about what it can do to you!!

Surely you must have read it to know what times to take it etc!!:rolleyes:

The doc and pharmacist just told me to take it 12 hours apart and that... and any side effects i could have, and told me if I was sick I'd have to come back for another box. I never thought to read the bloody leaflet *hits self in head*
  • Options
    advice
  • Options
    Thought I should provide a bit of info to clear up the confusion. It is highly unlikely that you will become pregnant without penetration, however in very very few circumstances can it result in pregnancy. You should only really take the MAP in cases where you have really put yourself at risk.

We have a feature on the morning-after pill
    here. The fpa say this about how it affects your period:

How will emergency pills affect my period?
    Your period may come earlier than expected or it may be up to a week late. Mostly, it comes within a few days of when you would expect it. You may experience some irregular bleeding between taking the emergency pills and getting your next period. This can range from spotting to being quite heavy.

See here for their full factsheet on emergency contraception.

Hope this helps. If you need to talk to someone about a regular method of contraception, visit your GP - or contact the following:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

:)