Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I might have this. I have to do little rituals otherwise I think something bad will happen. For example, making sure that when a toilet roll is finished there is no paper on the roll and there is a new roll there and it has to be neat otherwise I think something really bad will happen. Also when I send a text even if I'm having an argument with someone I have to put a big X then a little x at the end or i get worried. Also when I get a new boyfriend I don't want to tell my mum cos I think that it will all go wrong if I tell her. I know this sounds so stupid but I get so worried if I don't do my rituals...

I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    If its any consolation I think most of us have little things we do and little quirks that would seem silly to other people. Do you really believe somethign bad would happen if you dont do them, or do you just feel compelled to do them?
    I think the things youve said sound live-able with, but if compulsions get out of hand and stop you being able to live a normal life, then it can be a problem.
  • Options
    Yer I know what you mean. I have to wash my hands when they're greasy until there's no oil on them at all. Otherwise it just doesnt feel right. Also I do too much cleaning. Like, if somewheres dirty, like even in college, outside or something, I'll clean it up! On the otherside though, my bedroom's a tip :p
  • Options
    I have little things like this, if I dont walk on so many cracks in the street something will happen, if i dont take the first piece of the toilet roll off before I use it, something bad will happen....the list goes on! I find it amusing to myself. I used to blink my eye lots too and little movements of my body for a set number of times a day, i concentrated hard on not doing it and it worked after time. If u cant solve it down let it bring you down! Easier said than done though.
  • Options
    *deleted image
  • Options
    I think that I may have a bit of OCD, but more of the obsessive part then the compulsive part. I'm more obsessive about things then anything else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    if i dont take the first piece of the toilet roll off before I use it, something bad will happen

i do that, but its because i don't like the idea of someones grimey hands touching the paper im about to use.
  • Options
    MIND's leaflet on OCD

There's a fine line between superstition and obsession, have a look through the leaflet and see how much of it rings a bell.

Though be careful never to self-diagnose, if you're worried go and talk to your GP.
  • Options
    Heh, I do a lot of weird things, but they're not as bad as they used to be. Whenever i do something with my right foot, i have to do it with my left foot too, and same for my hands, or knees, or elbows. But as I said, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i do that, but its because i don't like the idea of someones grimey hands touching the paper im about to use.
    Mine started off like that :yes: but now I do it at home, my families houses and friends. It's everywhere I go!
  • Options
    Mine started off like that :yes: but now I do it at home, my families houses and friends. It's everywhere I go!

maybe your a super clean person. like monica in friends! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pussy_palace
    maybe your a super clean person. like monica in friends! lol.
    Go take a look at my bedroom :shocking: you may change your mind :D
  • Options
    Go take a look at my bedroom :shocking: you may change your mind :D

that an invite!? lol.
  • Options
    ok i just read what i put and it sooooooo wasnt meant to sound dodgy.however it did. but un-intended dodgyness.
  • Options
    ok i just read what i put and it sooooooo wasnt meant to sound dodgy.however it did. but un-intended dodgyness.
    Damn. I thought I was getting lucky then :(
  • Options
    As rainbow brite said, everybody has little quirks like that, but it's when they get out of control, and become numerous, and starte affecting your life (and those around you), that it becomes a problem.

An ex of mine had OCD. The thing is, she neglected to tell me, and hid it up, until we had been living together for about six weeks and little things she did, or didn't do for that matter, were driving me nuts. They affected many things she did, and would cause stupid little arguments, which built up over time.
    If she had only told me before we decided to live together I would've had a chance to find out more about OCD, and might have been more tolerant of what seemed to be utter craziness to me. Maybe that might have helped our relationship.
    I still don't fully understand it. I don't understand how anybody having to do something a certain number of times, or leaving something in a particular position, can be so important, or how they think that something bad will happen. :confused:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    The Mental Health Foundation have a useful factsheet about OCD here.
  • Options
    You find a lot of speed users get this all the time, I was so ingrained into a set of rituals, I got up a certain way, crossed the road in exactly the same places and the timing of my doses was down to the minute.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kermit
    MIND's leaflet on OCD

There's a fine line between superstition and obsession, have a look through the leaflet and see how much of it rings a bell.

Though be careful never to self-diagnose, if you're worried go and talk to your GP.

:yes: when i was quite ill before i went to a psychiatrist and he ended up saying that i have an obsessive personality but not OCD. if i wasnt careful then it could develop. there is a fine line but i think you should only start to worry if these little obsessions start to take over your life.
  • Options
    Damn. I thought I was getting lucky then :(

lol awww you know i meant it really lol.
  • Options
    lol awww you know i meant it really lol.
    :hyper:
  • Options
    :hyper:

lol.bless.
  • Options
    lol.bless.
    how did u know i just sneezed?
  • Options
    how did u know i just sneezed?

cos i know everything.tissue??
  • Options
    cos i know everything.tissue??
    oooh how thoughtful :D thank ya ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You find a lot of speed users get this all the time, I was so ingrained into a set of rituals, I got up a certain way, crossed the road in exactly the same places and the timing of my doses was down to the minute.
    oh god i used to get it terribly when i was on speed. Id pull my hair out squeeze non existant spots. it was actally a complete nightmare, but thats speed for you.
  • Options
    oooh how thoughtful :D thank ya ;)

welcome. ;)
  • Options
    Hello, i know Im new and all, but i just wanted to point something out.

My sister has OCD, and it's a lot more that just having a few rituals. It's a disabling disease that takes over your life. She has been in hospital before because she just can't deal with the level of anxiety involved in it.

A lot of people diagnose themselves with all sorts, but the fact is that most people are a little bit quirky. That's what makes us all unique.