Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's The Most Money You'd Give Away for Free?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If someone asked to borrow money off of you, what's the limit you'd expect or indeed not want to be paid back??

For instance a long time ago a girl I worked with needed 2p extra to get a coffee from the vending machine ... the very next day she gave me 2p back ... I was quite taken a-back and a bit insulted TBH... It's not like 2p would be missed by me or anything!!

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the person, if i didn't trust them then bugger all.
  • Options
    I don't tend to lend out more than a couple of pounds, but now at uni i just tell the guy/girl to buy me a pint next time we're in the bar.

I'd only lend out more to people I really, really trust...
  • Options
    It depends on the person and for what,

Like if one of my good mates of family needed money and I had it to spare I'd trust them with it all. Like I dont think anything of lending out a €100 here or there when I know I'll get it back.

Much more to life than money!
    Some people just dont realise- sad really!
  • Options
    Depends on the person, if it was more than about £3 I'd expect to be paid back.

A girl at my work experience lent me some money to buy a drink from Tesco's even though she was broke, 'cause I said I didn't like tea or coffee, and she tried to refuse the money the day after when I tried to pay her back (I made her take it though). I don't like taking money from people - specially if I can't pay them back, it makes me feel cheap.
  • Options
    Like Tweety, depends on the person. It depends how much money I've got with me as well - if I'm low on change I'd rather they paid me back, even if it wasn't that much. Just because I prefer to have lots of change.

But yes, 2p is a bit on the ridiculous side :eek2:

Oh, and I noticed something was missing... ;)
  • Options
    It all depends on who. I'd give my good friends a $20 if they needed it. People I don't know that well I'd probably only give them a few dollars. Enough to buy like a pop or something :p
  • Options
    The Bank of Bri doesn't do loans anymore.

When we were out for my birthday, one of my mates forgot is wallet until it was too late. So we all subbed him for the night, but he's obviously got no intention of paying it back. That pissed me off.

But it's funny, I'm too soft not to give money to beggars :eek2:
  • Options
    I've lent my friends as much as £20 before to tide them over for the weekend and they pay me back so I don't really have problems with lending them money so long as I trust them. Anything over a fiver I'd expect to be paid back to me, so it's basically just change I'd give away.

In school, however, it's a totally different matter. I hardly ever lend anyone money ever or expect to be lent money! For some reason the value of small change sky rockets in school when normally you'd think nothing of it!
  • Options
    What is it they say? - Only lend money you can afford not to get back.
    It depends on the person for me too, although I really hate doing it. Mainly because I tend to feel awkward about asking for it back - y'know some people look at you like you're being really petty, depending upon the amount. Immediate family, close friends, yeah. Everyone else - probably not. Unless it was like 10p or something. I wouldn't randomly ask to borrow money. I don't see how some people have the nerve in a lot of cases. Fair enough if they've forgotten their wallet, genuine mistakes and stuff, but otherwise no chance.
  • Options
    about 50p
  • Options
    I've lent a mate £20 once...and i still aint got it back but it dont matter...:) if i know them well ill give/lend it to them..
  • Options
    Re: What's The Most Money You'd Give Away for Free?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    If someone asked to borrow money off of you, what's the limit you'd expect or indeed not want to be paid back??

For instance a long time ago a girl I worked with needed 2p extra to get a coffee from the vending machine ... the very next day she gave me 2p back ... I was quite taken a-back and a bit insulted TBH... It's not like 2p would be missed by me or anything!!
    a bible proverb comes to mind ....
    he who is faithful in the little things is faithful in all things.
  • Options
    Im always lending people few pound here and there, most ive ever lend someone was £50, and i got it back the next time they got paid.
  • Options
    I lent my boyfriend £420, but it's money i'm not allowed to use anyway, so it's not like I actually miss it, it just means it's somewhere else rather than in my bank.