Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gay Marriage (again I know but this can include newbies aswell)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm doing a project in my AS level English Language and Literature on gay marriage. So could I have peoples opinions and any information you are able to give me please? Thanx in advance.:)

Comments

• Options
    If they want to get married then why not ? If they are happy and want to settle down together then go for it.
    I have no problem with gay people or gay marriages :)
  • Options
    Im not TRYING to be annoying, but why don't you just do a search and use what everyone said in the other posts on the same topic?
  • Options
    Because, if you read the title, you will see that it says I want newbies opinions so if you have a problem with this post then ignore it, ok? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No, it was a suggestion. I wasn't complaining about this post, just suggesting you could use the other one. :)
  • Options
    i think gays should be treated the same as straight couples
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Totally. Gay people are no different from you and me other than they fancy people of their own sex. If they want to get married then why not? I think it's pathetic that people are debating over it. If they're in love and they want to get married, what's so different about it than a straight couple?

Totally off topic, but I think gay men are great lol :p
  • Options
    let them be, if their happy im happy, as long as i can be maid of honour
  • Options
    Some people object to it being a religious ceremony. (From a Christian p.o.v., see Romans 1 and Leviticus 18:22, and if you don't have a Bible you can look here).

There have been huge amounts of rows over the Canadian church's decision to allow gay marriage (see Guardian Unlimited - Special Reports: Gay Rights), as with gay clergy.

Of course, for my money, I haven't really got an issue with it. I'm gay and a Christian and sometimes I really struggle to reconcile the two. However in general I don't think that being gay is sinful. I don't think that gay relationships (physical or celibate) are sinful, therefore I think that gay people have as much right to celebrate the fact that God has brought them together as straight people.

But that's just my opinion and I'm not sure how many Christians you could find who agree with me.

Take care - PM me if I have made no sense!

Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Some people object to it being a religious ceremony. (From a Christian p.o.v., see Romans 1 and Leviticus 18:22, and if you don't have a Bible you can look here).
    1 Corinthians 6

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

I'm not arguing just pointing out that under the bible 'homosexual offenders' will not go to heaven or whatever so how can god have dun it? :confused:
  • Options
    Yesyes, they can do what they like, I don't care, they should be allowed.

But I do think it should, in general, be harder to get married. For everyone. Because it's too easy and simple and people should be made to think for longer and harder and get their money lovely and safe before doing so.
    Harder for all!
  • Options
    i dont know why anyone would want to get married, but if gay people want to, then let em.
  • Options
    Whilst the sex and race discrimination acts don't seem to apply to religious establishments I'd say that it's disgusting not to give the right to marriage to single sex couples.

The Bible states that all are equal in the eyes of God, right? Well i think it does. It also says we shouldn't judge so why should the church, vicars and the pope decide who is worthy of a blessing or not?

However, not all Christians are anti-gay, I certainly wasn't when i was practicing with them.

From a pagan perspective we're taught about loving people equally and there are ceremonies called 'handfasting' to join even single sex couples for a year and a day... sort of like a wedding and I think there are ones that last for your whole life.
    1 Corinthians 6

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

So only male prostitutes don't go to heaven? How convienient for a ptriarchal society.
  • Options

I couldn't agree more. So what if you love someone of the same sex, as long as your in love, right? I think, whether you are straight, gay, or bi, I don't think it should matter.

I think that we should all be treated equally, no matter whom we love or don't love.

That's just my opinion anyways.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    However, not all Christians are anti-gay, I certainly wasn't when i was practicing with them.
    I know, but it's a shame that those that are seem to be far more vocal. *sigh*
    1 Corinthians 6

I'm not arguing just pointing out that under the bible 'homosexual offenders' will not go to heaven or whatever so how can god have dun it?
    Note the use of the word "offenders". There is an issue as to what Paul means here. To go back to the OT, Sodom and Gomorrah is widely cited by anti-gay Christians to show God's "hatred" of homosexuals. However, IMO, it seems that the people of S & G were punished for rape and inhospitable behaviour and not homosexual activity. Can the same issue apply here? I don't pretend to be a Bible scholar and I concede that I have not been a Christian for long so I may be wrong.

People often quote Paul's letters when they argue against homosexuality, but others have pointed out that the Greek word that Paul uses and is translated as "homosexuals" could mean a number of other things. In this verse (1 Corin. 6:9) it can't mean male prostitutes because they have been mentioned, but there are other possible translations. So there is the question of what Paul actually said!

Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    Yep - Im all for it :)