Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your job etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many people here who work for a living actually enjoy their job ?
Do you hate your job but to support family/pay bills keep in the same employment. Would you ever quit your job to go on benefits then hopefully find another job ?

I was talking to an old friend today and they hated there job so quit and went onto benefit, hoping to get another job, unfortunately it did not work out the way they planned. Six months down the track he still has not found a job.

My hubby used to work in a factory and he hated every minuite of it but the wage was fantastic, so he went into work day in day out just so we had an ok standard of living, he would do the same again because he see's himself as the main bread winner. I at the time worked and enjoyed my job so for me that was not a problem, I do not think I have ever actually hated a job that I would quit.

What do you see yourself doing in the same situation as my friend ? Would you do any job for money ?

Comments

• Options
    If I was in a job I hated, I'd look for another job, but stay there until I was offered another one.

I'd take a pay cut for a more enjoyable job (providing I could still afford to live), but I'd not choose to quit and have no job at all.
  • Options
    i'd do whatever i had to do.
    everyones dream is to never have to work for wages ever again i would have thought. i achieved that dream but am far from lazy. i have taught myself many building skills and put those skills to use quite often for freinds, family ...people in need. such a charitable soul ...
    work for most people is a neccesity ...not a virtue.
  • Options
    I haven't worked anywhere yet i have hated totally...or actually i have..years ago i was mushroom picking(not magic mushrooms) just a job getting up at 5 in the morning, going out in the fucking freezing snowy mornings and picking mushrooms for a self obsessed man who gave us very little money.

But with the jobs i've had after that they've been fine, no complaints really, it's money ain't it?

But actually i enjoy working in my present job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'd do whatever i had to do.

Do you think the younger generation tend to do things differently ? What I mean is this friend im talking about is younger than us and he was not prepared to stick it out. He does have a wife and a baby to support, so in the same circumstances my hubby would do anything which brought the money in, regardless of wether he liked the job or not.
    Also like unemployment benefit as Ive said in other posts here my hubby refuses to go unemployed, he'd rather take a couple of part time jobs, a shitty job or basically anything rather than feel ashamed and go signing on.
    Im not saying all younger people are like this so dont lets turn this into have a shout at me session, I personally do feel that the more mature people will do anything for money to support their family compared to some younger people.
  • Options
    Just read some perspectives about this issue.

Basically it is said that today the youth is very ego-oriented, and it's all about me, me, me.
    The job should be something the individual could consider as a hobby, and isn't necessarily taken for the wage recieved.

So it woould be more likely for someone younger to just not work, than to do something he/she loathes.
  • Options
    My job sucks, but I have been looking for a career related to my degree course for over a year now and I have found nothing. My current employer is now considering taking me on as a full-time trainee (I am technically still working on a casual basis). Its got to be better than being on the dole, though.
  • Options
    Marriages are not as important, and women are having their first child later in life than before so today's generation may not need to work day and night to provide for the family. Also, people seem to stay in uni longer, not because they keep flunking, but because after they finish one thing they have found something else they wish to study.

Many kids nowadays can't either stand the thought of working at the same place throughout their whole lives. And they want their jobs to be enjoying, and they prefer things to be easy.
    Like Jacqueline said, they are ego-oriented.

The trend today is that people should enjoy their lives. Why work for shitty wages in a shitty job? Although I do believe the perspective changes a bit if it's a shitty job with superb wages. :D

I cannot imagine myself working in a place that makes me unhappy. I've got less than 100 years to live (sounds a lot now that I say it :lol: ), and since I only live once then why bother? Although if I wont work at all, I know that it will most likely make for a shittier life. ;)
  • Options
    I'd say that the job market is very youth orientated, especially with so many factories closing down and being moved to malasia or wherever's cheapest to find slaves *cough* I mean workers to work on tiny wages. At least in Wrexham most new jobs coming in to the area are in trendy bars or shops that require younger and 'cooler' workers. So if you're over 40 and unqualified I'd say it's hard to find a job in North Wales, or Wrexham at least.

My job? Well I think bar staff should be paid more for all the shit they have to put up with. The average for that area of work is £4.10-4.30 in Wrexham and some pubs can get pretty rough. Barwork isn't an easy ride either, some people are either cocky and mouthy or up their own arses and look down their nose at you... plus you're on your feet all the time and kissing ass.

Still, it's only to get me through college.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    The average for that area of work is £4.10-4.30 in Wrexham and some pubs can get pretty rough.
    You really want to count yourself lucky, before the national minimum wage came in you would be lucky to get half that. Workers in many industries were on £2.00 an hour if they were luck.
    Boy oh boy how the times have changed.......for the better like :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    You really want to count yourself lucky, before the national minimum wage came in you would be lucky to get half that. Workers in many industries were on £2.00 an hour if they were luck.
    Boy oh boy how the times have changed.......for the better like :)
    thats what i was saying in the other thread about strikes. without unions to pressure a labour government to bring in a minimum wage it would still be the same. if the tories get in ...they will scrap the minimum wage.

moonrat is right about the slaves. if you can get the same job done for ten bob an hour by foriegn slaves ...fuck the patriotism that is expected of the workers when the going gets rough.
  • Options
    Re: Your job etc
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    How many people here who work for a living actually enjoy their job ?

That would be me.

I would have to come into a HUGE amount of money before I wanted to quit. And you know what, I couldn't even tell you why...
  • Options
    Mines boring, but not really loathsome.

Anyway, you cant quit your job and go on benifit, you have to loose your job, if you leave on purpose they wont give you anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Anyway, you cant quit your job and go on benifit, you have to loose your job, if you leave on purpose they wont give you anything.

But you can on medical grounds though, which is what he did. Made himself unfit for work and got Sickness Benefit (or something like that).
  • Options
    I enjoy my job and I rarely (Almost never) have those 'I don't want to go in' days, I get annoyed about certain things but generally I love my job and I've loved all the jobs I do - perhaps I just have very low standards!!