Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

howard to be tory king?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it's looking like it. this guy will realy put the voters off surely!
he has one of those faces thats good for radio. he looks like a lech on medication. his track record in power ...especialy as home secretary surely ...is enough to help keep tony in power?

Comments

• Options
    Widdecomnbe hit the nail right on the head when she said he had "something of the night about him".

Tony Blair has apparently welcomed the challenge of Howard to be leader, I wonder why:)
  • Options
    At least he's got experience of being in power, which is more than Hague and IDS had. I think he might make a better job of it than his two predecessors.
  • Options
    Strangely enough though I don't agree with his politics, I do find it inspiring that he could be the first PM from an ethnic minority. I do hope it makes people think differently about immigrants and asylum-seekers as his father was one.
  • Options
    Strangely it's often the opposite: 2nd generation immigrants, perhaps too eager to 'become natives', often look at new arrivals with suspicion, making comparisons between "their hardworking" parents who gave everything to their adoptive country and the current "spongers" who came here "to milk our generous welfare system". :rolleyes:

I don't know if that would be the case with Howard though.

All I know is that unless he's gone through a metamorphosis, he must still be the same old hard right wing, prison-happy, free-market and poll tax supporting sinister character.

But who knows? Maybe he's done a Portillo and become a caring conservative all of the sudden...
  • Options
    You are very right my friend, I seem to recall some time ago during a row on asylum-seekers by the Tories someone pointing out the origins of Howard, Portillo, Brittain etc How soon people forget eh

I also remember overhearing a conversation between two elderly gentleman, one Jamaican, one Asian complaining about the Somalis in their area bringing things down.

Sweet irony eh! :banghead:
  • Options
    Must add just realised a Leon Brittain and a Michael Howard are playing for Swansea FC :lol:
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has the feeling that a coup d'etat has ocurred in the Tory Party?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I do find it inspiring that he could be the first PM from an ethnic minority.

Benjamin Disraeli? ;)
  • Options
    Disraeli had to convert to CofE to be allowed into parliament but that is a technicality really........

How about the majority of our monarchs, the majority have 'foreign blood'
  • Options
    Re: howard to be tory king?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it's looking like it. this guy will realy put the voters off surely!
    he has one of those faces thats good for radio. he looks like a lech on medication. his track record in power ...especialy as home secretary surely ...is enough to help keep tony in power?

even though he was a shady history he is the best man for the job, he is an excellent speaker, (eg. look at them, united in rivalry)this will surley challenge labour better than bland IDS or david davies etc, still not good enuff to win the next election though