Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

2000 or XP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, i need some advice on what to install.

im very bored and thinking of formatting my hard drive and starting again installing OS. But which one, Windows 2000 or XP Professional?

I got a IBM Thinkpad Laptop which is a PIII 500mhz, 128MB RAM, 2.5MB Graphics Card(:eek: ) and 10GB HDD. I mainly use it for Web, Music and DivX Movies (streaming from another computer), and work on a website. But its the computer that i always use so i want it to be good at everything.

Im running XP at the moment and like all the cosmetics but i reckon it slows it down quite a but, and some of my movies are a bit skippy. And i hope to be getting a DVD drive soon.

So what you reckon, stick with XP or change back to 2000 and do without all the fancyness? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I would say XP professional, but don't know all too much about the IBM computers, but I would just suggest the XP Professional.
  • Options
    Did you use 2000 on it before?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    If xp is making it sluggish, run 2000 with a theme over the top to make it look better.

tis what cosmetics are for :p

In my experience of both of them on a PIII 450, XP was faster anyway.

The fucking blue theme is ugly as hell, though. I prefer windows classic. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    is that 3.x? :p

You bloody know it isn't :yeees: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Did you use 2000 on it before?

I used 2000 on a 300mhz laptop i had before, that was alright but i didnt run much on it.

What i dont like about XP is all the processes it needs just to get going. With windows and IE running im using 142MB RAM and i reckon thats whats slowing it down the most.
  • Options
    XP on a 500mhz?! :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    XP on a 500mhz?! :no:

really?, i thought it be okay
  • Options
    you can do it but its going to be slow sluggish and not going to like it.
  • Options
    use 2000

xp takes up 128mb of ram just to run itself!!!
  • Options
    Windows 2000 would be quicker but if you had Windows Me that would be quicker still.

I took off windows 2000 on my sister's Pentium Laptop and replaced it with me and so much quicker - but your's being a PIII should run windows 2000 fine.
  • Options
    except 2000 far more stable and XP is built on top of 2000 anyway so if you want XP without the bells and whistles and the same underlying stability (well similar) then 2000 is the way to go it is FAR more stable than Win ME thats why the 9.x range was discontinued because it frankly isn't as good as the NT range.
  • Options
    Just turn off all of the teletubby style shite on XP and stick with it, there's no point in going back to 2000 as really what you're doing is taking a step back. :)
    XP kernel has been tweaked quite a great deal since 2000, standard driver support is better, Application compatibility is better, most importantly XP will be supported for some considerable time yet whereas 2000 probably won't be. I have still not justified moving back to 2000 after upgrading to XP, it seems considerably faster to me.
  • Options
    XP is the better OS but for the hardware available 2000 is the better option for all round performance.
  • Options
    I've benchmarked both OS'es with identical driver sets (with many tools, 3dmark2003 being one of the best) found XP to be have the slight edge for games, both OpenGL or Direct3d, haven't tried productivity/office benchmarking but I'd imagine they would be pretty much the same.
    That's just my observation anyway. :)
  • Options
    if you use XP make it look like 2000, XP is ugly as s*** and was modified for dumb people. 2000 Pro is the best O/S ever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Windows 2000 would be quicker but if you had Windows Me that would be quicker still.

I took off windows 2000 on my sister's Pentium Laptop and replaced it with me and so much quicker - but your's being a PIII should run windows 2000 fine.

Windows ME is a pile of crap, don't use it.
  • Options
    i prefer 98se to ME.

WinXP runs fine on my P3 500 at home (although it does have 512 mb ram).
  • Options
    W98se on a P4 2.8GHz, 640MB RAM = Smooth as peanut butter!

Mind you, this isn't my home machine. I'm not that rich! This is the work one.