Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the sun has been flaring a lot in the last week with some biggies coming off in our direction, causing electrical storms and interference. this happens now and again and doesn't usualy bother us to much. occasionaly it will knock down huge chunks of communication stuff and sattelites.
a few years back canada was hit by a biggy and loads of stuff went down.
what makes this unusual this time is the length of time it has been flaring and the size of them. right now for instance there is a huge flare heading toward the earth at five million miles an hour. so if your internet dies and your mobile stops working and your sky telly packs in ... some time tonight the full impact will hit us ...blame the sun king!
here comes the sun ...

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry... its not Armageddon!

I think the only damage so far has been to some Japanese satellite. Earth has missed the full force of the ejections.
  • Options
    Damn no Armageddon
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks

I think the only damage so far has been to some Japanese satellite. Earth has missed the full force of the ejections.
    you posted your's about the lights at exactly the same time as i posted this one ...spooky aye.
    have just been out and it is lashing it down. can't see a bloody thing and i'm in n. wales so only down the road from you ..how good is it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    you posted your's about the lights at exactly the same time as i posted this one ...spooky aye.
    have just been out and it is lashing it down. can't see a bloody thing and i'm in n. wales so only down the road from you ..how good is it?

Can't see a damn thing... partly cloudly plus liverpool lights... not good!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    that made me cry

Me too!!! (I only watched it over the weekend; bought the soundtrack today)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks

thats next week!
  • Options
    if a jap satelite has been knocked out then theres a chance more might be tonight. goodbye internet connection for a while maybe ...and i hate mobile phones anyway!
  • Options
    I wasn't referring to armageddon.. but I cried my eyes out at that too

I dont wanna get whipped by the sun !
    go out and have a look rachie. you should be far enough north to maybe get a glimpse.
  • Options
    what am I meant to be looking for.. cos I've been out in search of the northern lights
    santa going past on his sliegh with big head lights on the front.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Very odd!

Why? im morbid ok..
  • Options
  • Options
    1) Effects from a coronal hole could reach Earth within the next 5 days.
    2) Material from a CME is likely to impact Earth within 96 hours.
    3) There is a possibility of either M or X class flares within the next 48 hours
  • Options
    what am I meant to be looking for.. cos I've been out in search of the northern lights
    Buttnor1_med.jpg

what makes this so interesting is that this is the largest radiation storm to hit our planet since the 19th century. the five million miles and hour blast that swept past our little blue planet today (28th) has already cuased radio blackouts and instrument failures
    here on earth and aboard man made satellites. it is looking like the next two weeks could break previous records.
    in the 19th century there were no electronics ...now we have an electronic society from medicine to money to war. comunications, data storage etc ...all of this is extremely vulnerable over the next couple of weeks. never before has our delicate electronic existence faced such a test. could be an interesting couple of weeks ...
  • Options
    My friend (an astronomer I know) said that the biggest flares could reach about 280,000km. This is like, huge! :crazyeyes

But if the Aurea Borealis is supposed to be seen around Europe, it must be bloody impressive up here! Too bad I think it's snowing, and thus, is cloudy. :(
  • Options
    somehow i think i'll see none of this thanks to the nice layer of pollution over the sunny skies of london :rolleyes:
    its scary though, just think, one big bit of fire and we could all die...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    My friend (an astronomer I know) said that the biggest flares could reach about 280,000km. This is like, huge! :crazyeyes

But if the Aurea Borealis is supposed to be seen around Europe, it must be bloody impressive up here! Too bad I think it's snowing, and thus, is cloudy. :(
    i'm gobsmacked you saw nothing in iceland! keep your eyes open for the next two weeks ...by all accounts it's looking like a big build up to a spectacular.
    the sun should be in quite mode right now, having just died down from the supposed 11yr cycle. but for some reason it's doing the opposite. over the last week it has fired quite a lot of these huge plasma balls off. the one that winged it's way toward earth yesterday was like a cannon shot apparently. a hole in the sun ...bigger than the giant planet jupiter, lined itself up facing the earth and then fired this massive blob of plasma at us. the exciting bit is another spot of the same size looks like it might join up with the other to make a massive historical cannon ...if it aims it as us again it should be very interesting indeed.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    No wonder our digital TV connection has been so rubbish the last few times we have watched it!! You have solved a mystery for me Mr Roll......
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    No wonder our digital TV connection has been so rubbish the last few times we have watched it!! You have solved a mystery for me Mr Roll......
    LOL ...glad to be of service. lots of interference on phones as well.
    if this thing gets as big as it's looking it might ...the yanks could be screwed in iraq as their military are so electronic reliant. that would be interesting but ...the mullahs will convince the people that allah has blah blah friggin blah ...
  • Options
    That spaceweather.com site is really interesting, is there an equivalent for Europe, does anyone know?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    That spaceweather.com site is really interesting, is there an equivalent for Europe, does anyone know?
    this one might be ...http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMY3X7O0MD_index_2.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    this one might be ...http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMY3X7O0MD_index_2.html

Perfect Mr Roll!!! Thank you very much.