Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discrimination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hum have any of you ever suffered from discrimination? I've never suffered from discrimination that is highlighted most of the time: race, being a woman, etc.

But I do find sometimes people show me less respect than they should because I'm a 'guy' :confused: (by respect I mean the decency to show common curtesy and not be bitchylike :p) and etc. and I know if I was a girl this wouldn't happen. Just rubs me up the wrong way cos nothin I can do about it really...

So have any of you had any serious or non-serious discrimination, or just treatment in a different way because you fit into a certain 'group'?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Discrimination
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    being a woman, etc.
    your a woman?
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    But I do find sometimes people show me less respect than they should because I'm a 'guy'
    how the feck does that work out?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Discrimination
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    your a woman?
    how the feck does that work out?

:lol:

i had to read it a couple of times
  • Options
    :p

No I find that sexism cases are just about almost always women saying they don't have equal rights because they're a woman, not the other way around. But I think it can work out that way :confused::confused:

Heh and I meant, people have treated me worse than they would treat a woman by the 2nd one.
  • Options
    :lol:
    I had to read it at least twice too!
    I kinda get what he means tho
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    I kinda get what he means tho

Woo! :D
  • Options
    when have you been unfairly treated that would even show up on the scale of how badly as you see girls get treated? please tell me, im dying to know.
    huh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    when have you been unfairly treated that would even show up on the scale of how badly as you see girls get treated? please tell me, im dying to know.
    huh?

hmmm this isn't a 'guys get it worse' than girls thread. and i dont want to make it into a 'girls get it worse than guys' thread. i just merely wanted to make a 'everyone gets it bad sometimes' thread. Ok?
  • Options
    you said you get unfairly treated i wanted to know how your unfair treatment compares to girls unfair treatment
  • Options
    Yeah..

Im bisexual, was disrespected and have never really been accepted by most lesbians ive met because some lesbians dont trust bisexual girls. Sooo many of them have told me that bi girls are sluts/lie about their sexuality in the sense that theyre straight but just want to sleep with girls for fun/cant be trusted to be faithfull etc.. so even though i have a few lesbian friends ive faced a lot fo prejudice and discrimnation from most lesbians that ive met.

It got to the point where i was not telling them i was bisexual just for them to give me the time of day. I have bisexual bloke mates who have said the same is true of gay blokes. And i have gay mates of both sexes who constantly bitch about and misunderstand bisexual people.

Faced loads of discrimation. But, i see it as a good way of sussing out who i want in my life. If someone is going to be prejudiced towards me, i dont want them in my life, means that the people i do have in my life are QUALITY!!!
  • Options
    I have...

..the boys I train with refuse to kick me as hard as they would each other because of my gender. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    I have...

..the boys I train with refuse to kick me as hard as they would each other because of my gender. :p

ooh i get that with the lads i get the bus with, bully's!
  • Options
    Got shouted at by man on the street in arabic, and got angry looks, which made em run away FAST when he saw my star of David. Though my friends told me it was my own fault, since I was wearing it, and was walking at the same pavement as him, and could have walked away. :rolleyes:
    And it's so tiny :(

In school, we were working in groups, and then discussing something about the origin of a word, and in which context it was used, and one of the guys said "Tal is analysing the Danish language", to which the other looked at me and then said "she can't really, can she? Look at her". refering to the fact that my parents aren't Danish :yees:

But yeah, those are pretty mild things really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Got shouted at by man on the street in arabic, and got angry looks, which made em run away FAST when he saw my star of David. Though my friends told me it was my own fault, since I was wearing it, and was walking at the same pavement as him, and could have walked away. :rolleyes:
    And it's so tiny :(

This went right over my head. I didn't understand at all. Do you mind rephrasing it?

In school, we were working in groups, and then discussing something about the origin of a word, and in which context it was used, and one of the guys said "Tal is analysing the Danish language", to which the other looked at me and then said "she can't really, can she? Look at her". refering to the fact that my parents aren't Danish :yeees:.

Now that's just stupid! You are a Danish citizen, you speak it fluently, so why the HELL did people think you couldn't analyze it ( though I understand this was taken out of context).
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    This went right over my head. I didn't understand at all. Do you mind rephrasing it?

Tal is walking along the pavement. She wears a teeny tiny Star Of David (it really is small), she passes a man, he notices the pendant, start yelling and cursing at her in arabic and geticulating wildly with his arms. Tal gets scared and quickly runs away with her friends. The friends later say that it's her own fault since she was wearing the star in public.
  • Options
  • Options
    Although this in't as bad as religion, race, sex or anything like that...

I changed schools from a comprehensive to a Grammar to go to 6th form. When I got there a lot of people were quite snotty to me because I came fom a comprehensive school, despite the fact that I achieved as high or higher grades at GCSE than them. I felt really shite about myself because of this, so I turned to some of my friends from my old school, thinking that they might offer support or sympathy. We all went out for an evening, and a load of them had a giggle over something, and when I asked what it was over, they said things like "Oh, dont worry, your too clever for little things like this" and completely left me out.

How shitty. But as I said, pales in comparison to most things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    she's jewish. a star of david is a jewish symbol.

don't they teach you anything in school these days? :rolleyes:
    they do, aparently he just doesnt attend R.E......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    she's jewish. a star of david is a jewish symbol.

don't they teach you anything in school these days? :rolleyes:

There really is no need to be so patronising. The way I read it, I thought that the man was cursing her, then he saw the star, and then he ran away.