Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Internet Relationships Good and Bad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This has to be one of the most interesting topics of modern day .. the whole meeting the person of your dreams on the internet... I've heard a couple of people's stories in previous threads .. but I don't seem to recall if anyone had any really bad experiences of meetin someone on the internet who turned out to be totally different from the way they appeared online.

(would also be good to get an update fro those of you having good online relationships).

Comments

• Options
    I'm currently in a long distance internet relationship (with sporadic phone calls and suggestive txt's :naughty: ). However, we met in real life first, and just kept talking. Long Distance Relationships are really hard if it started as a face to face thing, but if they start out L.D., they seem to have a much higher survival chance.

On the other hand, the whole "I want you here: NOW" thing does get a little old after not very long.:mad:
  • Options
    I did meet someone off the internet once, but it turned out we had mutual friends so it was fairly "safe".

Apparently I'm totally different in real life, but she wasn't. Although we didn't meet with a view to getting together (at least, that was not my motive) I did end up asking her out. But she said no, very embarrassing but we still keep in touch and stuff.
  • Options
    I've never really had any disasters with people I've met online. Well apart from one guy. God knows why I went out with him...albeit only for a month and he won't speak to me now...oops....I think it was the fact he was rich that kept me that long. But he just bored the life out of me...it was all work work work and he was thick as two short planks...not meaning to sound harsh, I can't help needing some intelligent conversation with a partner.

I met Asa online and thats going great. At the time we met he lived in the local town to me, so it was really convenient for us. Then he moved back to Manchester for various reasons and although it's still only a 40 min drive yeah it put some pressure on us, mainly cos of work hours not giving us a chance to see each other or to chat really. But now I'm in Manc as well at uni and things are looking up again, although still not a great deal of time we get together. I know there's no way I want to lose him and we will both fight to keep the rel together however hard things get.

I've nver done the whole long distance net relationship where we've ever met. Seem to only meet people within an hour drive of my house.
  • Options
    Internet Relationships can be good so long as the 2 people are close together, for example, a town or 2 away. I met my ex online and she lived the other side of Manchester from me but sometimes I was at uni in Kent, that put a big strain on our relationship and we split up, when I got back to Manchester we got back together and things were a lot better but now unfortunately we are no more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Macca1983
    unfortunately we are no more.

awww
    :(
  • Options
    They are ok as long as you know that the person is telling the truth, I met some one here actually as some of you may know, I went out with her for a while but we broke up. Then fairly recently I talked to her and she decided to show me what she really looked like! I had done nothing to her to make her lie to me and I can't believe I was so naive as to believe that some one would be nice to me without a catch.
    This person disgusts me.
  • Options
    You never know if you're going to get along with someone until you meet them.
    As far as long distance relationships go I don't think they can really work.
  • Options
    i met *lisa* for lunch in Birmingham a couple of weeks back, and it was an absolute disaster. Turned out she was so madly infatuated with me she had a picture of my face tattooed across hers. And she wanted to have my babies. which is near impossibe. nice girl though :p
  • Options
    Im in a long distance relationship and things are working out fine. I think its just depends on the people and how willing they are to put the effort in for the relationship to work.
  • Options
    the first guy I met off the net was ok, but he wore a wedding ring (said it was a present from his dad..hmm) and had 2 mobile phones that didn't stop ringing, and funnily enough he would never answer them in front of me!! He lasted about 3 dates.

The second one seemed like the perfect bloke to start with, then we went to the pub and omg...he drank like a fish and seemed unable to stop. He confessed he had a real alcohol problem, so he had to go, after he had a huge slanging match with my sister!!

And the third, well u prob already know about him, but I seen him for a year but it turned out in the end he already had a long term gf and me....the bit on the side!!

I'm not up for meeting anyone off the net again! It's too easy for people to lie or edit the truth, or just cover up aspects of their personality that are not necessarily attractive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    I'm not up for meeting anyone off the net again! It's too easy for people to lie or edit the truth, or just cover up aspects of their personality that are not necessarily attractive.

I'm probably guilty of that. But then I've only met 4 people from the net (and they'rea ll mates anyway) and we're all just mates there was never any pretence of going out etc. Though I did fancy one of them for a fair while :blush:
  • Options
  • Options
    I've got to admit, internet relationships are *anything but* the traditional sense of dating. However, you could argue that all it is is an extreeme L.D.R., which people count as a "genuine" relationship. As to the fact that you've never met them, well it simply means that the relationship is based on personalities, not just how fit the person is. :p
  • Options
    im in a long distance internet relationship, he lives about 400 miles away from me, we have met up a few times, and things are going great, we've been together for about 9-10 months now and in that time we've met each others parents.

I do think though that LDRs work better if they start long distance, but you both have to be willing to put in the effort and trust each other.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    this is really not meaning to sound harsh, but how on earth can you go out with someone you've never seen? how can you have a proper relationship if you've never met?

have to agree with the lady.

i was in a long distance relationship for a year (still in it, but not long distance anymore) and even then i saw him all weekend every weekend.

i don't understand how you can have anything more than a flirty friendship with someone you've never met.

even with someone you only see 4 times a year or whatever. you have no idea what they're really like.

and for whoever said that it means you just like their personality. well, i hate to shatter your illusions, but real relationships are based on everything about that person. the way they act, the way they look, even the way they smell, sometimes, and if you never meet them how the hell can you know all those things?
  • Options
    I think it depends on the people in the relationship, if you want it to work you'll make it work. I may not live near to my boyfriend but I speak to him everyday, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.
  • Options
    QUOTE: "i hate to shatter your illusions, but real relationships are based on everything about that person"

I would agree to a certain extent that if I found someone physically repulsive I probably wouldn't date them, even online.

However, before you try to shatter my illusions, perhaps I should point out that even in a "real" relationship, there are going to be things that you don't like about your partner. You will never find a person who is an absolutely perfect match for you, but in the end you'll find someone with enough of an overlap that you don't notice the down sides.

That said, I think that I would have to agree that you can't have a "traditional" relationship if you NEVER meet a person, because there is so much more to a girlfriend/boyfriend than just talking.

In my case, we met in real life first and then after that we struck up an internet relationship. It probably *DOES* help that I know that she isn't fugly, doesn't act wierd and doesn't smell like the Yeti :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_smith
    In my case, we met in real life first and then after that we struck up an internet relationship. It probably *DOES* help that I know that she isn't fugly, doesn't act wierd and doesn't smell like the Yeti :)

then (a) it's not just based on personality at all, is it?

and (b) you were not included in my 'people who have never met'.

:|
  • Options
    Your point being.... ? :)
  • Options
    I met some one here actually as some of you may know, I went out with her for a while but we broke up. Then fairly recently I talked to her and she decided to show me what she really looked like!
    How could you have not known what she really looked like if you had gone out with her for a while? :confused:
  • Options
    fake pictures maybe
  • Options
    I have had loads of internet relationships (I really shouldn't shout that out should I :p?), and I find that I am more myself with those people because I can be myself quicker when I am on the net. I am a lot more confident, because people don't see what I look like straight away, and I am very paranoid about the way I look. I am so much different when I first meet people, and there are a few people on here who can vouch for that.

I am currently in a long distance sort-of relationship, and it's ok, as I've met him before (granted a long time before I started flirting with him online - but hey) and I saw him a week on Saturday, we aren't 'together' as such, but I miss him like hell, and after last weekend I didn't stop grinning for a week because of him and what happened with him. Blegh, I miss him even more now *sigh*
  • Options
    I thought i'd give the old internet thing a try, Unfortunately we were quite far a part!! approx 600 Miles!!
    We decided to go out for 3 months and met twice lol
    Dont do it
    Jez
  • Options

And the third, well u prob already know about him, but I seen him for a year but it turned out in the end he already had a long term gf and me....the bit on the side!!

I remember, what did u do in the end?
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I remember, what did u do in the end?

I've moved on, still speak to him on msn, but after you find something like that out...theres no going back is there really?!?! I'm still pretty gutted about it all, but the revengful side of me is coming out.... I feel like exposing him on "Trisha" or in "Take a Break". Any suggestions??
  • Options
    I've moved on, still speak to him on msn, but after you find something like that out...theres no going back is there really?!?! I'm still pretty gutted about it all, but the revengful side of me is coming out.... I feel like exposing him on "Trisha" or in "Take a Break". Any suggestions??
    Well is he still with his girlfriend living a happy life thinking he's got away with it? Do you have photos of you together?
  • Options
    He is indeed...grrrrr. I have pics of him at my house, and plenty of evidence of him having been here. Problem is, all I know is her name is Cathy and she lives in Bath. Can't see me getting very far with this one! Any ideas?
  • Options
    He is indeed...grrrrr. I have pics of him at my house, and plenty of evidence of him having been here. Problem is, all I know is her name is Cathy and she lives in Bath. Can't see me getting very far with this one! Any ideas?
    hmmm you have to trick himin to giving up information about where he is....he cant go on being happy ever after and you like this if its really getting you down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    hmmm you have to trick himin to giving up information about where he is....he cant go on being happy ever after and you like this if its really getting you down.
    *makes note to never mess nasty vicky about* :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    *makes note to never mess nasty vicky about* :p
    lol

I think you should trick him into meeting up with you and get the girls number out of his phone, then we can go from there :yes: I'll be your mentor :D

Oh n its nasty Vic :D