Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Hi, I'm Rob..."...Yeah right!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just read the column on chat-up lines by Karla Fitzhugh who suggests that instead of classics like "Pick up your coat darlin', you've pulled", guys try a different tact at meeting women and actually just come right out and introduce themselves. This intrigued me and I decided to give it a go along with some mates down at the local.

Having put my trust in the hands of someone whom I assumed was somewhat of a prodigy on the subject of relationships, I was shocked to have my innocent lines smacked out of the ballpark with comebacks such as "So?", "Yeah, and I'm 'Not Interested'" and "Get away from me you creepy, creepy little man" (I was getting pretty desperate at this point.)

Now, I wasn't especially bothered (Kelvin Sampson's theory of starting out with "You're ugly but you intrigue me" hadn't worked either, so I put it down to having an off-night), but the thing is this...If a girl came up to me and introduced herself, I'd be more than willing to have a gabble. I definitely wouldn't go about stamping out any last shreds of self-confidence she had by in return introducing myself as "And what?". Now maybe it's the age of the girls I'm approaching (17...no, I'm not a 40-year old stalker! I'm also that age.), but it seems like they enjoy making it as hard as possible for a guy to even have a chance of chatting with them. Now girls, can you please reassure me that some of you are actually up for a good time and that you aren't just in pubs to laugh at and gun down guys' attempts at conversation?!

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but if you don't look like a Quasimodo and were not entirely wasted, then the girls you've been trying to talk to were impolite bitches.
    There's always a nice way of letting the bloke to know that you are not interested unless he's a really daft prick.
    As for me, even if I don't like the lad that comes up to me and introduces himself, I still say 'hello' and my name.
    but it seems like they enjoy making it as hard as possible for a guy to even have a chance of chatting with them. Now girls, can you please reassure me that some of you are actually up for a good time and that you aren't just in pubs to laugh at and gun down guys' attempts at conversation?![/B]

Yeah... here you are right. If I feel good about myself and confident, I always wind that lad up to see if he'll give up or if
    he really wants to pull me ;-)) he-he. I know it's cruel, but it is having a good time :-) However the ones with a sense of humour, the ones who will stay and keep talking get everything ;-)
    You see, in a group of girls on a night out it's considered cool to gun down lads. Especially, among the good-looking ones, who get a lot of attention from real creeps. However a nice lass still won't be rude to you.
    My advise is to keep trying and remember that sometimes she says "So??" just to test if you can go beyond just introducing yourself.
  • Options
    Poor you! If a lad came up to me and introduced himself, I'd think he must have guts. I agree with Anele, the girls you came across must just be bitches! Don't worry, we're not all like that.

Jenny xxx
  • Options
    Well i have a bit of a weird story of how i met my b/f! I woz wit 4 mates on one side of the river & he woz wit 4 mates on the other side of the river! We had never seen them b4 & they'd never seen us b4 & my now b/f shouted across 2 us "wot year r u in?" & i started shouting back 2 him then they all came over 2 us & we got chatting & exchanged numbers! I've been wit him 4 just over 1month now! I agree wit wot the others r saying! U must just be picking the wrong girls! I hate making the 1st move so even if i don't fancy the guy i still talk 2 him but let him know i just wanna be mates! I think u should carry on making the 1st move!