Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Father Ted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Father Ted, the comedy series about three priests living on a haven of weirdos known as Craggy Island. Not on telly any more but you can get it on video/DVD (and occasionally see repeats). Anyone know it? Do you like it? Do you hate it? What do you like/hate about it? etc.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think everyone in Britain and Ireland at least must know of it. Fantastic programme it was, definately one of the best comedies of the 1990s on TV.

One of the guys who wrote it, Graham Linehan, also wrote a TV series called "Black Books" which is set in a London bookshop but has an Irish owner and is just as funny as Father Ted! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

One of the guys who wrote it, Graham Linehan, also wrote a TV series called "Black Books" which is set in a London bookshop but has an Irish owner and is just as funny as Father Ted! :D

I've seen it, and would say sometimes it's funny, sometimes it isn't. A good effort but nowhere near as funny as Father Ted was.

They have DVDs of the first and second series of Father Ted on sale round HMV in Guildford at the moment . I don't know what there is in your area but it's worth checking out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by will haycock
    They have DVDs of the first and second series of Father Ted on sale round HMV in Guildford at the moment . I don't know what there is in your area but it's worth checking out.

Yeh the HMV in Belfast probably have them on sale too so I reckon I'll buy them with a little birthday money I've got kicking around. Nothing like a few good comedy DVDs!
  • Options
    i love them! when i have some more money i may buy the whole lot! (using my newly attainted 25% discount and WHSmiths;) )
    I have thefirst series of black books on dvd :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I have thefirst series of black books on dvd :)

I've got it on video and practically know it by heart!

I didn't like the second series so much but I still wish they'd release it on DVD and hurry up with the third! :mad:
  • Options
    Tea Father?

ahhhh go on.
  • Options
    Father ted is a brilliant show, my friend told me all the episodes of father ted is coming out on dvd soon..i'll have to get that.
  • Options
    Sounds like it may have been an interesting show. Too bad it probably wasn't on over in the the U.S.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Tea Father?

ahhhh go on.

I really shouldn't, Mrs Doyle. The house is on fire, so everyone's got to get out. Like now. I can see the door burning.

Oh alright, you've persuaded me. :D
  • Options
    oooh, i'd love a poptart ted :D

father ted kicks ass, its such a shame he died :(

i love the episode when they go to the caravan and graham norton is there as well with a group of kids and they're all doing riverdance in the caravan and they manage to tip it over. that is a fucking class episode,lol :D
  • Options
    What we really need is a new Father Ted. Ardal 'o Hanlon is completely wasting his time acting in My Hero. No-one is going to take him seriously if he keeps on doing that. We need to persuade him to do a new series of Father Ted: how about something like he inherits the parish after Father Ted Crilly dies or something?
  • Options
    but if they did that, wouldn't in be called Father Dougal? it doesn't quite have the same ring to it really
  • Options
    "Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests...more drink!"

Classic program, one of the best comedies ever I think.

I'll always remember the extended Christmas special, I laughed all the way through literally from start to finish! :D
  • Options
    I absolutely loved it, really tempted to buy the entire series on DVD now!

One of my favourites was the Song for Europe one
    Altogether now : "my lovely horse...."
  • Options
    I've got the box set, with all 3 series in. Got it from Tesco last Crimbo for 40 bucks.:)

Definately one of the greatest comedy series of all time.:hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by sprocket
    but if they did that, wouldn't in be called Father Dougal? it doesn't quite have the same ring to it really

You suggest the name!

Ants:
    I've got the box set, with all 3 series in. Got it from Tesco last Crimbo for 40 bucks.

Definately one of the greatest comedy series of all time.

Good man! :D

(Just one thing though: I thought 'bucks' meant 'dollars', which I'm sure you don't use in Wales. Did you get it in the States?)