Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ive worked out who Heydrich is!

He cant be anyone else than Richard Littlejohn!!!
THERE are now 250,000 people in Britain making a living working as counsellors in one shape or form.
This could be related to the news that the thickest and least able university students all go in to social work.
When did the stiff upper lip become the quivering lower lip? Counselling is the biggest growth industry in town today.
Every time there’s a road accident, squadrons of counsellors arrive before the fire brigade.
One insurance company is even offering free grief counselling with its pet plans.
Sainsbury’s actually paid someone to counsel a dog which had been disturbed by contractors building a new supermarket. What kind of job is that?
According to Madsen Pirie, of the Adam Smith Institute, a free-market think tank: “The amount of public money wasted on counsellors must be billions of pounds a year.
“Counsellors are worthless. After an accident they swarm around like a plague of locusts offering their services, even though it has been proved that victims who are not counselled recover faster than those who have been.
“If you are burgled these days the only service you get from the police is a letter offering counselling. They would be better off chasing the crooks.”
That could have been me speaking. In fact, a friend of mine was offered counselling after his mobile phone was stolen from his car.
He explained patiently that both car and phone belonged to his company. He had no personal attachment to either.
The broken window was replaced quickly and he bought a new phone the next day.
Job done.
A nuisance but it happens.
He had not taken to drink, any more than usual. He had not visited his doctor for a sedative. He was not about to throw himself off a bridge or lie on the East Coast mainline. But still the police thought he should see a counsellor to help him cope with his “trauma”.
To my mind, counselling is worse than worthless. It is positively damaging.
How on earth can forcing someone to relive an accident or a death in the family again and again help them get over it?
Most people just want to be left alone to forget what happened and get on with their life.
I’m sure all these counsellors are well-meaning, but it strikes me as a peculiar thing to want to do for a living.
Too many of them are the medical equivalent of motorway rubber-neckers.
Wallowing in other people’s grief is not a way to behave.
How does it help for someone to pour their heart out to a complete stranger with the bedside manner of a nonce?
What is really worrying is that there’s enough work to keep all 250,000 of them busy. It only serves to reinforce my belief that the country has taken leave of its collective senses.
Stress is what makes the world go round. It makes people perform, achieve, improve.
Counselling encourages the belief that we are not responsible for our own actions. If we screw up, someone or something else must be to blame.
From here it is but a short hop to the courts in pursuit of com-pen-say-shun.
The Samaritans even put a team of counsellors on standby to deal with people who couldn’t cope with Big Brother.
I’m surprised Channel 4 hasn’t been sued yet in a class action.
People who can’t handle watching a room full of misfits and inadequates doing very little on TV should be sectioned, not indulged.
Come to think of it, I’m going mad just thinking about it.
Do you think I need counselling?

Surely this man still being alive is a travesty of justice?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good God, the man is a disgrace..........

How can he have hte cheek to suggst that other people are a) stupid and b) their jobs are worthless when LittleJohn himself is quite obviously a moron and works writing total crap for the S*n.......

What kind of job is that?
  • Options
    Oh my God, the other comment peice on that link is even worse.........

AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Oh my God, the other comment peice on that link is even worse.........

AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :crazyeyes
    I know! "Norman Tebbit is shrewd"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    No one has ever explained satisfactorily why the explosion in sex education has coincided with a boom in teenage pregnancy and an epidemic os sexually-transmitted diseases.
    He has a point. Does sex education make kids want to have sex? Perhaps if children weren't told in graphic detail what sex was and how to do it, they wouldn't be doing it.
  • Options
    I had sex education when I was 10.

All but a few do not have sex to significantly later (however much hypwe may be given to 12/13 year olds with babies) so where is the obvious link?

Once kids reach a certain age they will want to have sex anyway, it is natural.

How can informing them of the risks and of the precautions they can take be a bad thing? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    He has a point. Does sex education make kids want to have sex? Perhaps if children weren't told in graphic detail what sex was and how to do it, they wouldn't be doing it.

This is rubbish IMO. Kids have curiosity about sex from a young age (I certainly did from about the age of 10), teaching them about it is a way to avoid young pregnancies and promoting sexual health IMO.
  • Options

I knew at a young age that part A goes into socket B. Its not something thats difficult to understand.

Teaching them that not only does A+B=baby, teaching them how to stop baby and how to stop A+B=herpes cant really be a good thing.

The trouble in this country is not the sex education, but that it is not placed in a moral context. Not "keep your knickers up love", but teaching AT A YOUNG AGE how sex something that is only any good in a loving relationship.

I suppose though that if girl C sees mummy with a different guy every month then shes gonna end up thinking the same. Its amazing how many children born to teen mums go on to be teen mums themselves.
  • Options
    He has a point. Does sex education make kids want to have sex?

i doubt it. we didn't get any sex education until we were 16, and still about 10 girls in my year were pregnant at 14.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I
    The trouble in this country is not the sex education, but that it is not placed in a moral context. Not "keep your knickers up love", but teaching AT A YOUNG AGE how sex something that is only any good in a loving relationship.

I suppose though that if girl C sees mummy with a different guy every month then shes gonna end up thinking the same. Its amazing how many children born to teen mums go on to be teen mums themselves.

I don't think this is a teen Mum thing at all.

I think the majority of people are happy to have sex outside of a loving relationship so it seems hypocritical to tell kids otherwise.

Do a poll on Anything goes or Sex and i think you will find most people in favour of casual sex...........