Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can depression/self-harm be hereditary?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Cause, like, my mum and my dad used to both self-harm (only found this out recently (and if anyone tells Lizzy - well just don't please!)) and my older sister used to. My dad once tried to kill himself, and nearly died were it not for someone finding him at the last minute. But I've been cutting my legs, and I don't really have a reason, I can't anymore because my mum found out and took my scissors away and we now have an 'open door policy' which means I have to keep my bedroom door open at all times so they can see what I'm doing. Course it also means Bertha can come in whenever she likes . . . damn it.

But anyway yeh could it be hereditary?

Comments

• Options
    It's controversial. Some people would try argue that it may be hereditary, but as far as I'm aware there's not much in the way of proof.

I mean, some try argue that certain people are more susceptable to addiction to things like heroin because it may be in their genes, but you can't prove they become addicted easier. It's all down to personal opinion and beliefs.

It is, under no circumstances, a scapegoat for your actions.
  • Options
    maybe it can be.

but i think it's more likely that you learn behaviours and ways of coping from them.

i found out recently that my dad is emetophobic (like me) i didn't know that for years and years and years despite having the phobia myself. it was never obvious to me.

but looking back i realise there were certain situations he would avoid, and things he wouldn't do, and i think it's highly possible, if not likely, that i subconsiously 'learned' my fear from him.
  • Options
    I never knew about it until now though . . . it was all before I was born, so I can't have copied them.

And z0ma I know it isn't an excuse for what I did!
  • Options
    one side of my family all the women had eating disorders

the other side all had depression in some form

lucky me i got both! so yeah i would definatly say it was hereditary
  • Options
    When I read up on manic depression it suggested that it was hereditary..if one parent has it, 1 in 3 chance the kid will, if both have it its 50% chance.

Tho I hope general depression isn't...my nan and my mom both "lost it" at their menopause times so I'm hopin thats not to come!