Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hmm..Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was really sure where to put this but i guess coz its school related it should go here. Basically i've just started 6th form and i've run headlong into problems with teachers. I've been at my school for 5 years and never really had any serious problems before but this year..gah.[Oh and i'm doing french, german, gov &politics, eng lit]second week of lessons i was doodling in a lesson whilst watching a video and the teacher got the doodle and went mental which was deserved coz tbh i was being a twat.so i get hauled into the head of 6th form's office which i thought was gonna be about this.but it wasnt.i found out that 2 of my other teachers had been complaining about me in one lesson "talking too much" and in the other being "bored and uninterested". my 6th form has quite high standards and i was told that if i did anything else wrong they'd kick me out. so ive spent the past 3 weeks trying SO hard to be perfect student but i just cant.im distracted all the time i have other things on my mind and i got in more trouble on friday so dont know if i might have my parents phoned on monday.i dont know what im doing i just feel like everything i do is wrong.[/rant over] so basicaly what should i do? i dont know how to make things better and i cant talk to my parents about the problems coz they'll just go mental. gah.
xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you're distracted all the time is it because you're not enjoying the subjects...?

Maybe you're just bored with school in general - you could look at transferring to a college and doing something more vocational like NVQs or a BTEC.

Depends on whether you have ideas on what you want to do after school. If you want to go to uni then try using that as your motivation to concentrate more in lessons, rather than using the threat of being thrown out of school. If you don't know what you want to do after 6th form then I guess it's harder to work as much in lessons - you'd feel like there's no specific goal to reach.

Hope that's of some help :)
  • Options
    Could you maybe talk to your careers advisor...? Not just about after school, they should be able to give advice about A-levels too.
  • Options
    I wanna go to uni and its not that im not enjoying the subject its just..i feel i have more important things to worry about that school. and teachers keep telling me i shouldnt be at school which is kinda disconcerting.the careers advisors at school are really crap and i CANNOT talk to my parent sabout if.they've just recovered from my GCSE results.
    xxx
  • Options
    Kirsty what you need to do is talk to one of the teachers you feel comfortable with. Explain some of the problems that you have had in the past, if they dont know whats bugging you then they really can't help you. They will think that you are just being a stroppy pupil, if they knew some background they will start to help, give you a bit of leighway and understand why you are acting like you are.
    If you can talk to a teacher about some stuff they will try to help you. Just make sure you speak to a teacher you feel comfortable with talking to.
  • Options
    That sounds really bad. The teachers are supposed to be there to support you, not to threaten to have you thrown out over every little thing.

What about changing school? What other sixth forms are in your area? Are there any sixth form colleges? I say this because I know someone who was having a rough time at her school sixth form, and she changed to a sixth form college and loved it. You'll find you get treated much more like an adult at a sixth form college, so if that option is available to you I'd suggest you look into that. Especially if it is definately AS levels that you are wanting to do.

As for careers advice - are there any connexions centres or similar in your area, rather than seeing a careers advisor through school?
    If not, I'm sure there's a link on the connexions website to speak to online careers advisors and so on.
  • Options
    See the one teacher i thought i could maybe talk to was the one who had a go at me on friday..but i spose she was saying how she was really concerned about me but i couldnt say anythin i was trying so hard not to cry.and the other teacher i spoke to said if i didnt talk to my parents about it she would.the blackmail so not helping.my parents will go mental if i suggest changing.gah.its just really getting me down.and my form tutor and me dont get on so thats a bit pointless. and honestly the last careers meetin i had consisted of us discussin how noisy the heater was in the room we were in:rolleyes:
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    my parents will go mental if i suggest changing.

Even if it means you'll have a better time and therefore do a lot better?

What about senior tutors, anyone like that? People that don't know you that well, so it might be a bit more neutral talking to them?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Even if it means you'll have a better time and therefore do a lot better?

What about senior tutors, anyone like that? People that don't know you that well, so it might be a bit more neutral talking to them?

yeh i told them i didnt wanna do a-levels in the first place but they made me.

yeh i may do, coz i really cant cope with the way its going.thnks:)
    xxx
  • Options
    Dont let anyone decide you want to do..if you dont wanna do a-levals dont.. its your choice from now on...be a lil more independant hun...as for the other problems i dunno how to help. i suggest a few things on msn..

im here if u want help

take care :)
    R_B
  • Options
    yeh i told them i didnt wanna do a-levels in the first place but they made me.

How exactly are they making you?
    What exactly is supposed to be your motivation here? 2 years of something you hate...for what?
    You need to stand up for yourself. Get yourself down to connexions, stop talking about the friggin heating and find out what your options are. When YOU know what they are you can make and informed decision about what you want to do with YOUR life and YOUR time. Then, and only then will you be in a position to talk to your parents and tutors about what you would like to do.
    It's half way through October. Sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    urg, sounds just like my 6th form it was a nightmare. Something just changes when you hit A-levels your supposed to concentrate all the time and not do anything wrong. Took me ages to adjust, nearly the two years i was there. Bear in mind that they wont just chuck you out wthout a REALLY good reason, and stick at it.

If they want to talk to your parents tell them to go for it, its your life, your studies, your parents should now be quite irrelivant. If you really are doing nothing wrong apart from being a bit to sociable then stick at your studies just try not to destract anyone else to much.

But as proof that you should never listen to any twat teachers with a bee in there bonnet. check this

I was close to gettin expelled from my secondary school.
    I was told to drop out of 6th form due to not being good enough and i would never get a job.
    I was asked if i really wanted to be at 6th form and that i should leave.
    My teacher told my uni that i was not a good student to have.

I am now studing a maths degree at cardiff uni. so fuk all those people who tell you what you shoud be doing.

If you fail your A-levels after two years, so what? go do something else. dont drop out of a good 6th form just because some prick of a teacher don't like you.

Bopz
  • Options
    Two things.

1. If there arent any teachers at school you can trust, and the careers advisor is rubbish, then go and see Connexions- theres one in every half-decent town and they are quite good at listening to everything and helping you make your own mind up.

2. Of course youre going to be distracted and disinterested in your studies if you dont want to do them. GCSEs can be negotiated by a stick- just- but if you want to do well at A'Level then you have to want to do A'Levels. If you dont then, seriously, youd be better off seeing whatever else there is on offer that takes your fancy- Modern Apprenticeships, vocational courses at college, even A'Levels at college if the school atmosphere is what is off-putting. A'Levels arent the be-all and end-all, and, to be quite fair, if your parents cannot grasp this then they should be invited to go do something obscene with a garden implement.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info/advice, i'm gonna sit down and really think about what i wanna do and then talk to someone about it.
    xxx
  • Options
    i'm gonna sit down and really think about what i wanna do and then talk to someone about it.
    xxx

nice one :thumb:
  • Options
    Ok thought i'd update. Basically after said incident on friday the teacher did tell the head of 6th form. So tuesday morning i got hauled into the office except i just sat there and burst into tears. They were really good about it and just talked to me and stuff. The only really bad thing that came from it was that a conversation with my form tutor that i thought was private asn't.they are all openly discussing me which is irritating me no end.Thins are kinda ok today i was just really annoyyed [with myself] most of tuesday and i've got stuff going on at home so i know i should tlak to one of my teachers but i want it to be private not discussed amongst countless teachers.schmeh.
    xxx
  • Options
    im sorry to hear that your teachers are arsehole hun...

just work out what you want and take care

best wishes...*hug*