Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why the Catholic Church should be eradicated from the face of the Earth

The Vatican: condoms 'don't stop AIDS'

On top of the millions who have been murdered over the centuries, on top of the tens of millions oppressed and tortured, on top of their corruption, Nazi collaboration, spread of hatred and homophobia and countless other atrocities, the Catholic Church happily helps spread one of the most serious and horrifying diseases in the history of mankind.

How low can you get?

:mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Great isn't it, but they have a point if you understand their faith.

No sex should be taking place outside of marriage, therefore AIDS would only be passed on through other methods and thus a condom is irrelevant. As you should also not be a drug user then the chances of infection are also reduced.

Other than that I can only point out that faith has never really sat well with scientific "fact"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh, just read the article.

Morons.
  • Options
    Unfortunately in many places in Africa and elsewhere there is pandemic lack of information about STDs- and a pandemic of HIV+ cases, with some countries having up to a third of its population infected.

That the Catholic Church uses its massive influence in many of those countries to discourage the use of condoms could even qualify as manslaughter. It's repulsive beyond belief.

Disgraceful!
  • Options
    Surely it doesn't sit entirely well with the faith either?

If you shagged around as a youth but later repent to Jesus and become a god-fearing member of the Catholic Church, then surely you should still be wearing condoms, despite being a 'good' person now? :confused:
  • Options
    You would not be a "Good" Catholic is you were using condoms. They are a form of birth control and not allowed under Catholic strictures...
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be worse to knowingly infect someone with a deadly disease?

Do Catholic scriptures not deal with moral complexities?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Wouldn't it be worse to knowingly infect someone with a deadly disease?

Nope because the passing of the disease would be an act of God. His way of punishing someone who had sinned...
    Do Catholic scriptures not deal with moral complexities?

Not to my knowledge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Nope because the passing of the disease would be an act of God. His way of punishing someone who had sinned...

But like I said in the situation above and considering the Christian ideal of redemption and atonement surely that doesn't make sense?
  • Options
    But like I said in the situation above and considering the Christian ideal of redemption and atonement surely that doesn't make sense?

Ah, but the individual cannot control the virus, thus it is God's judgement whether it gets passed on or not.

Remember, not everyone who has unprotected sex with an infected individual ends up with the disease. It just increases the risk.

BTW I don't subscribe to the Catholic Church's perspective on this (or just about anything TBH) but it helps to understand a different mindset sometimes.
  • Options
    I know you don't agree with it........

If Tony Blair did this it would cause utter outrage, but how many people think of the Pope as an utter bastard? Not many

Why do we still apply different standards to religious instituions than to civil organisations just because religious organisations are utterly out of touch with the modern world?
  • Options
    If Tony Blair did this it would cause utter outrage, but how many people think of the Pope as an utter bastard? Not many
    Depend who you talk to though. Most of the people I know well enough to ask for their opinion think he's scum.
    Why do we still apply different standards to religious instituions than to civil organisations just because religious organisations are utterly out of touch with the modern world?
    Good question. So much for separation of Church and State...
  • Options
    aladin i agree fully.
    years ago i read a book that was written around 1900, by a catholic priest. i cant remember the name of it but will find out if i can
    it is a study of part of the book of revelation. the part dealing with the destruction of 'babylon the great'. it describes the fine garments, the expensive woods, gold silver, purple robes etc. the murder of innocents and the wars it has been involved in. it explains that god sees it blood guilt as piled right up to heaven.
    it goes on to explain ...in the bible itself ...that this whore ...sits on the seven hills of rome ....
    the only conclusion this priest could come to was that babylon the great was the catholic church. if you ever get the chance to read a plain english bible i think you will agree with his conclusion.
    so ...if he's right aladin ...you would find that your desire to see the destruction of the catholic church as being in full agreement with the god of the bible or at least with it's maybe prophetic writers.
    keep sasying i must get a bible ...there is stuff in there that is so anti religous that religous people somehow manage to avert their eyes from those passages ...to continue to delude themselves.
  • Options
    So why does everybody rip on the Catholic church when there are other mainstream religions that hold masogynist, racist or homophobic qualities?

What about the cult of Malcombe X for example (an anti-white islam sect) or that jewish prayer where they thank god that they were not born a woman? What about the caste system?

I don't understand why everybody gives Christianity such a hard time when any fundamentalist religion holds some values that we may see as wrong After all, these books are written by somebody hundreds/thousands of years ago and are bound to be dated and biased.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    So why does everybody rip on the Catholic church
    it's entire history is bloodshed. people who tried to teach the bible ...killed. people who translated the bible into common languages ...tortured then killed. how can you equate that with christianity? holding the bible up to be there book of truth ...but don't let the people see what it realy says.
    it's support of hitler and the gassing of jews? loads of religions are bad ...maybe all of them but this one ...have a read of the book of revelation as i stated before ...who else sits in power, over many sees and is based on the seven hills of rome?
  • Options
    I do not agree with the behaviour of some Christian fundamentalists and I alwso recognise that there are a lot of gospels and books missing from the Bible including one that mentions a goddess called Sophia.

But at the same time, I've never seen any posts about here saying how Hindu fundamentalism or muslim fundamentalism is wrong... why does everybody pick on the Christians?
  • Options
    at least the other bad religions kill the followers of other bad religions as a rule if i'm not mistaken ...i'm not talking your average war where christians kill christians, more ...the catholic church has a history of killing catholics and christians ...i don't understand how people manage to think that catholic = christian!
    if we could ask the guy who started it all ...mr christ ...or at least read some of his writtings ...do you think he would see the catholic church as resembling in the slightest the christian faith?
    what would he make of the pope? mr christian rode into town on a smelly donkey ...the pope is carried on a bleeding throne! people have to bow to him and kiss his ring! did you know when ever a head of state, be it king or president ...meets the pope, they have to kiss his slippers! while mr christian was humble enough to wash the dirty feet of a common man ...wheres the christian bit then?
  • Options
    Wow, you'll still awake too?

I agree with what you're saying in that I don't believe a lot of fundamentalists follow the original teachings. mary magdeline was a prostitute for example... yet many Christians have a problem with sex before marriage... still, jesus was cool with her.

As for the pope, he's amazingly rich, but doesn't the Bible say something like...

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god" ?

The Catholic church has billions invested in arms yet the Bible says "thou shalt not kill" and there are so many books left out of it...
  • Options
    Well according to many people chrisianity not just catholic is suposedly one of the biggest hate groups ever...

here is what my seach on google said

Christian Identity
    ... The FBI calls it the nation's most dangerous hate group. And it's growing in Missouri
    Christian Identity beliefs The movement "is not Christian," says minister ...
    Description: Collection of archived media coverage of the group.

and the matching url for this

Christian. the biggest hate group ever

Now this is a tiuchy subject for me as i am a christian and i believe in some but not all there ways....
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    ...i don't understand how people manage to think that catholic = christian!
    if we could ask the guy who started it all ...mr christ ...or at least read some of his writtings ...do you think he would see the catholic church as resembling in the slightest the christian faith?
    what would he make of the pope? mr christian rode into town on a smelly donkey ...the pope is carried on a bleeding throne! people have to bow to him and kiss his ring! did you know when ever a head of state, be it king or president ...meets the pope, they have to kiss his slippers! while mr christian was humble enough to wash the dirty feet of a common man ...wheres the christian bit then?

spot on and absolutly right, the catholic church is about as far removed from christianity as taught in the Bible as paganism is.

read the article and yes: morons with a massive lack of understanding and compassion (that they are meant to show)

:mad:

So yes Al, the system should be eradicated, but perhaps not the people.

BTW the Bible, in my opinion, doesn't really teach that God punishes people for sinning eg. psalm 130 If you, O LORD , kept a record of sins,
    O Lord, who could stand?
    But with you there is forgiveness.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs

So yes Al, the system should be eradicated, but perhaps not the people.

definately not the millions of catholic faithful! the organisation yes.
    "get out of her my people .......
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    So why does everybody rip on the Catholic church when there are other mainstream religions that hold masogynist, racist or homophobic qualities?

because the topic was started in response to a major new story and the catholic church is one of the biggest religions in the world, simple really............
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

I agree, can you imagine if a government in one of the affected countries made this governmental policy? There would be worldwide outrage and condemnation of the ignorance which would lead to such a policy. Because it is the holy mother church it is seen as acceptable policy, no matter what harm it will cause and how much work it will undo from organisations like the WHO.
  • Options
    I know money is usually no problem for the Catholic Church :rolleyes: , but a first step would be removing all help, whether direct or indirect that they receive. Such as 'charity status', tax relief for donations, etc.

The Pope (and his soon-to-be-in-charge successor) should be declared 'persona non-grata' in countries everywhere until they make a public rebuttal of their earlier comments (pretty much what they've been doing to scientists and thinkers everywhere who dared to suggest the earth was not the centre of the Universe, under the threat of death) and banned from travelling to those countries if they do not comply. An abandonment of their homophobic, hatred-filled position towards homosexuality would have to change too.

And we could start converting old Catholic churches into nightclubs. They make superb venues! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    An abandonment of their homophobic, hatred-filled position towards homosexuality would have to change too.

Actually I think it was only the gospel of Paul that had homophobic teaching... so really, if Christians are educated enough then they'd understand that this is just one man's opinion... but aaaaah, ignorance is bliss eh?

Originally posted by Hobbs
    the catholic church is about as far removed from christianity as taught in the Bible as paganism is.

But Christianity takes a lot from Paganism, not the other way round. For example the placing of the Christian callender... in fact when early Christianity came to the british Isles they seemed to get on alright, although the Christians did try and convert the celts. Early celtic Christianity had some beautiful concepts, such as the Anam Cara. However, the Catholic church... I don't agree with what they do even if I hold the belief that we should be free to have our own beliefs.

One thing that a lot of people don't know is that there are five other gospels 'convieniently' left out of the Bible (going back there wasn't a 'Bible', only a collection of texts written at that time). These were the Gospel of Thomas, the Egyptians, of Philip, of Mary and of Truth.
  • Options
    Hey Moonrat, do you have a source for that info, I'd be interested to have a look.......
  • Options
    Moonrat, when you state Bible do you mean the old testament? New testament? or the two combined?

Btw, christianity has a lot of customs origining in paganism. Initially so the pagans would adapt to the new religion faster and easier.
    For example the christmas tree. The fewest people know why people celebrate christmas with a tree, but it is a pagan tradition to mark teh fact that the days are now getting longer and thats oon nature will start blooming again. Has nothing to do with christianity whatsoever.
  • Options
    Same with Easter, and most of the Christian feast days are held on the same days as traditional pagan ones - All Hallows Eve and Halloween????
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    All Hallows Eve and Halloween????

is the same event.

Anyway, many people have had beef with the catholic church over the years. That is why the whole protestant movement started. Oliver Cromwell (a famous puritan) hated catholics. He (and others like him) believed the church should be devoid of all decoration. He wasn't too keen on the pope, with all his riches etc. Can you blame him?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Because it is the holy mother church it is seen as acceptable policy, no matter what harm it will cause and how much work it will undo from organisations like the WHO.

But the simple fact that if people listened to the word of God and DIDNT SHAG AROUND, then AIDS would soon disappear from the Earth.

Saying that condoms dont work is dangerous in the extreme, but the policy behind the gobshite is one that shouldnt be mocked so easily. If people wre monogamous and stayed away from drugs then, in quite a short space of times, AIDS would disappear. The reason why AIDS is so prevalent in Africa is because they are deeply, deeply promiscuous. Simple as.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    An abandonment of their homophobic, hatred-filled position towards homosexuality would have to change too.

The hate is a bastardisation of parts of the Bible though. And its not good catholic beliefs, in the same way that just because some social workers like interfering with children, and some others cover for them, that does not make all social workers evil.

All through both Testaments it is stated that sex outside of marriage is a sin, and that the SOLE PURPOSE of marriage is to procreate. Hence why a) homosexuals cannot have sex and b) contraception is against God's will. The Catholic Church's default position is not anti-homosexuality, but anti-sex outside of marriage. And as at marriage you promise to have children, and stay monogamous, de facto that means that homosexuals cannot have sexual relations.