Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New space race?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3170524.stm

Is the development of the Chinese space programme likely to lead to rivallry with the US considering the history of hostility between the nations?

Comments

• Options
    Nah, I don't think it will. If anything it will be good for all.

The friendly rivalry between NASA and ESA to find traces of life on Mars for instance is helping accelerate advances in rocket technology. Every mission launched is another step forward.

The only US concern might come from military applications. China already has ICBMs but I'm sure they will welcoming any discoveries and advances and apply them to their next generation of ballistic missiles.
  • Options
    You don't think the American military might be worried about an increased potential for the Chinese to use space based facilities to benefit their own military?
  • Options
    I believe there is a treaty dealing with non-proliferation of weapons in space. It is the one thing the US and the former Soviet Uniion had adhered to. Space is weapons-free at the moment and technically nothing stops China from placing nukes in orbit- although it'd be a very foolish thing to do.
  • Options
    Sounds fair enough, but haven't the US been trying to put stuff in space as part of Star Wars 2, and haven't the Russians allowed them to do it in return for increased aid?
  • Options
    That is true, the infamous (and ultimately useless) Son of Star Wars.

By going ahead with this worthless scheme Dubya has destroyed all the non-proliferation treaties that have worked so well for decades.

I don't know what's in for the Russians but they've already said they're re-starting their missile development programmes in order to beat the Defensive Shield- if the Yanks can ever make it work which most people doubt.

I guess the difference is that the weapons are- theoretically at least- designed to attack ballistic missiles, not the countries below. But laser technology improves constantly, and it would be relatively easy use some of the lasers the system will required on targets on the ground.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Nah, I don't think it will. If anything it will be good for all.

The friendly rivalry between NASA and ESA to find traces of life on Mars for instance is helping accelerate advances in rocket technology. Every mission launched is another step forward.
    I would agree with that. The more countries there are with space programs, the faster technology will progress. I would love to see a man on mars in my lifetime. I'm too young to have seenthe moon landings, unfortunately.

Perhaps if we can get China involved with the international space station, it might even help heal the rift between the US and China, rather than forcing them further apart.
  • Options
    I just hope they don't pollute space too much.

It'll only come back to haunt us sooner or later!
  • Options
    Is the development of the Chinese space programme likely to lead to rivallry with the US considering the history of hostility between the nations?

If it were 1962 maybe.

If this is a space race aren't the Chinese off the starting block a bit late?

Another question would be, could the Chinese have pulled this off without the help of US companies Hughes and Loral transferring sensitive ballistic missile technology to the Chinese during the Clinton Administration?

Loral provides sensitive technology
  • Options
    Or the Russians helping them at every stage of the preparation and launch of this mission...

So long as it is not for military use, 'space races' are to be welcomed.

I reckon we will have a winner of the X Prize (the contest where private individuals aim to send people into orbit by their own means) within 5 years as well.
  • Options
    I think it's a great thing. Perhaps we'll start to see a new major player on the world stage instead of having to put up with the USA.
    I can see Europe joining forces with Asia, rather than the US. The US, I believe has become far too isolated, rearing its head only to kill a few people then leaving again.