Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Tories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think the Tory party would benefit from replacing IDS within the next few months or would their electoral hopes be furthered damaged by another round of infighting?

Does it even matter who their leader is or are they doomed forever?

Comments

• Options
    Let him stay! Let him stay! :D

I think the best thing they could do would be to replace him. People are extremely unhappy with Labour, but can't see IDS as a replacement for Tony- or anyone else.

If people were given a chance to be excited about the Tory party again, the Tories would capture a lot more votes at the next election. But who on earth could be inspired or excited by IDS???
  • Options
    So you think their policies are good enough to win more votes, it is just they way they are presented?
  • Options
    there was a rather funny sketch on Deadringers on Radio4 the other week. David Blunkett was saying he was going to scrap ID cards in favour of IDS cards, so we could identify who he actually is...

made me laugh and this thread reminded me of it.

who else could do the job?

how long has he been leader? has he had enough of a chance?
  • Options
    He has been leader for two years now but doesn't appear to have got that far despite Labour being in the shit seemingly constantly for the last year............

I personally don't think changign the leader would have much effect as the Tories are just utterly in the wrong position, new labour have stolen so much of their ground that they have little room to manouevere.........
  • Options
    Their policies are not very inspiring either I must say. Although would always get a number of people willing to vote Tory if only a real leader was in charge, it's the floating voters they need to convince.

In the best BNP style they're grasping at straws without making much sense. One of their more stupid new ideas consists of removing the asylum system so they can pay for 40,000 more policemen. They work on the principle that asylum is always on the agenda, and so is law and order. But few people other than the rabid xenophobic or the Daily Mosley editor would be asking for the removal of the asylum system. Nor do their numbers make much sense. They said 40,000 more cops, they might as well said 2,000,000 more cops. Somehow there is the impression that they're just throwing big figures at the electorate in an attempt to woo them, but without actually having a clue on how it could be done.

The 'sheriffs' idea could potentially be good but it is one that I fear will be laughed off by many. And considering the average turnout for local elections and voting, I can't see people dying with anticipation to vote for a new 'sheriff' in their area. One for the 'Cone hotline' department?
  • Options
    Do they get big silver stars and get to act like they are in a Sergio Leoni film, I would vote for that...........:cool:
  • Options
    I for one would like to see the Tories on the way out...

But if they want to stand a chance, they need a leader with more charisma than a boiled potato and initials that don't make you think immediately of a sexually transmitted disease!

Much as I dislike him, I do think that Ken Clarke may be a viable alternative. Perhaps too left for the Conservatives at large, though?

Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Much as I dislike him, I do think that Ken Clarke may be a viable alternative.

Oh God no, anyone but him. He is a dinosaur, a relic of the days of Thatcher. And he's pro-euro.

We need someone new and fresh. I was a big fan of William Hague, maybe he should be given a second chance. My other choices would be David Davis or oliver Letwin.

IDS is useless as a leader. Where Hague layed into Blair at every opportunity, IDS has been silent as a church mouse.
  • Options
    Hague sure was good at bar room jokes and raising a laugh. But what did he have to offer?

Do you remember the much trumpeted "Common Sense Revolution", for instance?

I won't blame you if you don't...

The Tories (and that's not exclusively the fault of their leader) give out a message of a dying, confused, broken, polarised party with a severe drought on ideas and policies.

They would need to start producing clear policies and ideas (instead of their usual and tired number-throwing without backing up "let's save x billions by getting rid of asylum seekers", "let's put 27 million more policemen on the streets") pretty soon, and they would need a new leader who shows charisma and determination. Clarke might be pro-euro, but he is also a very intelligent man who can get across many people from all sides of the spectrum. I can't see many anti-euro would be candidates who can speak of anything else other than the euro and the EU.

As it was proved at the last election there is life after the euro and the EU. The public care most about public services, and to be frank the Tories are to public services what Herod was to children. Unless they change that image they're not going to get far with floating voters.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Tories are to public services what Herod was to children.

interesting metaphor for one who's rather anti religion

;)
  • Options
    I don't think Clarke would be much use because as you say Slog he his pro-EU and being anti-Europe is about the only policy where the Tories are in touch with the majority of people........

Letwins recent Asylum proposals clearly show him to be an utter idiot, they are all crap!!!
  • Options
    the tories? aren't they that rather eccentric pressure group that used to actualy be a political party?