Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tonsils

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

Today I went to the hospital because I had an appointment to see a doctor so he can look at my tonsils and write me out some forms so I can get my tonsils removed. I have a long long history of throat infections, so now apparently is the time to have them out, although I disagree because I'm currently in year 11 and I really cannot afford anymore time off than I already have.

So the doctor looked at my tonsils with a light and a metal pole that tasted disgusting. Then he said, "Wow, they are huge!". Of course, being dirty minded, I completly took that the wrong way and started laughing, with his stick in my mouth the whole time. Wait, that sounds bad too...

So hes putting me on the waiting list, hopefully for another year or so. I don't care really if they come out or stay in.

Have you had your tonsils out? Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Tonsils

Im actually off skool atm cos ive got tonsilitus again for about the 10th time in the past 4months! ive been in hosp on a drip 3 tims since feb 2002 with it..pretty shit! lucky me is getting my tonsils out on the 27th october!! woohoo!!! no more tonsilitus for me!!! YEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

(oh and aswel im yr 11 and can afford this time off either but its so painful and cant talk etc so dont really think can go to skool... 27th oct.. roll on!)
  • Options
    Wow, you sound just like me. Except I havent had a throat infection since last month now, yay.

I'm waiting to have mine out like I said. It'll probably be 5-8 months at the minumum!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kayleygrub
    Wow, you sound just like me. Except I havent had a throat infection since last month now, yay.

Lucky you! mine just keeps reoccuring again and again, im on penicillin permanently now til they come out!

[/B][/QUOTE]I'm waiting to have mine out like I said. It'll probably be 5-8 months at the minumum![/B][/QUOTE]

Gutted!
  • Options
    I had about 11 bouts within 2 years before they finally took mine out. And I was a bleeder which lead to an infection in the wound which lasted for ages & felt like tonsilitus

*grumble grumble grumble*
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyRed
    I had about 11 bouts within 2 years before they finally took mine out. And I was a bleeder which lead to an infection in the wound which lasted for ages & felt like tonsilitus

*grumble grumble grumble*

:eek: owch didnt that hurt, how come u bled! *is getting scared now*
  • Options
    They had to delay my operation as I had a bout of tonsilitus when it was scheduled, so I had it just after I got better but I obviously hadn't fully recovered so they had to stitch my throat ip.
    On the plus side, I did pull a fitness instructor whilst in hospital :D
  • Options
    Re: Tonsils
    Originally posted by Kayleygrub
    So hes putting me on the waiting list, hopefully for another year or so. I don't care really if they come out or stay in.

You'll get your op within nine months. Guaranteed.

Unless, you choose not to, of course.

Have you had your tonsils out? Discuss. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, about 25 years ago. Can't remember much about it TBH.

My youngest had his out when he was five, was home the next day eating Salt and Vinegar Crisps...

Do you know if they are going to admit you as a day case (i.e. no overnight stay in hospital)?
  • Options
    I could tell you a really horrible story about my cousin who had his out... but i wont cause i dont want to worry you :p
    I used to suffer from tonsilitis constantly. My bro did too (our dad did when he was younger and 'grew out of it'). He had his out years ago and they wanted to do mine too. I wouldnt let them (was ickle and scared) and then it just faded and i've not had it since... Been years now...
  • Options
    i still have tonsils.

*shows them off*

they're one of the only parts of me that actually work. i think i've had tonsilitis about 4 times in my life. and three of those times were last winter.
  • Options
    Had them whipped out when I was 7. My favourite part had to be the premed - I don't know what the hell was in it, but I really want to get some more :D
  • Options
    I suffer quite a lot with my tonsills and ive been advised to have them out if I get anymore probs. My docter said they are there for fighting infections though and its not always a good idea to have them out once you have started adulthood. The thing that confused me is if they are for fighting infections, why do they get infected:confused:
    I think im going to stick with mine though, as my mate, Stevie had hers out and they grew back with avengance! They caused her more trouble than ever!

Not lots of help but thats my experience.